Search Unity

Skybox issue with Enlighten.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by thehosse, Feb 9, 2015.

1. thehosse

thehosse

Going crazy here! :)

Have 2 scenes that use the same skybox as enlighten ambient source yet one renders the the ambient source fine and the other renders it as black....

Both scenes use the same skybox asset and have the same scene settings...

Anyone seen this before?

2. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

You need to bake lightmapping or else it'll stay black. It's terrible that they haven't added the baking of a 128 resolution skybox light instantly.

3. thehosse

thehosse

Ah right, I can't even get the level to bake, the clustering process takes hours and my machine eventually runs out of memory.

If they had some basic documentation for enlighten we might be able to solve some of these issues ourselves.... really wishing beast could be a legacy option... enlighten so far has been an absolute train wreck. Sorry Unity guys I know you are working hard!

4. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Honestly I love enlighten, it just needs a few things. It needs to be computed on the GPU (it's possible, unity just doesn't intend to release it in 5.0, but somewhere along 5.X cycle, which is bad, cuz it should be released in 5.0), and fix lightmapping terrain, and just fix the getting stuck. Enlighten looks amazing, but it's just not fully functional yet. That's fine, they just shouldn't be intending to release unity 5 yet...

5. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

The only way I've been able to get past the clustering phase on any bake of even moderate complexity is to set the General GI - Default Parameters to "Default - Very Low Resolution." Otherwise, same problem, can't get out of clustering and eventually run out of memory.

6. Roni92

Roni92

Its terrible that some ppl want engine to make things for them :rolleyes:

7. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

..... No.... You don't understand what I mean. In the lighting tab, there's the skybox reflection. It is supposed to be automatic and be the input for reflections in the standard shader. That reflection will be completely black until the end of a bake. I was saying it should be instant, not require a bake.

8. Roni92

Roni92

Yup, sorry then. Now it makes sense.

9. protopop

protopop

All my reflections were black until i added a light probe. I added a large one that covers my scene. But you're right - you shouldn't have to add a lightprobe (or at least intuitively i dont think it should be required) and selecting skybox doesn't seem to work at least in b22.