Search Unity

Slow fullscreen in the browser...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by taumel, Jul 17, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

i've experienced in some examples that when i've running an application in the browser on osx/ppc that the application is running approximately at only half of the speed in fullscreen mode compared to windowed mode where it runs at 100%.

This is somehow irritating as i would have guessed that windowed mode should be slightly slower than fullscreen and not the other way around and then not this much. Runnig doubletime here, not changing the resolution properly, ...?

Has anyone experienced similar behaviours and knows what's the reason for this?

Regards,

taumel

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

My first guess is that it's the full scene antialiasing. At a larger resolution it costs a lot more. You can set the amount of antialiasing for web builds now in the Quality Manager.

-Jon

3. taumel

taumel

Hi,

AA is disabled...my settings are:

Pixel Light Count 2
    Blend Weights 2 Bones
    Texture Quality Full Res
    Aniso Forced On (otherwise it looks suckish in the scene)
    AA Disabled
    Sync to VBL false

But it also doesn't make sense as it should be the same resolution. Changing a 800x600 window into fullscreen should keep the same resolution and do fullscreen at 800x600. As aliased as the pixels are this is the cases unless there goes something wrong and it scales them even further on the desktop resolution for instance.

Regards,

taumel

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Pixel Lights can also really eat performance at high resolutions. Are you testing this on a Radeon 9200? If so, it's the same card I have, and pixel lights are usually only decent at 640x480 and 800x600 type resolutions.

I don't think there is a perfect solution for web browser full screen resolutions. It's doing the most intuitive thing as-is. Forcing a resolution in fullscreen would be a bad idea.

-Jon

5. Morgan

Morgan

I found I needed some quality settings options in the browser version, so I added controls for that. Just a key that cycles three pixellight settings: 0, 1, and "maxpixlights," a maximum which equals the user's quality pref (in the standalone version) or the game's default (in the web version)--but is always at least 2. You could just use a fixed value for the maximum if you wish.

Code (csharp):
    2. private var maxpixlights : int;
    4. function Awake ()
    5. {
    6.     maxpixlights = Mathf.Max(2, Light.pixelLightCount);
    7. }
    9. function Update ()
    10. {
    11.     if (Input.GetButtonDown("Quality"))
    12.     {
    13.         Light.pixelLightCount ++;
    14.         if (Light.pixelLightCount > maxpixlights)
    15.         {
    16.             Light.pixelLightCount = 0;
    17.         }
    18.         if (Light.pixelLightCount > 1)
    19.         {
    20.             Light.pixelLightCount = maxpixlights;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }

6. taumel

taumel

Hi,

actually this was my fault. I did the project, untiy crashed it and when i redid it i forgot to redefine the fullscreen resolution. So it was the problem that it was running at a resolution lower than the desktop's resolution (so much for the jaggies) but higher than the web-resolution (so much for hte slowdown).

@aarku
    Yep 9200er and it's like you've written the card is very picky with the pixel lights above 800x600. Even using AA on 800x600 is a lot faster than whithout on 1024x768...

Thanks,

taumel