Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Slender -- Beta 0.9

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AgentParsec, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well maybe not but hes the one that made it popular enough to go viral and it would be sad if he didnt capitalize on it.

2. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

The Slender Man is not my creation, but a character cannot be copyrighted, only trademarked (which the original creator has declined to do). A body of work can be copyrighted, so the actual Slender game falls under this.

3. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

Just so you know, AgentParsec here did not make Slenderman go viral. It went viral long before Slender (no offence AgentParsec, I really like your game)

4. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

Just waiting on Slender 2! :)

5. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

I agree he didn't make the Slender Man Figure go viral but he made the game and that went viral. So he boosted up the Slender Man so I'd say he did make it go viral all my mates have played it, before we did we didn't even know about Slender man so thanks AgentParsec...

6. Stephano94

Stephano94

Awesome game really freaks the hell out of me...only problem is have is it lags a little bit not too much that it ruins the mood but just so much that it is noticeable...im not sure why it's doing this...Not nagging but just wondering if you have any idea why this is happening...(It isn't my laptop because i play amnesia frequently)

7. pivotraze

pivotraze

Thanks for linking my game ;)

Honestly, my game is completely different. Different storyline, different actions on Slenderman, its a series, not a single game, it's fully voice acted, not just breath sound effects, it has more than just Slenderman in it, and it has many more cutscenes and all in it than Slender.

The only similarity in my game to his game, is Slenderman... which is barely similar at all since mine acts different, looks different, and even is fully animated. So... the character Slenderman has the same name, but is a whole different character.

I'm not dissing Slender, and I really hope it doesn't seem that way, I love the game. But I need to defend my IP from people thinking I'm just copying.

*EDIT* AgentParsec already knows about my game regardless, I told him about it a long time ago, after he posted a thread and I decided to announce mine as well.

P.S. I have been working on the idea for this game for almost 6 months now. Never posted about it because I wanted a fleshed out idea that will make a good game.

*EDIT 2* AgentParsec, I mean no disrespect to you or Slender. You know I love this game, and have been following it since v0.1, giving advice and tips along the way. But I hope you understand I need to protect my IP, and the only way to do that is point out the differences. I truly hope you don't take this the wrong way.

*EDIT 3* You wanna see a blatant copy: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=95349

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. pivotraze

pivotraze

Mediafire mirror for v0.9.6 (Did you fix the lag yet? This game should run less smooth than Call of Duty 4....): http://www.mediafire.com/?f94p2pixa5ppqmj

No pause? Make it set Time.timeScale to 0 when you hit Esc. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  9. Csubi

Csubi

Lag issue still not fixed for me, but still not given up hope! :D

10. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

I agree with you.

Here the code I used atm.

11. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I think "No Pause" is more of a design Choice than a technical issue. It really ups the tension knowing that you either push through the game or quit it. :)

12. virror

virror

I agree, don't add pause, thats a too easy way out ; )

13. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Being able to pause isn't easy or ruining anything. Not being able to pause is annoying as hell because sometimes other stuff comes up and you need to pause the game, particularly with children around.

As for the suggested code, that's a lot of code to just pause the game, it also prevents the user from custom defining those keys. All you really need to do is set the timescale to 0 and at least have it say paused via a gui label like so.

Something simple like this would do.

14. pivotraze

pivotraze

Almost exactly why I brought it up. I was playing with my friend and he went to go do something, and I learned I can't pause the hard way.

15. xniinja

xniinja

I think this would be a good way to go about pausing.

If you are pausing when slenderman is evidently close to you it won't let you pause because this would probably be out of fear, not actually having to do something. If you pause while walking around though, it will pause so you can go do what it is you need to.

16. xXBlackXXFireXx

xXBlackXXFireXx

Hey AgentParsec, I made an account just for this post.

I have tried every single version of Slender I could find. All of which, lag like crazy. Got 0.9.6 from the link on here. It even lags in the menu. I have everything in the lowest setting. The thing that makes me mad though, is that my computer isn't even a year old. It runs windows 7, and the windows index thing rates it's gaming graphics 6.2 out of 7.9 and it's RAM 5.9 out of 7.9. I ran Slender windowed at the lowest resolution, windowed, and ran task manager at the same time and saw it was using up 25 cpu average and about 200,000-220,000 k of RAM/Memory. I'm just wondering if there was anyway to fix this. Because I love the game, I've played it at my friends house. A lot. It's addicting. I just want to have the rush of Adrenaline at my own house at night.

17. NomadKing

NomadKing

^ Good idea that gives the best of both worlds :)

18. virror

virror

Yes, that was a very good idea.

19. Christiaan

Christiaan

i think the lag is caused by the amount of grass you have placed.

20. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

That may be, but the newer version lets you reduce the grass details, even turn it off entirely. Despite this, some people still have lag issues.

21. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Have you tried turning on stats in the test window and seeing if it's using up tons of memory or leaking somewhere?

22. Turtlegods

Turtlegods

My two cents: I love the idea of a pause that doesn't work when the Slender Man is close.
    Here's an idea (sorry if it has been brought up before): Animals.
    I think it would be really awful if there were a few deer than silently ran around in the forest. You're going along and you see movement/a splash of white (from the deer's tail/underbelly) and freak out, only to find it's just a deer. A few crickets and the occasional owl in the background would help make things feel alive, until you get to page 5 or so. When you approach page 5, all the ambient animal noise gets a little bit louder/more frequent and as soon as you pick up the page it stops in that moment. Complete silence. Now, as you are walking through the forest, there are no deer in the woods to scare you. Instead, there are randomly placed carcasses of animals. Everything but you is dead/gone.
    Cause the game isn't bad enough already.

23. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I thought about making a crow that would randomly spawn concealed amongst the grass, and if you got too close to it, it would abruptly fly off cawing. If I did do something like that, it would be a rare spawn, so that people aren't sure when it would show up.

I think the best idea for a conditional pause would be if you couldn't pause while there was any static on the screen. I may do that, if I can get a pause to work properly with the rest of the system.

24. popsiclestick01

popsiclestick01

This is so freaking scary! My GF told me about The Slender Man, and I then saw the review from Good Game, ABC TV. I got it a day after that. I got so freaking scared from a distance, but when SM got closer I got less scared. This is an epic game!

25. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

You can always donate some money to AgentParsec, let him get the Pro version, and increase performance by the tools in the pro version, and of course, do some Occlusion Mapping.

26. xniinja

xniinja

Well, Tobuscus played your game. That's a win in my book. SLENDER SCARES ME!!

Holy poop,
    That would be terrifying. This is an amazing idea. I too am making a horror game, it won't be ready for playing through for a while now but we are going through the ideas of horror and what makes it tick. This pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  27. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

By far the greatest play of Slender! :')

28. Ninetailorochi

Ninetailorochi

Hey, Agent Parsec, I recently just made a SLENDER fan Fic and was curious if you might want to look over it. I added a backstory to the character and why they're there and everything. Or if anyone for that matter wants to give it a read, please feel free to say so in the comments, but I just want Agent Parsec, the creator to approve of it most of all as the game is his baby =) Sincerely,
    Ninetailorochi

29. HolBol

HolBol

This picture appeared on the Disney Channel recently. Your game is everywhere, dude :L!

30. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

You do understand the SlenderMan character isn't the OPs creation?

31. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Just wanna say that this game is awesome. I had some friends join a skype call and they listened to me play it. I freaked shi(f)t. I love that this is a Unity game and I love that this game is everywhere.

Good luck with everything,
    Bennet

32. nipoco

nipoco

What a clever guy you are...

You do understand that was just a joke? We are all aware that Slenderman is not Parsec's creation.

33. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

A joke...? Maybe he should have a used a more regular emoticon then... clever guy.

34. nipoco

nipoco

Maybe you should look closer before trying to be a smartass.

35. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Closer to what, the emoticon? It's not standard and there are various meanings for it. For joking there are more standard ones, than the one people ALSO link with "not sure", "meh" or "sad". Anyway you can have the last word if you want, you have my persmission.

36. Otis

Otis

37. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yep, it certainly was not. After all, Notch named in Endermen in Minecraft after it.

I saw that as well. Neat how quick that stuff goes around.

38. jadacus

jadacus

Can u send me the script used for slenderman? please i need it for a version of my own

39. SevenBits

SevenBits

I doubt he'll release code, but if he does, you might want to be more specific regarding which portions of code you are looking for.

40. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

:O They must be dead, rightt?

41. SevenBits

SevenBits

That's too funny! They've even got a lantern (you know, like the flashlight in the game). Success!

42. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

You're kidding me.... right?

43. HolBol

HolBol

If you honestly think he'll give you that, even for a large sum, you should think again. Make something original: stop copying people. That's what indie devs are for.

44. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Hi AgentParsec (and anyone else). I recreated Slender in a different game engine and changed the environment to be an indoors abandoned sanatorium. It's very similar to Slender, I wanted to stay true to the game. AgentParsec it would mean a lot if you played it and let me know what you think of it :) I followed your development posts to see how you accomplished the AI and such and recreated it the best I could, it's a tribute to you and your game. Hope you enjoy it.

http://darkpathogenstudios.pure24design.com/

45. Christiaan

Christiaan

that whas actually pretty good, especially considering that this is done in fps creator.

46. xniinja

xniinja

Avast went crazy when I clicked on your link. I'm sure it's probably nothing but I will just be safe and not play it.

47. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

congrats on going viral!

$video-game-memes-i-need-a-couple-night-lights-tonight.jpg $internet-memes-if-you-turn-around-in-slender-youre-gonna-have-a-bad-time.jpg $tumblr_m7bw8nKdAr1rsukbqo1_500.jpg

Yay! Free publicity!

48. babooo11

babooo11

it seems he solved the problem, on his website is now displayed : "NOTE: AVAST GIVES A FALSE POSITIVE DUE TO THE WEBSITE COUNTER" ^^
    anyway, i tested it and it's very good :D

49. SevenBits

SevenBits

A suggestion for you: you should add online multiplayer and voice chat. Then everyone can journey around the forest and get the s*** scared out of them together. You see Slender and die, you're out!

Congrats on going viral.

50. aixaix

aixaix

And also you should add a update log on the thread :)
    Anyways, Gratz on going viral!