Search Unity

Sleek Render - Lightning Fast Mobile Post Processing Effects

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kumo-Kairo, Oct 28, 2017.

1. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

LOTR:WITN was a PS360 game, so it's running on a 2005 console. Best example of god rays here:

Of course, those consoles had an abundance of bandwidth and fillrate versus mobile.

To incorporate into Sleek render, you'd need to find an efficient way to create a radial blur. If possible, that could then be used in various effects. Just filter scene based on brightness, radial blue about a point, and blend back. Where Gaussian blurs are well accelerated, I don't know of any radial blur solution. My game uses repeated scaling to create volumetric shadows.

2. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

@SoftwareGeezers I remember reading an article on original Infinity Blade rendering, they have used a similar technique for their god rays using a directional blur. There's really little difference between different blur techniques save for texture cache utilization (I see quite a lot of Gaussian Blur implementations that are not cache-effective though). The only two problems would be the pass count + resolution dependent blur - rememeber the old legacy Unity Blur effect which didn't blur quite as much when was used on high-res screens. Infinity Blade guys had just a few target devices which allowed to hard-tweak the pass count and blur offsets, which simplified the problem a bit. Can't find the article anymore, but I will post it here if I'll find it.

As for XBOX360 / PS3 bandwidth - you are right, those consoles used quite a lot of power (around 100W according to NVIDIA reports) as well as the fact that GPUs there are Immediate Mode rather than Tiled (on mobiles) which allows for a lot more separate passes with very little additional overhead.

You can even look further back at PS2 / XBOX with games like DOUBLE S.T.E.A.L which used famous Kawase blur for Bloom and Light Streaks and it worked by utilizing multi-pass blur even back then (and it was 2004-2005). By multi-pass I mean 5-7-9 or more slightly downscaled passes which it's still quite expensive for a lot of Android devices.

upload_2019-3-14_15-11-42.png upload_2019-3-14_15-14-37.png

But yeah, it depends on a project and sometimes can be implemented relatively effectively. But this particular case of god rays requires at least some degree of artistic tweaking of additional parameters and, in my experience, creates a lot of confusion for most users (it may be non-intuitive, but the majority of users don't want to tweak or change anything, especially if some changes are required for the package to work correctly).

I would better focus my still limited time to more general things and overall education on graphics programming.

SoftwareGeezers likes this.
  3. shirish_Jain

shirish_Jain

Hey!
    The work you have done is quite amazing.I have a question that is it possible for you to provide the "blur" effect ? Right now only Bloom, Colorize,Vignette and Brightness/Contrast are there. Or is there any way to use blur effect by tweaking some parameters?

Thanks,

4. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

Hi @shirish_Jain
    What do you mean by "blur" effect? Would you post a reference screenshot here?

5. pensionerov

pensionerov

Hi!

I have a performance issue with two cameras setup. I have the main camera with Sleek Render Post Process on it. Previously I used Screen Space - Overlay for UI and everything worked flawlessly with almost nonexistent performance effect. But now I need to use a second camera for my UI and it crushes the performance. From stable 60 FPS it drops to about 45 even without any effects enabled in the settings file.

What can I do to fix it?

6. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

@pensionerov What you mean by "worked flawlessly" is that the frame budget was below 16.6 ms, even if it was around 15-16ms. Adding just one heavy ~5 ms operation like two-camera setup which is quite heavy on mobiles due to full-frame resolve (which becomes even worse on hi-DPI screens), you suddenly go out of those 16.6 ms for a frame, going below 60 FPS. So it's not just some one thing that "breaks" everything, it's all gradually piling up together increasing overall frame time. Two Cameras doesn't even sound like it's something heavy, but for Android mobiles it usually is.

The only easy way to fix it is to go back to one camera setup to get the needed ~5 ms back. It's worth spending time on making your UI look good and work OK with that one-camera setup, it's really the fastest solution you can get.
    Also, while supporting the package, I noticed that often the 3D scene rendering itself is quite heavy (using standard shaders is a good way to blow the frame budget), so optimizing 3D scene materials and shaders is also a thing to consider.

7. pensionerov

pensionerov

Thank you for your answer, but it seems to be some one thing. I tested two cases.
    1) Two cameras setup with Sleek Render Post Process disabled on heavy load with lots of particles and enemies on screen. Result: stable 60 fps.
    2) Two cameras with Sleek Render Post Process enabled on main camera, but without any effects active in Sleek Render Settings and the same scene without enemies and some other stuff disabled (so the load from everything on scene was <= then in case 1). Result: 45-50 fps.

So it seems to me, that just the fact of having Sleek Render Post Process enabled in two cameras setup without actual effects is a heavy thing. Is it an expected behaviour?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  8. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

@pensionerov Sleek Render without any effects has a few seemingly empty passes that still do some work. It's considered the base overhead of the package and it takes some frame budget. That base overhead is mitigated when effects themselves are starting to enable. It's needed to avoid resource creation hiccups and enabling / disabling / fading effects difference in overall cost of the effects stack, which allows for smoother framerates with fewer possible hiccups.

This base overhead, when combined with your two camera passes, takes your framerate down to 45-50 fps.

What you need to understand that 60 fps doesn't mean "it runs without problems", it just happens to run under 16.6 ms, whether it's 1 ms or 16.5 ms for a frame.

Let's discuss this for a moment.

Say your scene with one camera and without any effects takes 8 ms. Adding Sleek Render increases overall budget by, say, 5 ms, which is makes it 13 ms in total. Thus your scene is rendered at 60 fps regardless of whether Sleek Render is enabled or not because total cost is less than 16.6. Mobile builds in Unity just can't update faster than that, and this is why you can see that stable 60 fps cap.

Now, take that same one-camera scene again, 8 ms without any effects. Adding a second camera to it will increase overall budget by, say, same 5 ms, which makes it 13 ms in total again. It's still less than 16.6 and it runs at 60 fps.

Adding Sleek Render to your two camera setup will increase frame time by another 5 ms (as well as adding a second camera to a Sleek Render scene) which will make it 18 ms in total, which is now more than 16.6. It looks like something has suddenly "broken", while in reality you have just spent your 16.6 budget and FPS became lower than 60. (18 ms is 55 FPS).

50 FPS is actually 20 ms of frame budget, but you get the idea. We could have started with 10 ms base time for your scene + 5 ms for Sleek Render or a second camera. Adding just one more thing that takes more than 1.6 ms will blow the frame budget.

One instance of Sleek Render has the same budget regardless of number of cameras used in the scene. If you add more cameras to your scene, you'll see more dropping of framerate proportional to the number of cameras. Number of cameras and Sleek Render performance do not correlate in any way.

9. pensionerov

pensionerov

Well, thank you for the detailed explanation. Never thought, that rendering UI with a camera instead of overlay would cost me as much as the whole post-processing.

10. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

Keep in mind that it's not really the rendering itself, it's the intermediate processes of switching render targets / copying current target contents to main memory (resolves) which break tiled mobile GPU optimizations.
    Here's an amazing talk on Adreno GPU architecture and optimizations (it's mostly the same with PowerVR / Mali)

It's mobile VR oriented (GLES 3.0), but it has some good insights on what's happening on the GPU other than the rendering itself

Adam-Bailey likes this.
  11. pensionerov

pensionerov

Thank you very much! I'll take a look.

12. shirish_Jain

shirish_Jain

Hi,
    Blur effect basically is when you move very fast (let's say you have pressed a nitro button during car racing) then surrounding objects should start appearing blurry.This effect is supported on Post-Processing stack with the name "Motion Blur". Here I am attaching the screenshot of the same.

Attached Files:

13. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

@shirish_Jain Oh, I see, so you mean motion blur then. It's not possible to achieve with Sleek Render right now and most likely it won't be supported in nearest future because effective implementation requires fake (extremely lowpoly) geometry on your scene in place of real objects to simplify motion vectors calculation. So it's not a drag-and-drop solution (it adds one essential part to your asset pipeline that has to be worked on constantly).
    In my experience, anything other than drag-and-drop generates a lot of negative feedback for the package and increases overall support pressure.

14. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

I have released a housekeeping micro-update with a bumped minimum required Unity version (2017.1.0f3) and moved package assets from the Plugins folder (often people just moved it outside anyway and new files from updates ended up in a different .NET assembly, breaking the compilation).

It's a totally housekeeping update intended for new people for easier future updates, existing users can completely ignore it.

New updates are coming soon.

Klausology, SugoiDev and Adam-Bailey like this.
  15. shirish_Jain

shirish_Jain

Hi,
    Thanks for replying.Just a small request, do you know any good asset on asset store which can help me resolving this problem?

Thanks,

16. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

Hello! I've bought the Sleek Render asset and am really enjoying its great performance! However, I'm looking to squeeze a little more juice out so that my game can run at 60 fps on low-end devices (it was barely hitting 60 before adding Sleek, which costs 10-15 fps on my Fire HD 8). I want to render the main scene at a lower resolution in order to keep the fps as high as possible. I got it working, but I want to make sure this is the recommended route. I basically just took this link from the first page and copied its method into Sleek Render. However, Sleek Render is doing a lot of its own thing, so I don't know if this is advisable:

Code (CSharp):
    1. //SleekRenderPostProcess.cs
    3.         private RenderTexture tempRT;
    5.         private void OnPreRender() {
    6.             // Exaggerated to make sure it's working. TODO: Make this dynamic based on framerate :)
    7.             tempRT = RenderTexture.GetTemporary(Screen.currentResolution.width / 10, Screen.currentResolution.height / 10, 16);
    8.             Camera.main.targetTexture = tempRT;
    9.         }
    11.         // This used to be OnRenderImage
    12.         private void OnPostRender()
    13.         {
    14.             ...
    15.             // Applying post processing steps
    16.             ApplyPostProcess(tempRT);
    17.             // Last step as separate pass. null -> back buffer
    18.             Camera.main.targetTexture = null;
    19.             Compose(tempRT, null);
    20.             RenderTexture.ReleaseTemporary(tempRT);
    21.         }
    Just want to make sure I'm on the right track, and help anyone else using this package looking to do this.

Next step is to figure out how to implement my own "displacement" effects in the stack.

Also - small point of advice: the asset store pictures should be updated. The bloom there looks awful compared to what is now implemented. I actually looked at Sleek a few months ago and passed because the effect didn't look good. I'm sure you're losing sales over it

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  17. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

Ah, I spoke too quickly. While the downscale is happening, the bloom has been lost. I'll post back if I can figure out a way to achieve both

18. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

Hi @Frenchie92, thanks for supporting Sleek Render.
    Also thanks for looking at this issue and trying to implement it yourself first to get a broader picture before looking for help. It really saves a lot of time (both yours and mine).

As for the question itself - you're on a right track trying to downscale your main 3D scene to squeeze some performance from your game.

However!

Let's go step by step here.

First - Fire HD 8 seems like a pretty powerful device to me (PowerVR G6200 GPU) on a not-really-dense screen - 800 x 1280 pixels on 8 inches. It's just around 190 ppi of density. Lowering main resolution will probably start looking a bit pixelated pretty soon. It's not some 5 inch phone with 1520 pixels screen. This downscaling technique is generally advised for lower end devices with high pixel density.
    I have explained why sometimes adding Sleek makes games run below 60 fps on devices here.
    I see a lot of games which are made from sub-optimal shaders for 3D geometry, which sometimes can lead to not-very-best performance of the main render scene in the first place (while still being in that 16 ms budget). It's not to say that Sleek Render is free in terms of performance (it's not), it's just that almost always there are ways to optimize 3D shaders to squeeze some GPU clock cycles without using downscaling technique.

Second - this downscaling technique can sometimes lead to worse performance than rendering everything without it. This happens because rendering something to an intermediate texture on mobile GPUs is an inherently slow process (not the rendering itself, but the memory resolve after it). Sometimes GPU clock cycles saved by rendering to a downscaled target are not enought to compensate for the time required for that memory resolve after rendering. It really requires careful calculations and experiments. Moreover, this technique is more tricky to implement in Unity than in "raw" form of using OpenGL / Metal / Vulkan pipelines directly because Unity is trying to be too helpful sometimes (this is exactly why they have implemented scriptable rendering pipeline - to make Unity less helpful).

Third - at first glance on your custom Sleek Render code it seems that the last Compose step is still done in full rez (Compose is currently the heaviest of all the Sleek Render passes) and it should really be applied to a downscaled texture of the scene too, or you won't get full boost of performance.

Fourth - this downscaling feature is a pretty commonly requested thing in Sleek Render and it's currently in development internally. Unfortunately, I'm busy as hell on my day job (working 7 days a week for past few months) and can't find tangible amount of uninterrupted time to get the functionality to a customer-ready grade of quality and stability. It will be there eventually, it's just a bit more tricky to get everything right (last time I checked, for example, that GetTempRT function generated a few bytes of garbage every frame in certain Unity versions, and rendering a scene without a camera that doesn't have a target render texture, even if it doesn't render anything, leads to a black screen). The functionality will be there eventually - it's the first thing I will release in the next update (when it will be implemented). Can't tell any exact ETA unfortunately.

Fifth - yes, you are quite right about the store content. I have a bunch of assets lying around but just can't get to updating the store listing. I will do it right after releasing the next functional update.

In the meantime, I can help you by looking at your Android build with or without Sleek Render added to see if any shaders for 3D geometry can be easily optimized. It usually takes around 30 minutes and it provides a lot of insights on internals of your rendering pipeline and shaders. Please contact me through my support e-mail, or using direct messages here on forum for further assistance.

19. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

Thanks for the reply @Kumo-Kairo!

1. It's an older generation Fire HD 8 with an ARM Mali-T720 MP2, but point taken. Almost everything rendered in my game is via a custom shader. I'm barely hitting 60 fps without Sleek on that device so my budget is effectively 0 ms. I wanted to see if the game looked better at lower res with Sleek or higher res without it and pick from there. The models are voxel-inspired, so I can get away with a lower res.

2. Understood. I observed this penalty when rendering to an intermediate rendertexture set to full resolution. I had to cut the resolution down pretty dramatically to get back to 60 fps, but I wasn't sure if I was doing the downscaling properly.

3. The tempRT being passed to Sleek was allocated above at a lower resolution (in this test, 10% just to make sure it was working. Ideally I'd render around 75%)

4. Yeah... I've had a lot of issues with RenderTextures as well. It's part of what led me to buying your asset :)

Thanks for the offer to help look at my build directly! I'll message you outside of this forum.

20. NishitaG

NishitaG

I don't know where to get it from. It's not available in the Asset Store

21. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Oh my, that's true! :(

I am currently using it in my cultural heritage-related app - hopefully it's just temporary (maybe a major update?), the asset is great and is exceptionally fast :(

22. prometeoproduction

prometeoproduction

Why has been deprecated?

23. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

Hi everyone!
    As you have already noticed, I have decided to deprecate the package.
    I understand that I have totally blown any faith in myself as a publisher (each of my assets have been deprecated in the end), so I will refrain from making and publishing any Assetstore packages from now on.
    Existing Sleek Render customers can receive any needed support through my email - support@nadezhdin.org

Below is a detailed post-mortem on this situation.
    ==========================================
    Exactly two years ago I have left my day job (as a Unity game developer) and focused on ways of getting some passive income. As I have published Assetstore packages previously, I know that it's a thing, and it's generally easier than making, marketing and publishing games (sorry fellow game developers). I started looking at different options and ideas of the new package.
    I have noticed a total lack of truly mobile friendly post processing. And I knew for sure that it's doable because I have seen a talk by a graphics programming prodigy (with whom I have talked later) and their team managed to achieve top-notch graphics quality with very little overhead (and it was all done in Unity). I was inspired both from the idea that there's a completely empty niche on the assetstore and that it's totally doable.
    As Unity is primarily a mobile engine, especially for 3D games, it looked like this package would totally blow the market. And it was my first mistake - I have bet too much on this thing being super successful.
    I have left my day job in July, and the first release of Sleek Render was in November. That's 4 months on savings for a family of two (and I've had my firstborn delivered in October, so technically there were a family of three by the time Sleek Render was released). I was working fulltime on Sleek Render and was sure that it will at least provide the cost of living for us.
    The release was interesting, but it was not a blast I eagerly expected. I wanted it to go more viral from the start (again, I was expecting too much from this package).
    It got me $59 in first month (it was selling for 10 days at a lowest price)
    I was working full time on it for the next months, and got $300 and $308 for the December and January (not quite much, but it was at least partially covering our expences). It sold for whooping (compared to the first months of release) $714 in February, and it was partially because of the slightly raised price for it (at that time it was $17 already). I was expecting it to grow in the following months, but it was quite consistently selling for $450-$550 a month (sometimes dropping below $400).
    It was clear for me that this package just won't work as a main source of income and I have started doing some "freelancy" work on the side, still managing to spend most of my time on Sleek Render.
    By the March 2018 it was already 10 months on savings, and receiving $500 a months didn't really cover all of the living expenses (it was partially covered, but savings were slowly depleting).
    This was the time I have stopped working on Sleek Render full time and started looking for a day job.
    I got one and it was paying enough to even start making some savings again. But in return, Sleek Render didn't get as much attention as it was getting before.
    At some point the work was so intense and time consuming that I spent the whole month not even opening a Sleek Render project because I was physically unable to do so. I was really hoping that this "crunch" time would pass and I will be able to return to Sleek Render to make promised additions, but it never happened.

But really, this is not the main reason I have decided to deprecate the package. Even if it's not updated, it still can be sold, right? Some people may still use its features as it's pretty stable. This is the good thing about passive income - it just keeps "ticking" even if you're doing something else (in my case - working on a day job).

But keeping it alive on the store has one drawback - customer support. I've done a great deal of customer support in the past and I truly believe that the package is at least somewhat intuitive to use without looking at the manual. It's not perfect, but it's quite usable. But usability is not what the customer support was usually about with Sleek Render. It was about performance.
    To understand this problem further, you need to understand the average Assetstore user (90% of users who have dropped me an email). And it's the same as the main Unity's target audience - non-professionals that want to develop games. Non-professionals can't really tell tech things apart - which one would be good and fast, which one would be bad and slow. And this is where the main problems come from.
    What an average user would do with the Sleek Render package:
    1. Make a scene with standard PBR materials, even if it's just one solid color (especially when exporting from Blender - you see a different mesh and a different material for each separate color of the object. One simple objects explodes into hundreds of meshes and materials). Maybe put some third-party good looking water with realtime reflections.
    2. Add Sleek Render to the scene
    3. Add some other post effect package on top of Sleek Render because the latter doesn't have some functionality
    4. See that performance is not good
    5. Write to support

This is an exaggerated scenario, but even using PBR materials with 3D scenes on mobile (the ones that are there by default) can already bring performance down to a frame budget edge (it can be just a bit less than 16.6 ms so it looks like it's running steady at 60 fps). I have written on this problem earlier.
    And this process doesn't even end on "an average user". I've seen absolutely amazing, professionally looking projects suffering from this problem.

This is where Unity falls short - it has sub-optimal defaults, that are easy to use (and also to develop and support - it's easier to have one generic uber-shader that runs on mobile, on desktop, on consoles than having specific shaders for each platform even if it makes total sense from the performance point of view).
    Unity has pretty optimized mobile shaders, which are included by default, but it takes time and experience to get to them. This is not what an average user does.

The audience of "average users", that are most numerous on the assetstore, that generate the most revenue, don't really need Sleek Render - it just doesn't make a difference - the game would be slow on mobile anyway. And professional devs with a separate graphics rendering department can make these things themselves (I've seen a few cases where Sleek Render was heavily modified and sometimes completely customized and rewritten).

As this customer support pressure not really getting lower (with the same exact questions all the time) while sales are going down (mostly because I haven't updated the package in a while), I have decided to deprecate the package to reduce my customer support fatigue.

In general - I have understood that people need more education in this field. This is really the only way to make a difference in the industry.

For those wondering where to get Sleek Render:
    1. If you've bought it - you can always download the latest version from the AssetStore menu in Unity. It's the default functionality - you will always have access to all of the downloaded packages even if they were deprecated.
    2. I'm considering putting it on Github under MIT license to help a few interested graphics programmers. It won't happen until January 2020 though as it will undermine the monetary effort of people who have bought it recently.

In general, it was nice experience. I'm terribly sorry if anyone was relying on some of the functionality that was planned for future updates. Again, I'm still available by that support e-mail if anyone has any questions regarding this situation.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  24. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Thank you the the openness and best of luck with your family.

dyupa and Kumo-Kairo like this.
  25. Frenchie92

Frenchie92

Thanks for making the asset! As someone who bought it recently, I wouldn't be miffed if it appeared on GitHub today. The longer it's on there, the higher the chance that someone else forks it and adds something interesting!

I wonder if maybe you could reduce the support burden by raising the price (literally, double it to $40)? You might sell to fewer customers but keep the total income the same. You could also consider selling the support at a freelance rate instead of giving it for free with the asset purchase. I'd gladly pay to have a graphics pro look over my shoddy shader work and point out the performance bottlenecks, but I might be in the minority.

Best of luck with your future projects!

dyupa, chelnok and Meceka like this.
  26. vizgl

vizgl

Very bad news :(

27. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Крепись

28. NunoDinisSantos

NunoDinisSantos

Oh man!! I had it on favourites and was about to buy it and then I noticed it wasn't there anymore.

I wish you all the good luck!

29. adslitw

adslitw

Fair play dude, totally understood. Have fun with the little one!

30. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

As someone who beta tested this asset (and had purchased some of your other assets) I'm sad to see this one go, but you have to do what's best for you. Hopefully you can get out of the crunchy period and get to work on some fun things again.

dyupa, Nsingh13 and Meceka like this.
  31. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

robot-ink, ksam2, TylerCode_ and 8 others like this.
  32. StanleyBishopBlack

StanleyBishopBlack

I googled it up today. I must say, the bloom FPS cost of 1 is outstanding. For comparison, unity post processing stack bloom costed me 30 FPS in same scene. While the quality is surely lower, it works really fast. It's great!

33. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'm still mourning Sleek Render. :/

It still pops in my mind whenever I need some good postprocessing for mobile.

Especially now that an equivalent asset is needed to work in URP :/

34. MP-ul

MP-ul

There is one already man. but is not Sleek, look for this https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/39057

35. Vegito2367

Vegito2367

Is this still an active project?

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

37. Fangh

Fangh

Does anyone knows if it works for VR ?
    If not, does anyone know a VR fast bloom effect ?

38. Kumo-Kairo

Kumo-Kairo

It does not work for VR out of the box. However, I have seen some people on Reddit using it to add it to their VR games after some tweaks.

Also, depending on your target VR platform (desktop vs standalone headsets like Oculus Quest), it's generally not advised to use any form of full-screen post processing. Bloom can be effectively authored at a different level - by using hand-made art consisting of semi-transparent meshes and additive/blend materials.
    This is especially true for Bloom, which requires active downsampling of your rendered scene, which makes bloom prone to flickering, and in case of VR it will have different flickering for different eyes.

I suggest you watch this talk about porting apps to mobile VR, it has a lot of good insights, not just for Oculus Quest 2

MP-ul likes this.