Search Unity

"Slaughter House" 3D Character Model. Feedback please.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Zen-Davis, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Modeled and textured by the amazing Adam Sacco:

Here is the first of the five characters from our "Slaughter House" game. The project is aimed at the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPad 2, and iPad 3 platforms.

We're really happy about how things are coming along although there is definite debate about hiring the same texture artist to do texture work for this character and the rest of the world in order to keep things consistent. As stated in the image, the character features 2048 x 2048 normal, diffuse, and specular maps.

There is some concern about how such a high poly model will function on the iPhone but I'm not too worried about it. The majority of the time, the game will only have two characters on screen anyway. We've ran tests with 5k cubes with 2048 x 2048 normal, diffuse, and specular maps on the iPhone 4s and it handled roughly 50 such cubes before the FPS dropped below 30. Considering that there will only be five characters at maximum on the screen at once, it seems reasonable to believe that the 4s will be able to handle it.

We're thinking about running a Kickstarter soon in order to get enough cash to purchase a Unity Pro license.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

That character looks great. I would seriously cut back on the polygons though. On the iPhone, characters of that detail just aren't needed and you would be limiting your customer base to the high end phones for no real reason.

Kickstarter can be a great place to get some funds. Make sure to have plenty of art ready, lots of ways to spread the word, and a clear direction for your game. People need to understand that your serious and the best way to do that is to start working.

3. Wolfos

Wolfos

4. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Criticizing his tri count without knowing anything about his game is absolutely pointless. 5k tris is perfectly fine depending on what else is going on in the scene, even on iOS. Characters in Infinity Blade are twice that.

EDIT: just noticed he mentioned there will only be two characters on screen at a time, so that confirms it. Perfectly fine.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

The character looks great.

Why don't you just test the performance?

6. saymoo

saymoo

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Those characters look great. They really give me that heeby jeeby feeling which is what a well designed horror looking character should do.

8. DavidB

DavidB

Character looks great, almost reminds me of the woods-ey creepy style of the old games of Splatter House, except this ofc looks new age and pwnage :D haha. Great work.

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

That poly count is fine but I think that texture map resolution is too big.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. spurge0n

spurge0n

That's really great.

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Looks really good, but I defiantely think youre going to need to cut down the tri's, otherwise your whole budget will be gone with only 2-3 chars on the screen. Of course you dont really need to have a scene... it could be an image that you move over top of, making only the chars models.. assume that would work.

12. Train

Train

The model is very nice, but i must say it too, the texture is with 2048 x 2048 so big for this details. 512 x 512 is ok for this model with this details.

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

nice work. To me it has a very twisted metal like character design.

14. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

You should probably upload some higher quality screens. It's really hard to judge a 5,000 triangle character with 2048x2048 maps from two 800x600 (ish) screenshots which are also jam-packed with jpeg artifacts. People keep saying that it's far too high spec for the details, but unless they've found high res pics I haven't they can't possible know how much detail there is in the character.

One thing to bear in mind. Your cubes aren't rigged and they're not being animated vertex by vertex. Your character will (I presume?) That's a lot of overhead. Might be good to get a quick test rig set up and see how that affects performance.

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

So far work on slaughter is great :) cant wait till we have the main char done and finally some development on the environment! Lets get in gear already and launch a kickstarter ;)

16. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

This is probably the thing we'll want to test for next.

Simply put though, we're trying to bring players the best graphics this side of Infinity Blade 2.

But if the performance hit is too big once we've rigged and animated our characters, we're entirely comfortable lowering the map size. Keep in mind it takes much more effort to turn a 1024x1024 map into a 2048x2048 one than to take a 2048x2048 map and turn it into a 1024x1024 one. If things don't work out the way we'd like, the maps WILL get pared down.

Charlie meanwhile has done a fantastic job for us as well. The entire team actually has been a joy to work with. We can't wait to show you what we've got lined up next.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  17. Cryptnar

Cryptnar

really good job on the characters