Search Unity

Slenderman survival WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TJG10, Sep 22, 2013.

1. TJG10

TJG10

Im working on my horror game its called slenderman survival where you play as a male guy trying to find that slenderman is real idk what his name but im pretty sure im new to unity 3d there are no screenshots and videos yet but i will if you can give me a download link to the flashlight (with a hand holding) flashlight script with audio and other tips and tricks of making a game i will make the game beter and release the demo version

2. melidian

melidian

You're not really supposed to come on here asking for people to give you the location of models or scripts you can ask for help on how to create them but that's just like me coming on here and asking for people to give me everything for my game.

If you really need a flashlight model, an arm to hold it, and a script to turn a flashlight on and off I suggest roaming around on google or YouTube for some help.

One more thing is that if you have nothing to show (Screenshots, Videos, etc..) I suggest you don't make a thread yet.

I have created a free flashlight model you can use but it's not UV mapped.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/196234-Free-Simple-Flashlight-For-Dark-Horror-Games-Free

Best of luck to you and your game! :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. TJG10

TJG10

Thank you be sure to subcribe to me Elite-Force Studios for trailers updates and more :) http://www.youtube.com/user/EliteForceStudios

4. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Honestly.. If you're not an artist.. and you're not a programmer.. and you have no knowledge on how to create these (Any 1 of the requested items) then you really have no reason to have Unity3D installed on your machine whatsoever.

Not trying to be mean.. Those are just the facts. Unity3D is a development tool for developers which you are not. You should learn how to do something before trying to use it.

5. TJG10

TJG10

Here's the footsteps flashlight the lighting for my slenderman survival [video=youtube_share;4SLytP-a-Ts]http://youtu.be/4SLytP-a-Ts

6. GoodEnoughGames

GoodEnoughGames

The man has a point.

7. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

This is something new and original, I'm sure people will like it. This will probably be a best-seller and a game that many will enjoy.

What? I'm completely serious. I've never heard of this "Slenderman" before. Very interesting concept.

lol give up

8. melidian

melidian

Yes it's true this isn't new or special but it most likely is this mans first game so he's starting small. I don't know that for a fact but I assume so. On these forums you're supposed to help and encourage people to create games. Not put them down and tell them to "give up". So please just don't attack this man with negative feedback he's making something and people should support him. I for one will.

9. TJG10

TJG10

Working on the flashlight pickup any scripts for the flashlight script?

10. TJG10

TJG10

I think i should not work on the flashlight script sorry :(

11. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Quite nice, especially for a beginner in unity3d.

but i would recommend learning modeling, texturing, programming first.
    they are an important part of games. but i do understand it can be hard but its best if you do that first before you just start on a game immediately.

i would like to help out but imgoing to be very busy on my game pretty soon.

so if your looking for a flashlight script. i would recommend creating your own.
    but i can tell you have no prior knowledge of programming what so ever.

but if you are going to go in to proggraming. i suggest to learn UnityScript (JavaScript).
    its quite easy to use for beginners and i highly recommend it.
    you may chose to learn like Boo, or C# but thats okay.

if you have trouble on something

thats when the unity scripting reference comes in handy
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/

it helps out a lot. i would recommend it if you have trouble on something.

Modeling is the easy part for people, its all about imagination when it comes to modeling. you can create anything you want in a modeling program
    and import it into your game. objects, buildings, cars, people, tress, what ever you want in your game.

textures are also an important part of a game. it defines what most of the object looks like. its very important so you game dose not have to look dull.

and my last advice. Aim small, you think you aimed small enough. aim smaller. seriously if you first go into unity its best if you try to complete a simple
    game in a short amount of time. than you can go a little bit bigger. its highly recommended if you do that. starting big on your first day is not a smart choice. you need to learn and get used to the program or engine your using. otherwise. you got no knowledge about the program and it will get hard.

thats most of the advice i can give you. everything else is on you.

i hope to see more on your game your creating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i do apologize if this is rude but

there is a reason for him to have unity in his computer. Its called a "beginner". i dont really understand why you would put rain on this post and discourage him that hes not capable of being a developer. the man is learning. i do understand the fact that you dont want to be rude. and also, Unity3d is not just a development tool for games. it can be used for other things. not just a development tool for games.

12. nbg_yalta

nbg_yalta

I think this tutorial series should help you alot: Slender guide

13. nipoco

nipoco

No matter how noobish his initial post is, I don't see a point to discourage him.

How do you seriously learn a software by not installing and trying it?
    You won't learn much, if you don't try it by yourself.

Really, this is elitist thinking here.

It's better to point him to something useful like nbg_yalta and melidian did.

14. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

First off. In regards to his original post, He wasn't asking to learn how to use the software. He was asking for components of a game to be handed to him. I was also referring to learning scripting and or modeling (Which is what was being requested). You do not need Unity3D to learn either of those. Besides, After reading this and his replies he made.. I'm pretty sure he posted this because he is trolling and looking for attention. So hop off your high horse. Have a great day :D

15. Adrianis

Adrianis

Yeh, I mean, wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of free 3D game engine with a simple editor where you can learn scripting add models to make a very simple game to learn with, rather than making models in a modelling program coding in Visual studio without anywhere to put them. Man, if only!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  16. nipoco

nipoco

The best way to learn scripting is by doing it, or examine how other scripts work. And quite a lot people start to learn scripting in Unity's IDE and some video tutorials... I don't see a single reason why he should not install and launch Unity. You don't need to be a seasoned 3d-artist, or coder to start Unity. That is actually Unity's philosophy.

You know, everyone has to start small. He's maybe quite young as well. That doesn't make him a troll. He posted already a short video and replied here several times. I troll usually doesn't do that.

Just think a second about your sentence
    and how that comes across to someone who is eager to become a game developer.

It maybe wasn't your intention, but it sounds pretty harsh and elitist like.

17. AustinK

AustinK

Really? I think you're the one that's on the high horse. Who are you to tell someone they shouldn't even have something installed? Unity3D is a tool in-and-of-itself. Yeah, he can learn coding with visual studio and some libs, but that's the same thing as using Unity and their VERY well done API Reference page, along with a mostly kind/helpful community (excluding people like you). It's easier to import models and animations, use particle effects, and the list goes on as I believe you're a Unity user. So... try not to be a jerk and just explain to him the best way to learn. Point him in the direction of the asset store, the api reference page, youtube tutorials, the unify wiki, etc. Don't tell him not to use Unity.

18. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Mk. To clear things up.. I encourage learning and believe Unity3D is a tool that every developer should have! Heck, Even people just wanting to understand how game development works should have Unity3D Installed. The 2nd post was more or less me being an arse and trying to stir the turd and it worked haha. Wasn't trying to offend anyone but when you're sitting at work with nothing left to do... Generally posting on forums helps time go by quicker :).

Have a good day everyone and best of luck to you. If you need any help with scripts throw me message and I can throw together some code for ya or point you in the right direction :).

19. Foestar

Foestar

So you were looking to cause a stir for attention? Doesn't that make you a troll?
    I'm gonna call you Trundle from now on!
    $lol-trundle-league-of-legends-3-0-s-307x512.jpg
    LOL :cool:

20. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Lol! I guess so.

21. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Nope - I agree with ExDeaDguY (despite how difficult his username is to type). While I wouldn't discourage someone from learning the software, don't post in the WIP forum and say "hey I'm making a game with some guy I don't know his name and can you direct me to scripts and models to do all this stuff for free". If you want to learn then go read a bunch of tutorials and other resources and then come back here and ask questions in the support or scripting sections. The response will be infinitely more positive.

22. welby

welby

When I saw this post yesterday, I admit, I wanted to rant all over it too,..hehe

especially when this part came up " i will make the game beter " ......but I has a resist!
    I really thought it was a trap!

If you seriously want to make the game better,.you should learn the programming,imho,.and not rely on preFab stuff and scripts handed to you.

Build it up, custom made,..make it your own.

I found these very helpful when I was starting out.

otherwise,.

$ngbbs4a675ca44e6be.jpg

23. Foestar

Foestar

Nope, my troll pic is better! No one's a better troll than Trundle!!! XD
    (but you do get points for yours)

As posted below
    That's what a girlfriend is for.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  24. wmgcata

wmgcata

That's not true! I had never ever touched modelling or scripting before, yet I still started learning both with Unity. Now I'm here. (It did take me 3 years for the basics, but it worked!)

Not trying to be mean or something, just pointing that out. ;-)

25. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Well, to be honest... I'm in the same boat. Except I had minor experience before Unity. Only difference is.. I came into Unity with a goal of learning and an ambition to create something that I could call my own and say "I MADE THIS!"

I would have had so much more respect for this post if it stated "Hi, Im looking to do this, this this, and that. Can you guys help me figure out why this chunk of code isn't working to illuminate my flashlight and guide me towards some tutorials on how to make some sweet models"

If you have a goal to gather free junk, throw it into a project and calling it a game then you don't deserve time or a polite response. No one is going to hand you a roast slow cooked to perfection on a silver platter with a side of mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese for free, you have to want to achieve, and learn for yourself and make your own damn food :).

Lmao. I'm hungry now. Btw, my mom might make that for me but she sure as well will be eating some too!

BTW I made a couple tutorial videos. They suck but maybe you will learn something from them :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wbOcS07BTI

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  26. TJG10

TJG10

WIP of my first level of slenderman survival $Unity 2013-09-24 22-03-27-74.jpg $Unity 2013-09-24 22-03-46-76.jpg

27. HolBol

HolBol

It's a big empty tiley terrain. Maybe this should go in small game works.

28. virror

virror

Keep up the good work : )

29. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

You learn to make games, coding, etc by finding stuff that works and picking it apart to find out why. And by trying to copy stuff that you like. TJG10 is doing both. I don't think he should be discouraged from that.

30. jameos

jameos

another slenderman game....really

31. TJG10

TJG10

The first person controller WSAD is broken is there anyway to fix it?

32. Adrianis

Adrianis

There's always a way to fix it.

In what way is it broken?

33. TJG10

TJG10

Idk

34. drewradley

drewradley

My guess would be that it is a very common Unity problem : User Error. The only way to fix it is to learn how to properly use the software. Start with every single tutorial here: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules
    If you have already finished them, do them again. If that doesn't fix your problem, then you will at least be able to tell us what is happening.

35. TJG10

TJG10

Slenderman survival name has been change into To the woods

36. fiberTHOR

fiberTHOR

Hey, Unity COMMUNITY:

Let's all be friends and help others that are interested in doing/learning the process of making a game. If you know how, or have learned how a certain way, help out a little by giving: hints, advise, links, notes, etc. I mean, that is what a gaming community is all about... right?

Maybe some feel that he just posted without searching anything. This could be the case here, but at least he has some basis on what he wants to do and put thought into it. That's definitely a start and is trying to quickly expand it. Just give the guy a break and help a little. Link to some learning website don't send or tell them anything else. IDK.

At least its something better than straight discouragment negativity.

.fT

37. TJG10

TJG10

38. TJG10

TJG10