Search Unity

Slender -- Beta 0.9

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AgentParsec, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Mataxia

Mataxia

Hey AgentParsec, I just sent you a PM regarding Slender's score.

2. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Did you model the slender man? Anyways, I've een watching X-Files a lot lately, and judging from the appearance of the Rebels, it's basically pretty much the same... If you want to copyright it, maybe you can change the face of slender man, and actually, I think you can copyright him right now, as Slender man has tentacles, and SM in Slender doesn't... Anyways, good job, it's really scary S*** BTW, and I would personally like if the game map is flat, hills and stuff like that just seem to get the difficulty to the next level, cuz it's hard to escape SM at 7 and 6 pages... BTW, do you use a model for the main character (the one you're controlling, or is it just a basic First person controller?

3. wmgcata

wmgcata

Sorry to say mate, but Slenderman does have tentacles in this game. Are you sure you ever got caught by him before? Because when you get caught, tentacles pop up. And how can you change Slenderman's face when he has none? ;-)

4. jamieo01

jamieo01

Another thing is that there are two versions of Slenderman, one with tentacles and one without, an example of this is the marble hornets version of Slenderman.

5. john-essy

john-essy

Hi Parsec i have added you and cant wait to talk with you :)

6. Duskling

Duskling

Parsec, if you are still interested, I have you added in skype and I am am on usually all day every day. Just send me a message whenever :)

7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

8. LyNm0d

LyNm0d

Hey Parsec, I love Slender. It is a great game. Simple, but superb. One thing I noticed is when I was inside the bathroom building SM couldn't get me. I sat in there (with 3 pages) for 20 minutes. He never came and got me, I survived for another 5 minutes once I went outside, but I wondered if that was a glitch or not.

Anyway, one suggestion I had was that when you collect all 8 pages, maybe instead of "dying" and waking up, the doors to that thing next to the car could open and you could hide in there. (ie. a safe place until morning). Just a thought.

LyN

9. wmgcata

wmgcata

That's not a glitch. Basically you could hide inside the bathroom while standing in a corner and looking at the door whole day. Slenderman doesn't teleported when you look at him. By the way, it would look pretty retarted when you just see him teleporting infront of your face.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  10. Chris Raleigh

Chris Raleigh

That does not work anymore. Slender Man's aggression level rises if the player takes too long to collect pages in the newer versions. Once the level reaches 6, Slender Man can freely teleport into or out from the player's sight.

Slender Man was able to do this in earlier versions, but in those cases, the aggression level would only rise when the pages were collected, so as long as the player did not collect six pages, the player would be able to safely stay in a corner indefinitely.

11. nipoco

nipoco

Interesting how many non-developers registered here just for this game.

12. pivotraze

pivotraze

The one without tentacles technically isn't Slenderman. Also, the one in Marble Hornets definitely is not Slenderman. The one in Marble Hornets (and they started non-tentacle "Slenderman") is called The Operator.

13. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

It's still technically a Slender Man though. I consider it a general palette by which more specific characters are derived.

By the way, sorry about my lack of posting for a few days. My wife and I had our anniversary on Sunday, so that kept me occupied.

14. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Okay, with help from some people on the shaders board, I've fixed the problem with the leaves lighting up strangely. I've also modified the fog so that it starts out a lot thinner, but gets thicker as each page is collected. Seems to increase the creepiness factor.

15. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

@AgentParsec
    Just letting you know that Slender has gone viral at my brothers high school.
    Keep it up!

16. Blacklight

Blacklight

I saw some kids from my school playing Slender during programming class. I wished that happened to my games. Good job!

17. Doxie Dame

Doxie Dame

Just downloaded the game. A bit too chicken to play it just yet, but maybe in the morning.

Is there any information that I can give you from gameplay issues, thoughts, etc that would be most useful for the continuing development at this stage?

18. Silent_Scope

Silent_Scope

I finally beat it 3 times!!! :) I would like to say that I enjoy all the modes. However I think modes 2 3 should be able to be combined at the same time like in 0.9.4

19. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

All the hipe and I didn't realize it was a Unity game. Makes me proud to be a Unity Dev (<--- If you could call me that :))

20. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

For the people who are helping the project, could you please send me your Skype names? I didn't see the invites from everyone.

21. john-essy

john-essy

Hi there mate i have sent mine through PM.

22. WhiteToTheLaw

WhiteToTheLaw

So I saw a video of someone playing, and it looked different than mine did. I realized there was an updated version, so I went ahead and downloaded it. In the controls I realized there is one that says Map, and it says it is tab. I tried it but it doesn't work. Is it something for a future update? I hope to see more coming from the game. The game seems to be way harder now. I lost on one page, when before I would lose on 5 or 6.

23. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I was going to put a map feature in the last version, but as I was working on it I couldn't get it to come out right, so I gave up on it. I accidentally left the key assigned in the game's input though.

For the record, I haven't updated SM's movement in a few versions. He doesn't do the close-range chase at 1 page, so the only way you can lose at 1 page is if you stare at him for too long, or you walk right into him.

24. wmgcata

wmgcata

I've got a map script for my own game, it's pretty easy to do. Could help you out sometimes if you want. Just leave me a message.

25. Billybob217

Billybob217

Hey Parsec, I just wanted to say I am loving this game! :D

It’s so enjoyable to play and I hope this gets really popular (already is). I had some ideas if you wanted to hear them, maybe as an extra unlockable mode you should put in a mode where the slender man is a really creepy clown that laughs with a really creepy demonic clown laughter when you see him (the further away he is the more quiet the laughter is) and when you see him close up you could have the sudden dramatic tone plus the sound similar to the sound a Jack in the box would make.

Also if you wanted you could try to put in something that makes you spawn in a random location on the map, that way you feel more lost even if you have played the game before and once you realise where you are you will have to go and find all the notes in a different order then you usually would due to where you spawned (This could completely ruin some peoples tactics which would mix up the gameplay a bit :D)

And lastly I had a possible ending idea where you collect all the notes and Slenderman catches you as normal, but instead of waking up at daylight you should wake up in a really disturbingly spooky place where Slenderman takes his victims, you could hear screaming of children and see blood and maybe some bodies? I think that would be completely S*** scary and quite horrific (maybe if you can add a disturbing content toggle if it is too bad) Sorry about the long post i just really love this game and i want to do my best to give you ideas to make it even more awesome! :D Keep up the good work man! :D

26. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Do you mean to add some kind of map builder support?

27. Billybob217

Billybob217

What is map builder im sorry i have no idea how you guys make these games so i dont know alot :p i just wanted to give Parsec some ideas if he is interested :D

28. SevenBits

SevenBits

Just wanted to say that you did a fantabulous job on this game. Many great words to your future success!

29. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Are you sure you should be here? Just wan't to keep the Unity forum full of developers not gamers. I have no problem with giving him ideas, but consider where you are...

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

For a second, I thought you were talking to me.

@BillyBob217: While we appreciate your commitment to gaming and support of independent game developers, we must ask that you discuss games in a separate forum. If you wish to ask how we do something, contact a developer on Skype, IRC, etc.

31. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

No I wouldn't dare say that to you Sevenbits :), I think we've even had friendly conversations(ish) on other threads, and thanks for summing up what I had to say in a seemingly nicer and more professional way.

32. Billybob217

Billybob217

Im sorry for wanting to share my ideas with Parsec in a place I know he can see them. Do you really think i am the only gamer thats not a developer here?

33. SevenBits

SevenBits

I know you want him to read your ideas, but this is not the place. Imagine if you had to discuss with colleagues ideas for an important project, but everyone else used that time to discuss last Saturday's killer party. You would probably wish that they would do it someplace else, right? That's how some of us feel.

I'm sure the developer has an email address or other mode of communication where you can reach him directly, without clogging up these threads. While most of us do game, the vast majority of us use the Unity engine to design games of our own, hence the purpose of these threads.

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

What the hell are you guys on about? WIP is about showing and getting feedback on your work; I'd much prefer feedback from a gamer who is passionate about my project than a "developer" who downloaded Unity and copy and pasted a few scripts.

To be clear, I'm not implying that you fall in to this category, but it only takes a quick glance through the scripting forum to see that many (most?) do.

35. SevenBits

SevenBits

I am simply saying that it is far more appropriate for a gamer to message the game's author directly than to join a forum just to contact him. I mean, most people nowadays have emails, and most have them connected to webpages.

36. Billybob217

Billybob217

Thankyou someone agrees with me :D But i understand what you guys are saying and i am sorry if i have caused you trouble all i wanted to do was show some ideas and maybe there not just for him maybe others on this thread might read them and agree with me and make them for him or it could give others ideas about his game? But anyway im sorry i have caused you all trouble :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  37. facemelter

facemelter

I don't know if this has been brought to your attention agentparsec, but there is a problem with the Mac versions of Slender. A lot of people are experiencing consistent crashes whenever the .app is clicked. From what I can tell, it may be because when an application or executable is compressed on a windows system for Mac, the executable file can be corrupted once shared. The slender.app files are either being read as text files or some format that renders them useless. Exploring the package contents does not help. There is no other executable file, and from what I can find, there isn't any problem with the permissions. I've read in a Unity forum that is often happens with games (for pc and mac) developed in Unity in windows.

If you could look into this, I and many other people would greatly appreciate it. I'm dying to play this game. It looks awesome.

38. wmgcata

wmgcata

I've played this so much that this isn't even scary anymore to be honest. I know what's coming, who's coming, when+-. I just want those god damn 8 pages which is god damn impossible! I always get caught at 6.It's pissing me off! ;-)

On topic : Lovely game!

39. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

I have an idea, well, it more of just me expecting to be in the game anyway... So, have you though bout adding like a compass that points to the nearest page? Because, you have to play the game a few times to remember where the pages are. BTW, I have not been looking at SM so much, does he have animations?

40. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

So in other words you want the game to be easy

41. ludiares

ludiares

Slender doesn't have animations, because, basically, when you look at him, he does not move at all

42. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

So this next update I'm working on has a lot of little fixes:

1. The leaves render correctly with the flashlight.
    2. Finally believe I've fixed a bug where SM was teleporting partially inside solid objects.
    3. Making the fog start out really thin (almost unnoticeable), then get thicker as more pages are collected.
    4. Added more stuff in the Options menu. Mouse sensitivity is adjustable, and I'm going to enable a few more things to adjust graphical settings.
    5. Previously, when determining where SM can teleport/jump, it ignores areas that the player is facing so that he won't pop in front of the player (with some exceptions). I've added a test to see if a potential target location location is actually visible to the player instead of whether or not the player is just facing it. This means he can potentially teleport in front of the player now (but behind objects, like behind a tree for example), and should mean that he will be found behind the player a little less. (In practice, he still ends up behind the player a lot because of all the forward motion).
    6. There's now a 1-second cooldown after a jog/sprint during which you will not recover stamina. This prevents people from hitting the key repeatedly to 'jog forever'. The camera also swings up after a sprint slightly slower than it did before.
    7. Slowed down SM slightly to compensate for the above two changes.

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and release v0.9.6 as it is now, or wait until I have more things updated.

43. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I decided to go ahead and release what I have, since there are a lot of bug fixes involved. My website (linked in the first post) now links to an AtomicGamer mirror, which should be easier to download from.

44. Blacklight

Blacklight

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  45. tigerija

tigerija

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't see how its ever possible for the OP to copyright a damn thing since he didn't invent it. Best you'll get from this IP is copyrighting a game released called Slenderman as one word. Everyone else is perfectly able to make variations of this with a creepy guy in a suit.

Slender Man was first published on something awful, so if anyone has a copyright it'll be the dudes who posted the image first, but even this was based on other references.

So its part of popular culture, I doubt copyrighting will get you far except for the unique content your version contains, and all that is based on prior art too.

In short you can copyright what you've made but you haven't got much hope of stopping others.

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yep, and also copyright is actually an automatic thing(well, at least in Australia) its not like you summon a magical dragon or something and ask it to guard your idea.

I would think not, there was a game before this actualy called "Slenderman" i think that has tabs first? that being:

48. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well I hope you can finish this and sell it before the people make money off your idea.

49. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's passed into public doman through free use with no objections.