Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics [HDRP-UPR ✅] Sky Master ULTIMATE-Physical skybox-Volume clouds-Weather FX-Ocean-Realtime GI-Mobile

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics from the WIP in the new Unity 5 Ocean demo for Sky Master v1.5

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master v1.5 has been submitted to the store and pending review !!!!!

Sky Master ULTIMATE Ocean demo

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/UNITY 5/SKYMASTER OCEAN DEMO.html

The demo showcases the new skybox mode integration with IBL and GI in Unity 5. The baking of indirect light did not actually finish after two days, so i will follow with a new demo when i manage to bake it properly. Still it seems to work rather nice.

Also note that the Heavy Storm is in time lapse mode, please use the other demos for the more realistic speed for clouds.

A demo for the scatter fog and new performance oriented assets is the current work in progress and will follow soon.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Upcoming feature list for v1.6

- Extra controls for the artistic skybox shader, more filters and effects library

- Prefab manager addition, with as many prefab options as possible and the smaller systems independently provided
    - Extra details in lightning
    - Shader based cloud dome, multiple domes possibilty for depth
    - Shadows, lightning and rain from volumetric clouds
    - More motion, shading and shape blending options for volumetric clouds
    - More demo scenes, with Unity 5 effects like the version 1.5 ocean demo

Also now that Unity 5 is free and the tool is in a very advanced state, i plan to start making some cool demo scenes with complete art and for use directly as a game level. Ideas on that are welcome.

Some of these plans inluded a 2.5D style scene, for platformers, an island scene and more

The new skybox renderer works great in orthographic camera and is shader model 2.0, for maximum performance and compatibility.

Sky Master v1.5 is up at the store !!!!!

Enjoy stunning skies, full Unity 5 integration, real volumetric clouds with only one draw call, scatter fog, weather & season cycle and much more.

Sky Master Demo
    Global Illumination Demo - Atrium
    Volumetric Clouds Fly through Demo

Sky Master ULTIMATE Ocean demo

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity 5 videos, more are WIP with Speed tree and a more complete setting

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP for the next update in Unity 5 demo.

I have to say OMG what the new Image effects can do :) :)

I have been playing with them all morning and the results are out of this world with Sky Master.

The beauty of the true volumetric clouds in Sky Master with the sun beam effect is beyond description.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP Unity 5 demo

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Mild sun rays and artistic effect on sun

8. superwendel

superwendel

Nasos, do you ever sleep? :D

Looks great!

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Rarely :) and always for less than 4 hours :)

Thanks for the kind comments, Unity 5 is really opening a huge number of new possibilities for cool effects. I have only scratched the surface with image effects.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Playing with various mood options, this will be one of the options to adjust in the upcoming sky configurator

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

A small update about Unity 5

It seems that the "Tag.cs" helper script that runs when unity starts to setup the tags/layers in Unity 4, is running in Unity 5 without success and shows a message in the console constantly. The script will be updated for the next version (either by cutting it off with !Unity_5 or try to find how to implement it in Unity 5 properly)

In the mean time the script can be erased from Unity 5 project so it stops producing the "add layer" warning. The required layer must be set manually in Unity 5 as described in the manual. (Though this layer is required for reflections and is probably not needed when using Unity 5 in skybox mode, since reflections are integrated by default and do no need extra setup)

EDIT: Also a problem has been discovered with the scatter fog terrain shaders in Unity 5, in DX9 mode (does not happen in DX11 mode), they require some extra intitlizations in Unity 5, i am working on it and hopefully will solve it today.

@twobob
    A huge thanks for brining this to my attention and for all the help with the pack optimization :)

EDIT 2:

The bolded line below fixes the produced errors in the Unity and Mesh terrain shaders
    (in SMDistFoggyTerrainFP.shader and SM_Foggy_Terrain.shader files).

"
    v2f vert(appdata_full v) {
    v2f o;
    UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(v2f,o);

"

Also from tests i did it seems the terrain shader works only in linear color space, i am looking to find a way to make it work in gamma space as well.

Also for the previous non foggy terrain shader, Unity 4 version seems to not be working in Unity 5

This can be solved by replacing the shader in Assets/SkyMaster/Materials/SMTerrain/SkyMaster Terrain Material with the Unity 5 diffuse terrain shader.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

One draw call volumetric clouds + super CPU optimization, running perfectly even on my almost 5 years old non gaming laptop (2 draw calls for any cloud number and sky rendering - real volume clouds with ability to fly through and occlude sun beams etc)

UPDATE:

Version 1.6 has been submitted to the store for review and will be released early next week.

This version fixes some issues with terrain scatter fog shaders in Unity 5 and updates prefabs for the new Unity version. Also brings a big (and adjustable) optimization in volumetric cloud CPU usage.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some artistic play with the sky in Unity 5.

I have discovered another issue while making the Airplane demo, the sun drops fast as the camera raises from the ground, so i added a check to adjust that drop rate by the camera height, with some options for latency (or completly static follow) while the camera moves. This can for example be adjusted to vanish the sun depending on the planet scale.

14. mittense

mittense

Loading this up fresh in Unity 5 and there are... Many issues.

A) The organization of the SkyManager is overly general for use outside of the demo content (like, I have no need for butterflies or falling leaves in my game, but there are runtime errors when presets aren't present)
    B) The demos are kind of a mess of features that don't work and some that I can't tell if they work and aren't great or don't work at all.
    C) Volumetric != lots of particles

In general, been super disappointed with what was not a super cheap purchase.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi mittense,

A) I understand the issues with the system, i have had complaints about the full prefabs, so i have included in v1.5 cleaner ones and soon in v1.6 i have done all the extra checks required so everything can be removed from the extra systems used without issue. At least one of the new (v1.5) prefabs has a setup that everything is disabled, so you may use that one until v1.6 is out.

I can also send v1.6 right away if you would like to have that before it hits the store, as it is under review right now. Unity 5 is a new ground too, so i have tried my best to offer full compatibility, but there were still some issues that are now fixed in v1.6.

B) If you can be more specific about what features do not work, i can address any issues. I have tested everything extensively, but given the complexity of the asset maybe i have indeed missed some and i would be glad to address them in a next update or help clarify their use. Some functionality requires a few tags to be added as well, so maybe this is the cause (since in Unity 5 i could not automate the tag creation like in Unity 4). These required tags are described in the manual.

C) Lots of particles is still volumetric (just not in the usual definition of the term) and supports fly through as well. Also can have any texture than a rigid "true" volumetric system that is complex to alter and control. I know at least one other big asset that calls its particle clouds true 3D volumetrics, so i just follow what the other older store assets named their clouds. Also they take only one draw call, do not need DX11 or SM3.0 and work on all systems.

I hope the above help clarify, for any other question or request please let me know and i will try to address everything as fast as possible.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. mittense

mittense

Sure thing, it's in both of our best interests for this to get awesome. :D

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am always working on perfecting my assets, it is just that there are things i dont catch but i am always in active developement to get everything right for every request or issue.

Please forgive some of the checks missing, i know this is frustrating, hopefully i got them all sorted now in v1.6.

For any further problem or request you can post here or sent email and i will try to respond as soon as possible.

I will upload the v1.6 and send a PM with a dropbox link asap. Keep in mind that the tags required for some of the functionality will still have to be manually placed in Unity 5 (Unity 4 has that automated). I can offer a quick list with all required here as well, for quick reference.

Please also send me a PM with the pack invoice for reference.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have uploaded the pack and sent the link in PM. There are two extra prefabs that have only got the sky enabled, for a clean base (name ends with ONLY in Version 1.5 folder prefabs, one for skybox and one for skydome case)

The procedure to enable the prefabs for Unity 5 is described in the next steps:

1. Click on the SkyboxMat property in SkyMasterManager script of the prefab that uses the skybox, to move to the material folder (or go to SkyMaster/Version1.5/Materials/Skybox folder)
    2. Locate the "Skybox-Procedural_SkyMaster Unity5" material and drag it to the SkyMasterManager script in SkyboxMat parameter
    3. Click on the "Unity 5" toggle option in the SkyMasterManager script
    4. Assing "1" in the Cam_follow_factor option, this is required for the Unity 5 shader in order to keep the sky steady when the camera height changes. A different number can also be used to give a latency effect as the hight changes (i use 1.05 to make the sun look more reddish on higher heights)

The rest is automated and should work right away with the proper Unity 5 sky shader and settings. The package in "_UNITY5 UPDATE" folder also contains a demo scene with this setup ready, for reference.

I can also send the new Unity 5 demo WIP scene, that has some cool image effect usage and setup.

Here is the tags that need to go in the project (if not automatically added)

Conductor (for attracting lightning)
    Flammable (for cathcing fire/ice)
    Flamer (for spreading fire/ice)
    Tornado
    SkyMasterTree (for changing color with seasons, must have two materials and one have color property, like Unity trees setup)
    Grass (for attract/repel particles only in Y axis, assing on particle system)
    Butter (for butterflies behavior)
    Freezable (for freeze effects behavior)

More details on each option and the advanced particle systems can be found in the manual. Also let me know for any question on using the advanced systems like particle propagation, collisions etc.

19. mittense

mittense

The new demo does work a lot better and give a better idea as to the state of this add-on, thanks.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi everyone,

I have finished the new v.1.6 of the pack and i can send the link on demand, in order to avoid the store review delay.

The new version brings a lot of performance enchancements and usuability fixes.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), i hope i can do even better in the next versions too, i am hard at work at a very impressive Unity 5 demo with the new image effects integrated too

Here is a video (goes a bit slow due to my ancient laptop trying to record and play something so epic :), but shows the target). The final goal is to create a mini game with an airplane that will fly through clouds and use many of the more advanced systems as well.

Some of the included systems are very advanced, so i can provide samples from Particle Dynamic Magic for the use outside the weather system. For example there is a complete painting, propagation, advanced collisions system that handles the spreaded/ melting ice in winter, but can be used for any other application and is a very general purpose module.

Same goes for Turbulence and attractors systems, these require some extra effort to learn how to use, but can definitly make a lot of difference if special effects are needed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Version 1.6 has been submitted to the store and should be up next week. This version bring a lot of performance controls and optimizations for volumetric clouds and fixes a few issues when individual systems are removed from the system.

There are also two extra prefabs provided, that include only the sky manager and rendering (skybox and skydome varieties), for a base if there rest of the weather etc are not required to use.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more samples from the Unity 5 new demo

The plan is to have the clouds fully controllable and recreated on demand in various formations, even during the airplane flight

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The airplane and simple controls have now been implemented in the new demo. I will be working on the gameplay and details now, plus the controls for cloud formations and motion.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A list of the plans after version 1.6 (submitted and should be up this week)

- New Airplane Demo, that will showcase all the possibilities with clouds, haze and sky rendering. Clouds will be fully adjustable and support all motion modes. This mini game demo will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - Volumetric haze with scatter shading as image effect
    - Shader based cloud dome
    - Shadows, rain and lighting from volumetric clouds (rain will be a single system spread on the clouds)
    - New cloud shaping mode(s) that will allow local accumulation and transfer between clouds, for even more spectacular motion and dramatic effects
    - New ULTIMATE Weather script, that will offer precise control and scheduling of weather - storm - rain fronts, by extending on the current weather/seasons base and will also include advanced volumetric cloud control. This module will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - New ULTIMATE Decal system, that will enable real time growth and melt of snow and much more. This module will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - New ULTIMATE Weather Effects, special water effects, detailed rain, rain splash effects on screen, tornado storm affecting clouds in real time and much more. This extended effect library will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    superwendel likes this.
  26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more uses of the incredible Unity 5 effect, the atmosphere possible is beyond description.

Image effects are such a huge thing to have available :)

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The first version of the flight controls has been done for the mini game and i will be using Toon Effects Maker and Particle Dynamic Magic for the missile effects and explosions, which is the next in the WIP

An image effect for the scatter fog is also in the works, ideally this will combine the sun shafts and global fog with the scatter shader in a single module.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I am working on an idea for the new ULTIMATE Weather Control module, i would love to have feedback on it.

The plan is to allow the user to save a state of the weather, mainly the sky settings, volumetric cloud settings and weather and lerp to it on demand and in various combinations (for example lerp only the sun setting, time of day or cloud status).

Feedback on how usefull that would be for everyone is welcome, so i can give it a priority rating easier.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I have made an APK Android demo and is available for everyone that would like to test the sky + volumetric clouds + scatter fog terrain. I can send the link to dropbox upon request.

Note that the terrain mesh i use is from the desktop version (but is low poly on general). Also there is rain enabled in the scene.

The pic above has the GUI enabled on PC, i cut it for mobile since it takes a lot of draw calls. I can also produce a demo with the GUI for testing every effect (some are heavy for mobile though).

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Dynamic decal system for Sky Master.

The system allows the total control of decals, surface conformation and follow, ice/snow local melt and much more. Decals will require only one draw call per material.

The final system will integrate the decal system to the snow/rain particles (maybe to the lightning as well, to burn the ground on hit etc)

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Dynamic snow decal system

Snow spread across any surface in real time or can be pre painted in editor. Fully meltable snow pathces that can be any shape. Extra scripting per item can also be used to further refine snow cast, shaping and orientation per case. Normals are followed on the spray point of impact, using particle collisions.

The system will tie to the snow storm for a complete solution. Also will be combined with a splat painting system i am working on for the underlying terrain texturing.

These systems will combine to provide a full snow solution that will have snow patches gradully grow on terrain with splat map and thicker snow patches on all surfaces, that will be meltable and appear to grow.

This way snow will seem to grow locally and far away the terrain patches will act as snow LOD form.

Both systems are in a very advanced state and need snow specific refinement and integration to the blizzard system.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The snow system is progressing well and there will also be an option to use together with InfiniTREE system for infinite LODed snow patches and patch grouping AI.

This will allow snow to remain on the map for any ammount of time and still be able to melt dynamically on spray with fire.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some pics of the WIP with the one draw call real volumetric particle clouds, for the new Unity 5 flight demo / mini game.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

Dual Skies - same scene - Unity 5
    upload_2015-4-8_19-53-58.png

Working with dual skies in the same scene. The two systems are working great together and it is easy to transition the camera from one (inside the dome) to the other (outside the dome) in a single scene.

The day cycles can work independetly and needs some tweaking with scaling etc. The pics are from the dual skies, in various phases. Each sky can be at any state and cycle speed and even have all clouds, weather etc independently, with some tweaking/scaling.

The actual sun light is the only issue that needs further automation, for example the skybox sunlight should be eliminated automatically once in the skydome and enabled again when outside etc. This is a per game thing, but i will try to offer an automated solution in the next update, together with a full dual - single scene sky demo.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more of the WIP with HorizON integration (Unity 5). I will be using the new shaders the developer sent that fit Unity 5 best and post the new results.

Also i will probably include a small script to change the ground tint based on time of day for HorizON users in the next update.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Features planned for the pack (updated list):

- New Airplane Demo, that will showcase all the possibilities with clouds, haze and sky rendering. Clouds will be fully adjustable and support all motion modes. This mini game demo will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - Volumetric haze with scatter shading as image effect
    - Shader based cloud dome
    - Shadows, rain and lighting from volumetric clouds (rain will be a single system spread on the clouds)
    - New cloud shaping mode(s) that will allow local accumulation and transfer between clouds, for even more spectacular motion and dramatic effects
    - New ULTIMATE Weather script, that will offer precise control and scheduling of weather - storm - rain fronts, by extending on the current weather/seasons base and will also include advanced volumetric cloud control. This module will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - New ULTIMATE Decal system, that will enable real time growth and melt of snow and much more. This module will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master. The system will also allow the growth of flowers/grass directly on Unity terrains and create snow patches as well with splat textures.
    - New ULTIMATE Weather Effects, special water effects, detailed rain, rain splash effects on screen, tornado storm affecting clouds in real time and much more. This extended effect library will be available in the ULTIMATE version of sky master.
    - Options for Dual sun and dual sky master systems on the same scene (usefull for portal effects and emulating a world within another one)
    - Prefab manager addition, with as many prefab options as possible and the individual systems independently provided.
    - Extra details and modes in lightning

The system is SM2.0 for ultimate compatibility and also works with orthographic camera, so the plan is to also offer a 2D or 2.5D sample scene as well. Probably the airplane mini game can be adapted for a 2.5D scenario as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP of the new demo (Unity 5). Options for alien skies. Also working on filtered sky shader extensions to add even more options for alien looking skies.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some more work on the mood machine system for the new automatic sky setup editor.

The system will enable simple setup of sky ranging from uber realistic sky coloration to alien skies and everything in between

Many presets have already been added and the goal is to have a big library of ready to implement moods that will cover every need, ideally with a preview system to see the whole day cycle span directly.

41. mathias234

mathias234

Nice progress

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric cloud bed cut through with tornado WIP.

The goal with the new system will be to provide a way to both register and load pre-made presets that will apply to the sky, clouds and weather.

Also this will include a library with a lot of the new advanced effects, like snow decals, dynamic tornado and cloud bed combination etc easilly accessible for instantiation in the scene and connection to the main system.

This new system will also offer a way to control cloud and weather fronts based on season etc and program weather with precision. It will build on the on demand weather transitions already included in the pack.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

Shadows on smoke from directional light (can be extended later to do point lights as well)

Colored shadows on transparent particles

UPDATE:

I have recently managed to create a system to cast/receieve shadows from particles. This is an aproximation technique, but gets the job done and has many options.

This system was made for Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0, but seems like a good fit to also include in Sky Master.

What do you think of the effect WIP ? Shadows can be completly controllable (color, transparency, ambience etc) and are fully cast in real time.

***** Please if possible, remember to leave a review that will help the pack grow & get all the cool new features faster ! *****
    ***** Thanks a lot for all the support in advance :) ! *****​

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new image effect for atmospheric scattering fog is almost ready and will release soon

Also i plan to release a new .unitypackage with all prefabs pre-made for Unity 5, so there is no need to change material and do the steps required to port Unity 4 prefabs for Unity 5.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

A question to all customers of the pack.

Would you like to see the next version remain Unity 4 compatible, or should i release for Unity 5 ?

The new Weather ULTIMATE system (precision weather scheduling) will be a lot better if it is using the full range of Unity 5 capabilities, like the new upcoming atmospheric scattering image effect etc

Of course the current version will function properly under Unity 4, this will be for future releases.

Any input will be appreciated, since keeping the system for two versions is increasingly more complex and holds some of the possible functionality back.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the scatter fog image effect and new shader based cloud dome for higher clouds. This new cloud system will complement the volumetric cloud system (which is used for lower clouds) perfectly and complete the system.

The new ULTIMATE Weather module will control both systems based on season and scheduled weather events.

47. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I would be inclined to make the latest version support only Unity 5 if it makes it better. With unity free and pro now having the same features in unity 5 it is pretty clear that long term unity expects most people to keep updating unity to the latest version.

Isn't there a way of defining what the latest version that supports unity 4 is anyway so they can still download it if they are forced to stay on unity 4 ?

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am considering going Unity 5 only, since the new image effect modes will probably create a lot of confusion for users and even more versions of the sky possibilities, while ideally this should all converge in a single prefab.

I think there is a separate Unity 5 upload, so the last Unity 4 version should be kept, but I am not 100% sure. The question is whether i should create the new Weather scheduler and cloud dome for Unity 5 only, or do something that will work on both Unity 4 and 5, with some added complexity in the scripts to handle the image effects based on free/Pro version.

I will start working on the higher level weather system in Unity 4 and maybe i keep two versions of the script, one for each Unity version.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE has been submitted for Unity 5 natively. This version will work with Unity 5 right away and has some fixes in a few shaders to look best in Unity 5 and solve some sorting issues.

The new submission has to pass review and will be up next week.

Everyone that would like to have that new Unity 5 version immediately,
    please email me with the invoice and i will send a link to the new Unity 5 native pack .

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Scatter fog image effect for Sky Master v1.7 WIP

UPDATE:

The new scatter fog image effect for Unity 5 version of Sky Master ULTIMATE is almost done and in the polishing stages. Also will be integarted with the day cycle and seasons.

This system will come along the dynamic shader based cloud dome in Sky Master ULTIMATE v1.7