Search Unity

Skybox is too dark with HDRP and Directional lighting

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AlexDicy, Dec 27, 2020.

1. AlexDicy

AlexDicy

Using HDRP and Default Skybox with a directional light, but the skybox is way too dark and everything I've tried to fix that didn't bring any result.
    Example:

Default Skybox:

Directional light settings:

Lighting settings (Scene)

Lighting settings (Environment)

HDRP Exposure settings:

I've tried changing the skybox exposure, changing the light power with no success.

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. AlexDicy

AlexDicy

Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Unfortunately ticking the box so won't change anything

P.S changing the exposure value from 11 to another value does change the lighting, but putting a number higher than 11 darkens the scene or worse makes everything white

4. Mauri

Mauri

Wait a minute... I see you're trying to use a HDRI Skybox, but you've plugged in a regular DefaultSkybox material?

Have you tried plugging in the DefaultHDRISky material instead?

5. AlexDicy

AlexDicy

I've noticed that error when I was messing with the camera settings and I've put it back to normal, thanks. But the problem remains, I'll update the screenshots

Update (messing up with only the exposure value):

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  6. Entretoize

Entretoize

Did you find a solution, I have the same problem, if I set the exposure higher the ground is too much lighten, if I set it low the sky is too dark, can't I just remove that "connection" between sky and ambient lighting ?

7. AlexDicy

AlexDicy

Unfortunately, I did not

8. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

You can : https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ual-environment-from-the-lighting-environment

The sky and terrain seem ok to me here (or at least, consistant in terms of lighting) , the weapon and arm look to bright imho.

9. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

10. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, your sky exposure is too low. For a brightly lit sun, it should be around 14 EV. By using 11 EV, you basically make your sky 2^(14-11) = 8 times weaker than it should, hence it's looking very dark.

See the documentation, and this cheat sheet below: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...inition@12.1/manual/Physical-Light-Units.html

And if you don't want to deal with sky exposure, just switch to the physically-based sky in your Visual Environment: it'll directly react to the directional light, without having to tune anything.