Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow download speeds

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Prodigga, May 3, 2022.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

Hey there

We are observing really slow download speeds using addressables.

We have 240mb worth of that which takes 10 minutes to download on our wifi connection (100 megabits per second connection)

We can download the bundles directly from S3 (visiting the (public) url and downloading the files manually), and it is very fast.

Something seems wrong but am not sure what.

I suspected maybe it had to do with LZMA compression. Unity needs to decompress the downloaded bundles. I thought maybe this was artificially inflating the download time. But I created LZ4 bundles and same problem. Very slow download speeds. We have Chunked HTTP transfer turned on, max concurrent set to 500 (Default). Unsure what else I can check/do?

My code to download all bundles at the start of the game looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var resourceLocator = await Addressables.InitializeAsync().WithCancellation(ct);
    2. var downloadOpHandle = Addressables.DownloadDependenciesAsync(resourceLocator.Keys, Addressables.MergeMode.Union, true);

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

It seemed to be a mixture of factors. The device was on Wifi but not 5G, so it was only downloading at about 15 megabits per second. This alone wasn't enough to explain to slow download speeds though - 240mb in 10 minutes is approx 3.2 megabits per seconds. We changed the concurrent count to <20 and we were able to utilise all the bandwidth successfully. (see here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/max...ts-setting-best-practices-for-mobile.1133422/ thanks @Peter77 )

Peter77 likes this.