Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SLATE (Complete Gameplay Cutscenes & Cinematics Sequencer)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nuverian, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ksam2

ksam2

Yes please do this, It will be functional.

2. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Still dont have any reply

3. nuverian

nuverian

Hello,

I have send you the same email 3 times already (grafikac4d_AT_gmail.com) with the first time being on July 03.
    It is apparently caught up by the spam filter for whatever reason.
    The asset is not abandoned or anything similar at all.

4. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Very sorry then for misunderstanfding, but I always check spam and there is nothing there I will contact you by PM it will be best way.

nuverian likes this.
  5. namdo

namdo

I'm having some issues. This was fine on Sunday. I'm creating a cutscene using animation and final ik to hold an object. However when the animation is playing, and the right arm ik weight is 1 so i can move it around.

However now, the animation skips towards the arm ik and the normal animation. it skips back and forth and isnt smooth. It's not overriding the animation

6. nuverian

nuverian

Hello,

Hmm... It is a bit hard for me to exactly understand what can be going wrong, or your exact setup. :(
    Is it possible for you to please send me the project (or any reproduction mini project) to check it out in person to "support_AT_paradoxnotion.com"?

If so that would be fantastic!

Let me know.
    Thank you!

(By the way, please consider using the Official Slate Forums for faster support if you can)

7. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello i have a problem with rendering to mp4, quality of compression is totally low qualitty how to change that?

Next question is is there option to copy automatically all components from main camera, for example I use Enviro and clouds dont work on my cutscenes cause enviro main camera needs enviro render clouds special component. The same thing with camera pos processing effects, Is there way to copy it in automatic way? Option with copy camera settings dont work there

8. namdo

namdo

I fixed the issue. IT had to do with final IK and animator mode. Animate Physics and Normal.

9. MostHated

MostHated

EDIT -----------------------
    I got it figured out, I didn't realize you have to drag the shot camera from the scene into the editor window. I though you would just apply it to the camera track for that particular shot camera since it was right there.
    EDIT ----------------------

I must be missing something? I am trying to get my camera to follow a path, but I do not see either Follow Path or Look At anywhere?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    nuverian likes this.
  10. MostHated

MostHated

Any idea what is up with this? It is extremely annoying. : (

11. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello we have bug yellow warning using slate
    "
    null texture passed to GUI.DrawTexture
    UnityEngine.GUI:DrawTexture(Rect, Texture)
    Slate.HierarchyIcons:ShowIcons(Int32, Rect) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Design/Editor/Other/HierarchyIcons.cs:32)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    "

MostHated likes this.
  12. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,

Hmm. That looks weird indeed and is definitely annoying.
    Just to rule out a few possibilities, can you please turn off camera shot thumbnails in the Preferences (gear icon on the top right of the editor) and let me know if the problem persists even with the preview thumbnails turned off?
    Thanks!

Hello,
    There is indeed an issue with icons in Unity 2018 which has already been fixed.
    I can send the new version to anyone that needs it. If so, please get in contact here with a request for the new version so that you don't have to wait for it to become available on the Asset Store.
    Thanks!

13. MostHated

MostHated

@nuverian Is it at all possible to include things made in Unity Timeline in a Slate sequence? Since UMotion lets you animate directly in Timeline I am thinking that if I can do some specific things I want to do in Timeline and then have that play in Slate, it just might work how I am hoping it will.

14. mkgame

mkgame

Hi, I see no example scenes in your asset. Do you have any examples? And then still 5 *, must be a good tool ;)

15. mkgame

mkgame

Unity 5.6.6f2

Hi,

I have trouble with on the fly in game cut scenes. The audio listener is usually attached to the main camera. Slate adds for each camera shot a camera. What is the workflow here? It is not enough to disable the listener on the main camera, Unity still complains about multiple listener.
    I also cannot use the main camera instead of the camera shot, to show the cut scene, because the path nodes have no direction. That can just be set by the camera shots in the camera director, by the rotation key frames.
    Then, I would also have to copy all the components to each shot camera to maintain the same visual effects, like Beautify, Volume Fog and other.

I see at the time only one solution for the audio listener, and that would be to move the disabled main camera to the position of the "camera shots", to have the listener on the correct position.

Any other idea?

16. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello I have a problem with work on animator and simple grounder component it just seems to doeasnt work, I wish if there will be more precission manual to slate ;) Then there will be no need to ask. Is there any option to have root montion on actor and use grounder in the same time? or animate Y of actor when using drive motor on animator track? I noticed that there is problem with preview of drive motored actor on animator, cause every time I slide timeline slider actor rotates a little so every time I would to see in proper way animated actor I have to stop whole cutscene and play it since start.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  17. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Ohand we wstill have problem with upside down image when rendering to file. Any fix for that? Contacted by pw but no reply still ;)

EDIT:

WE FOUND FIX!! I will write it here maybe it help someone :)
    It seems that there cant be any other camera on scene with the same effects like in rendering slate camera, then there is no upside video render problem

nuverian likes this.
  18. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

1. Hello, I am trying to do a character animation with mecanim track and head look track, though head doesn't move unless I disable mecanim track. Seems to override head look thing.

It seems like this problem is since 2016. Is there avaliable fix? I have newest version form asset store and I'm using unity 2018.2

2. Second thing is that sometimes there are errors of editor when for example enabling fidabling tracks
      ArgumentException: The Playable is invalid. It has either been Disposed or was never created.
      UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableHandle.GetInputHandle (Int32 index)
      UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableHandle.GetInput (Int32 inputPort) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Director/PlayableHandle.bindings.cs:55)
      UnityEngine.Playables.PlayableExtensions.GetInput[AnimationMixerPlayable] (AnimationMixerPlayable playable, Int32 inputPort) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Director/PlayableExtensions.cs:186)
      Slate.AnimatorTrack.UpdateClip (Slate.ActionClips.PlayAnimatorClip playAnimClip, Single clipTime, Single clipPrevious, Single weight) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Directables/Tracks/Runtime/Actor/AnimatorTrack_2017.cs:170)
      Slate.ActionClips.PlayAnimatorClip.OnUpdate (Single time, Single previousTime) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Directables/Clips/Runtime/AnimatorTrack/PlayAnimatorClip.cs:81)
      Slate.ActionClip.Slate.IDirectable.Update (Single time, Single previousTime) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/ActionClip.cs:163)
      Slate.StartTimePointer.Slate.IDirectableTimePointer.Update (Single currentTime, Single previousTime) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/TimePointers.cs:60)
      Slate.Cutscene.Internal_SamplePointers (Single currentTime, Single previousTime) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/Cutscene.cs:540)
      UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
      Slate.Cutscene:Internal_SamplePointers(Single, Single) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/Cutscene.cs:541)
      Slate.Cutscene:Sample(Single) (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/Cutscene.cs:483)
      Slate.Cutscene:Sample() (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Framework/Cutscene.cs:461)
      Slate.CutsceneEditor:OnEditorUpdate() (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Design/Editor/Windows/CutsceneEditor.cs:491)
      UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunction

3. Also I have this exception
      ExecuteMenuItem failed because there is no menu named 'Window/Game'
      UnityEditor.EditorApplication:ExecuteMenuItem(String)
      Slate.RenderWindow:Begin() (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Design/Editor/Windows/RenderWindow.cs:129)
      Slate.RenderWindow:OnGUI() (at assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Design/Editor/Windows/RenderWindow.cs:106)
      UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

19. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Last thing maybe that will help other users too. Rogo Digital Lipsynch dev contacted us that he made changes needed to handle emotions on Bones Blend system by Slate :) We hope now there will be no problem to implement that. I will only add that until now Rogo Lipsynch was handling only blendshapes emotions properly thats why when using bone position emotion it doeasnt work in slate :) So quite good informations.

20. nuverian

nuverian

-------------------------
    Hello everyone,
    Sorry for the late replied due to summer vacation.
    As I usually say before each reply here, for support questions, please do use the official Slate Forums! :)
    Thank you!
    -------------------------

Hello!

Shot Cameras are mostly "dummy" cameras used for their position/rotation/FOV settings as well as preview thumbnails. A cutscene is never rendered through those "Shot Cameras" but rather only through what is called the "Render Camera" which can be found as a child under the "Director Camera Root" gameobject, which does indeed has an Audio Listener. Do you get the "multiple audio listeners" warning every frame while the cutscene is playing, or rather only at some certain frame/moment?

When a Cutscene is started, the Main Camera (the camera tagged as "MainCamera" in your scene if any) is disabled first and the Render Camera is then enabled.

The Render Camera is then always following the movements/animation of each Shot Camera in the Camera Track.

Thus to clarify in regards to your questions:

- You shouldn't directly animate the Main Camera, since the Main Camera is disabled.
    - You can however animate the Render Camera if you don't want to use separate Shots.
    - The "Director" Group is the group that corresponds to the Render Camera, thus to animate the Render Camera, you can simply do it by adding a Properties Track or an Animate Properties Clip, in the "Director" group. You can then leave the Camera Track empty or simply delete it since you aren't going to use separate Camera Shots.
    - Regarding image effects, you only need to add them to the Render Camera, not in each and every Shot.

Please let me know if that clarifies your questions and issues you are facing.

Thank you!

Hey!
    I have replied to your PMs regarding your questions and issues :)
    Thanks!

21. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Hello guys!
    We want to share with You screenshots and trailer of our game " The End of the Sun", where we used Slate to make whole trailer.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH TRAILER

Nuverian it will be great if You post our trailer on Your webpage or assetstore to promote Slate, just add somewhere link to our webpage.
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR OFFICIAL WEBSITE

We hope You 'll like it and add our game to steam wishlist :)
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR STEAM STORE PAGE

View attachment 294691

RELEVANT LINKS

Game’s official website: http://www.endofsun.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EndOfTheSunGame

YouTube Official: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFoSXpa4XVRZEC...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/endofsungame/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/endofthesungame

Gamedev blog: https://www.endofsun.com/blog/

Screenshots and gameplay materials: https://www.endofsun.com/#Gallery

nuverian likes this.
  22. nuverian

nuverian

@kubaskia Looking great! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the game release :)

23. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thank you! :)

@nuverian I contacted you by e-mail also Rogo Digital dev contacted you about 3 weeks ago with new changes that are need to implement emotions bone based in Slate. This is important. We are waiting for that over few months, pleae give us know, cause this case is strech very long time.We hope you could reply very soon. Cause we really waiting for that.

24. nuverian

nuverian

Hey!
    I just want to let you know that I have replied to your email with the implementation requested.
    Please confirm that your have indeed received my emails.
    Thank you!

25. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thank you for support! :) We will test it :) So now user of slate could use emotions directly on slate timeline :) great! :)

Now when we have bone based emotion work we are creating proper cutscenes with dialogues etc when will be ready, we will send you some making off or new trailer :) I hope more people will start using slate. There is timeline in unity already, but slate has a lot of ready features what speed up basic worlkflow a lot! :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  26. nuverian

nuverian

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on Slate! Much appreciated! :)
    I am looking forward to see all nice cutscene you make!

27. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thanks :) Please consider adding Master Audio AAA options to slate, this is the best on asset store audio system, also it has already ready action components so I think modifying it would be just few minutes for you ;) Simple plat, fade, etc ;)

28. marcos

marcos

Hi @nuverian

Is there a way to end a looping cutscene but trigger the camera animation to ease back into gameplay? I've managed to dynamically set the camera track Blend In to ease into the cutscene, but setting the Blend Out and triggering the cutscene to stop seems to just snap back to the gameplay camera.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Kindest,
    Mark

29. flashframe

flashframe

I needed to do something similar, where I wanted to exit a loop without interrupting it and play to the end of the cutscene. I made a workaround which requires editing the source and modifying the Cutscene.playingWrapMode property to have a public setter.

When I want to break out of a loop, I change cutscene.playTimeEnd to the duration of the cutscene and cutscene.wrapMode to Cutscene.WrapMode.Once.

nuverian likes this.
  30. Salja

Salja

MC_PM.jpg

Some people have asked me, if I can do actions for Motion Controller and Slate Cinematic Sequencer, and here they are.

Screenshot_2.png

-- EquipMotionControllerWeaponSet (Equip Motion Controller WeaponSet) Note: You can use a WeaponSetIndex (int).
    -- SetMotionControllerCursor (Set the Motion Controller Cursor During Cutscenes) Note: You can Enable or Disable.
    -- SetMotionControllerInput (Enable or Disable Motion Controller Input During Cutscenes)
    -- StoreMotionControllerWeaponSet (Store Motion Controller WeaponSet During Cutscenes)

Screenshot_3.png

If someone still wishes just say a quick note.

My Playmaker Actions for Motion Controller you can found in the Vault, or at Github.
    I will move later this actions to github too.

Changelog:

V1: Relase
    V2: Massive Code Cleanup
    V3: Move to ActorActionClip
    V4: Fix Mistake
    V5: Fix Mistake
    V6: Small Improve & Rename
    V7: Change Path to "Assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Resources/Extensions".

Working on:

Playing around with some new Idea with ootii and Slate Cutscenes, the idea is to blend from gameplay to interactive cutscenes.
    Example, the Player runs into a Trigger (now we disable the input and enable the “Use Transfrom of AC”) the Character walks now alone to a point, if the cutscene is finish we make a nice blend back to the gameplay, thats will make a nice flow with ootii and slate.

Is hardcore WIP i just play with some ideas

Attached Files:

nuverian likes this.
  31. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm trying to determine whether Slate will fit my needs. I'm just a bit unclear on exactly what a "cutscene" is, in Slate terminology. I've looked through this thread, so sorry if I've missed where this was answered.

Basically, does Slate require complete control over the whole scene? Or can Slate be used to control a portion of what's going on? For example, let's say I have a FPS-style game, where the player always has control. There are no "cutscenes", in the sense that I'm never taking control away from the player to watch a video. But when the player does something, I want some other character in the game to say something, maybe walk over to a computer and start typing, maybe cause a door to open. All of this will be going on while the player still has full control to walk around.

Does Slate support this kind of workflow, where it's managing a set of objects in the scene, but not necessarily everything in the scene?

*Edit: Also, FWIW, your support/documentation website isn't loading for me right now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  32. flashframe

flashframe

Yes, you can do this with Slate. You will probably want to disable the camera track, but other than that not much to it. Slate will only change what you tell it to.

nuverian and dgoyette like this.
  33. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, it seems the website it working fine for me now.

nuverian likes this.
  34. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Soon 2018.3 Release is Slate compatible with that version of unity? :) We just would to know before updating ;)

35. Salja

Salja

You have Slate right ? Download 2018.3 and check it out takes less then 10 mins:)

36. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,
    I have recently checked current Slate version with Unity 2018.3, and apart from some warnings mostly about deprecated or changed things related to prefabs, everything seems to work fine already thankfully :)
    I will of course fix all warnings soon and double check that everything does indeed work!

37. nuverian

nuverian

This looks really neat!
    Thanks a lot for making and sharing this :)

Salja likes this.
  38. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,

Sorry, I missed your post when making the previous replies.
    Hmm.. When you call Stop on the cutscene, the fact that it snaps to the end of the cutscene is the expected behaviour (when StopMode is set to Skip), which of course is not what you want :).

Considering I understand the requirement correctly, then what @flashframe said is totally correct. It is a matter of modifying the 'playingWrapMode' to 'WrapMode.Once' (along with other changes that you need), but of course modifying the source code is not that great. I will add a "BreakLoop" method to Cutscene for that in the next version, along with some other ideas I have about looping and breaking out of loop in relation to Sections :)
    Meanwhile, please confirm that the solution of making the 'Cutscene.playingWrapMode' public and setting it to 'WrapMode.Once' like @flashframe said, does indeed bring the results you were after.

Thanks!

Etrain, marcos and flashframe like this.
  39. marcos

marcos

Thanks! I'll give it a shot over the weekend and report back :)

40. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, I wonder if there is a way to send an audio file to Audio Source using slate?

I setup an audio source for my character but seems I can't send audio from slate to that audio source.

41. flashframe

flashframe

If you add an Audio Track and and Actor Audio Track component, there's a checkbox that says "Use Audio Source On Actor"

nuverian and ksam2 like this.
  42. ksam2

ksam2

I knew this was my weakness, not the Slate :) Thanks.

43. nuverian

nuverian

Hello everyone! The new version 1.9.0, has just been send to the asset store. :)

Here are the important changes:

• Updated for Unity 2018.3. The only thing that is not working correctly, is the camera shot frustrum gizmos (I think it's a Unity bug).
    • All GC allocations for animated parameters are now droped to zero for JIT platfoms (using IL Emit).
    • Sections can now be looped either a specific amount of times, or forever. In either case, a call to "BreakSectionLoop", will break out of the current section loop if any.
    • Speaking of breaking loops, as promised to some, there is now a "BreakCustsceneLoop" function as well.
    • Fixed and ensured all clips are working consistently as far as selected TransformSpace is concerned.
    • Added a new type of TransformSpace; TransformSpace.Parent.
    • Added rotation handles in relevant clips and a [RotationHandle] attribute for those who make custom clips.
    • Animator Track clips now have the option to either "Auto Match" previous clip position/rotation (that is what was happening already), or "Manually Set" explicit position/rotation coordinates for when the animation clip starts.
    • SubCutscenes, can now be trimmed or looped like normal clips do.
    • SubScenes, can now be set to "spawn" at specific rotation on top of already possible position.
    • New Tracks added in Actor Groups are now added on top instead of at the bottom.
    • Properties Track is now deprecated. Please use the Animate Properties clips (it's better).
    • Added new option to "Zoom At Target Frame" in Dynamic Shot Composer. This will basically zoom in/out and try to match the "view frame", to the "target frame". It can be used to create some interesting shots.
    • Fixed rotation jittering is Dynamic Shot Composer that was happening when "target frame" was very small.
    I hope you enjoy!

Crossway, dgoyette and ksam2 like this.
  44. namdo

namdo

Lipsync Pro and Final IK plugins dont work anymore.

dgoyette likes this.
  45. dgoyette

dgoyette

The latest Slate with the latest LipSyncPro extension on your site results in a compiler error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Resources/Extensions/LipSync/LipSyncSpeech.cs(14,15): error CS0535: `Slate.ActionClips.RogoDigitalLipSync.LipSyncSpeech' does not implement interface member `Slate.ISubClipContainable.subClipSpeed.get'

46. dgoyette

dgoyette

Any time I exit PlayMode after a clip has played (even after when it's done playing), I get this warning:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/3rd Party/ParadoxNotion/SLATE Cinematic Sequencer/Directables/Tracks/Runtime/Actor/AnimatorTrack_2017.cs(188) : PlayableGraph was not Disposed.
    Is this something I'm not doing properly after playing a clip?

47. nuverian

nuverian

Thanks guys.
    I have just updated and uploaded the extensions. Please re-download them from Slate website.

I missed that in my latest refactor. To fix this, please open up Cutscene.cs and in method OnDestroy line #256, please add this line of code at the very start of that method:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. protected void OnDestroy(){
    2.     if (isActive){ Stop(StopMode.Rewind); }
    Thank you.

ksam2 and dgoyette like this.
  48. dgoyette

dgoyette

Something I'm noticing, though it seems this was happening in 1.8X as well, so probably not a regression. Maybe I'm just surprised at the behavior.

If I stop a cutscene that has a LipSync Pro clip playing, using StopMode.Hold, the audio doesn't stop playing.

Code (CSharp):
    1. cutscene.Stop(Cutscene.StopMode.Hold);
    Is that expected with Hold? Or should the audio stop as well?

Adding this to the Stop method seems to resolve it, but I don't know what other kinds of trouble I'm creating for myself by doing this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.   if (stopMode == StopMode.Hold)
    2.             {
    3.                 Sample(_currentTime);
    4.             }
    Maybe "Hold" is meant for something else, but I want to be able to stop a cutscene dead it is tracks, without skipping to the end, without undoing anything. "Hold" seemed to do this, aside from not stopping the audio.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  49. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,
    I am really sorry for the late reply! Please consider using the Slate Forums since I am (obviously) far more active there!
    In the case of StopMode.Halt, the expected behaviour would be for the audio to stop playing as well, just like you expected :) Your fix is totaly fine and would not create any other unexpected troubles.
    Thank you!

Crossway and dgoyette like this.
  50. Crossway

Crossway

I'm creating a smoking scene and really need to reverse a section of my cutscene! is that possible? Can you please add an action for playmaker to reverse a section? that can be really useful.