Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Skybox artefacts on build

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by FloweryAF, Oct 19, 2021.

1. FloweryAF

FloweryAF

Hi all,
    In builds only, I'm getting these hectic artefacts upon moving into this scene. It doesn't happen in the editor.
    It looks to me like baking / lightmap / cache error, but I'm not using any baked lighting and it only happens on this scene (out of 7 scenes that are all built similarly).

As you can see from the bottom left the scene, it slowly rights itself if you turn away from the sky.

Any idea what I've done to trigger this?

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 7.47.26 am.png

2. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Hey,

I'm not really sure what I am looking at here. Those black squares are the artifacts you refer to, I assume? Are they mis-lit renderers, or just spontaneous black spots? If the latter, it almost looks to me like some kind of NaN propagation.

Are you using the builtin pipeline or a SRP (HDRP, URP)? Which Unity version? I assume URP from the tag. IIRC they have some way to deal with NaNs, look at "Stop NaN" on this page https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...al@7.2/manual/camera-component-reference.html

Hope some of this helps, cheers.

3. FloweryAF

FloweryAF

Yes, sorry, that was stupidly vague of me.
    This is what that shot would normally look like. I'm using 2020.3.17, URP.
    Those black squares stay in screen space (ie don't move with the camera) and seem to appear over the skybox, but after looking at geometry on the ground, disappear quickly and then the skybox is back.
    It looks similar to something that was happening when I had two scenes sharing the same Lighting Settings asset. (in fact it might still be that? I'm not baking anything, have no GI etc, so I was not paying any attention to Lighting Settings. Should those assets be unique to every scene even if I'm not baking anything? - lighting is really not my thing, can you tell?)

QMP screenshot (04213).jpg

4. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Sharing Lighting Settings Assets between scenes is fine, shouldn't cause issues. Seeing the comparison, those artifacts definitely look suspicious. Did you try the "Stop NaN" option I referred to? Either way, this looks like a bug to me, so I recommend filing a bug report.

5. FloweryAF

FloweryAF

Will do! Thank you!