Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Games Skyrider prototype racing game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by SiwardJCS, May 20, 2020.

1. SiwardJCS

SiwardJCS

cs747 likes this.
  2. munchou

munchou

Hi,

It's a prototype, so I can't criticize much (right?).
    Only 2 things really bothered me:
    - When going reverse and turning, it turns the wrong way.
    - How is the mass distributed? The vehicle doesn't fall off the track when even 3/4 of it has nothing to hold it. And it doesn't follow the angle of the slopes, it always keeps its horizontal position.

Good luck!

3. SiwardJCS

SiwardJCS

Thanks for trying it out. I may try using a narrower collision box on the vehicle to see if it makes a difference with it staying on the track. The reason it doesn't follow slopes is the rotations are frozen on x and z to keep it from flipping over.

4. munchou

munchou

If it flips over, add the possibility of changing the center of mass. Then by adjusting the latter (especially on the y axis), it should solve your issue.

5. cs747

cs747

I played this game right to the end, the introduction was compelling and the custscenes are a nice way of taking a break from the racing. The story was a bit tricky to follow but there are valuable tips given by the characters before the race begins. The gameplay is fun and challenging without being too difficult. There are shortcuts on some levels that can be risky to take but allow a big advantage. The graphics are somewhat primitive but each level has distinct visuals to help keep the gameplay progression interesting.

The mending of the dialogue and racing gameplay is the most special part of this game, it would be cool to have the ability to interact with the characters throughout the game by choosing from multiple responses and potentially having an influence on the story. More emphasis on both the racing and story could go a long way - like during racing, more intense gameplay with powerups and threats, and in between races, maybe the ability to upgrade your jet and chat more with the characters.

6. SiwardJCS

SiwardJCS

Thanks for your input. There will be a follow up game in the future that takes the story to a different level and uses some of the ideas you are talking about.

cs747 likes this.
  7. SiwardJCS

SiwardJCS

I tried changing the center of mass and it still flips. I wonder if it's worth the frustration of being able to flip the vehicle.

unityunity