Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

sliding physics box shapes

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Lev, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Lev

Lev

dear unity-team,

i simplified the TinyPhysics example. i just put boxes on top of boxes on a plane.
    when i run that, the boxes slide slowly until they fall down to the plane and stay there.
    you can have a look here: https://www.the-smart-way.at/concepts/lev/wind/

1. how can i fix that? (friction is at 5 already)
    2. it seems like the continuous collision is not resulting in 0 velocity. but then: why is that not happening on the floor?

thank you very much for your help,
    best,
    lev

2. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Hey Lev
    Maybe change the boxes physics body to kinematic

3. Lev

Lev

dear abdul,
    thank you very much for your answer. this can absolutely be a solution, but i fear not in my case. the idea of that game is to show, what different wind-strength is able to do to buildings and things. this is the reason, i do that with physics.

4. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

OK so I created a similar project then I created an empty game object in the subscene and added "Physics Step" component
    after that checked Enable Contact Solver Stabilization
    the boxes are now stable
    Please try that and let me know if it works for you

upload_2020-7-31_14-19-55.png

5. jdigi78

jdigi78

This is a valuable thread as the proposed solution works, but could anyone please elaborate why this solution is needed? This simulation instability didn't exist in the built in physics system and the solution seems like a bandaid as the tooltip for this option mentions it may cause "simulation artifacts"

6. jdigi78

jdigi78

Apologies for the double reply but this solution is unacceptable, as the simulation artifacts resulting from this are worse than the original issue they aim to solve. You either have boxes that slide on their own or a laughably inaccurate physics simulation. Are there any plans to fix this in the future?