Search Unity

Sliming Unity's Framework?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triLight, Jul 1, 2014.

?

How big is too big?

1. > 1mb

40.0%
  2. > 512 mbs

40.0%
  3. > 2gbs

20.0%
  4. > 700 mbs

20.0%
  5. > 8 gbs

40.0%
  6. > 16 gbs

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. triLight

triLight

I doubt it since Unity is a multi-platform development tool for games and various purposes but I was wondering a way there was a way to slim the Unity framework? I believe that they were 'modulating' or 'sectioning' Unity's internal configurations for Unity v5.

For instance; when you build an empty project it can very, especially for various platforms like mobile (iOS and Mobile), large on these platforms. Would I have to go native or is something in the works that would allow Unity to not compile various components into the final build. Like if I don't use sound, anything that Unity complies into the build associated with sound within it's own framework wouldn't take up space.

To put in simpler terms: Could Unity 'detect' my assets and code and remove any unused framework files (for a lack of a better word) like it does with assets?

I realize this is a tall order nor possibly possible without extreme overhaul or maybe not at all. This won't affect my decision on buying Unity Pro at a later date but it was something I wanted more information on.

2. Saxi

Saxi

They need a better way to distribute updates. So you can run patches that are truly patches and not re-downloading the entire thing. Some of us are on two operating system and have to do this twice.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It partly depends on what you do in your game/app... e.g. if you use procedurally generated content your file can be way smaller.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This is in the works:

Arowx likes this.
  5. Marble

Marble

I've been waiting for Unity to add slime support ever since Gooball fell flat.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014