Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics [HDRP-UPR ✅] Sky Master ULTIMATE-Physical skybox-Volume clouds-Weather FX-Ocean-Realtime GI-Mobile

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volume clouds in dusk time

red2blue likes this.
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on soft shadows system for Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0. The system ties with the new volume clouds, the volumetric lighting and the shadowing system of the new clouds.

red2blue likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on volume clouds
    (InfiniGRASS v2.0 on the foliage creation & optimization)

red2blue likes this.
  4. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the fly through mode for the v4.x clouds. This mode may come in v4.0 or soon after the initial release in v4.x cycle.

The initial focus is on delivering the extreme performance mode first for v4.0, which is now very close to completion (mainly doing some GUI and setup work, all core items are done, like shadows, local lighting, ground shadows, volume light integration etc).

red2blue likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

6. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Nasos the performance of the new infinicloud system seems really good. Can it produce lighter clouds that produce less dark shadows as well though or only thick shadows like with storm clouds ? When are you planning to update the skymaster package version on the store as from the demo it looks ready to go. Even if there are a few bugs in it you could just include an optional beta package so people could test it.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Both the shadows and cloud coloration is 100% adjustable now, i just have not implemented the full spectrum of controls in the custom soft shadows yet, but is already possible to play with various settings to soften and lighten them at edges and of course since is custom in v4.x cycle i will add total control over the effect, with colored shadows etc

The clouds themselves are adjustable in lower and higher altitude, so can be made as light or heavy as needed and coloration is also fully adjustable, e.g. some lighter coloration in pics i posted above. There is also image based control with various settings and local lighting (e.g. spot light)

The system is 100% ready in core, so there is no bugs etc, but it has so many functionalities and i try to automate everything for easiest setup (e.g. back layer, reflections, shadows etc). I hope to move it Beta very soon.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity 2017 issue with water WIP & Solution

It recently came to my attention that water may not appear in some Unity 2017 configurations, after importing from either Unity 5.6 project (store one) or the new 2018 project (available in Google Drive).

The reason is a Unity bug that destroyed the UV information upon import on the default water planes. The solution is to erase the source plane and recreate it using the included plane generator.

The procedure is:

1. erase the bugged Plane127x127W0.01H0.01.asset from the SkyMaster -> Assets -> WaterPlanes folder

2. re-create the plane (using the settings of picture 1) using the GameObject -> Create Other -> Custom Plane system included in Sky Master

3. replace it in the water planes in the prefab, after dragging it to an empty scene (picture 2, click on MeshFilter box -> Mesh after selecting all four water planes and choose the newly created plane)

Then Apply the prefab to save the change, so it will apply every time it is dragged to the scene. This is also a small tutorial on how to customize the water planes and apply them on the prefab.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on volume clouds & reflection setup automation (InfiniGRASS v2.0 on the foliage creation & optimization)

HXCMAN, Lohrion and red2blue like this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniCLOUD setup WIP for Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0

The setup handles the following aspects:
    - Base clouds setup with texture based shaping & wind
    - Shadows dome generation and setup
    - Backlayer rendering setup (for moon, sky etc)
    - Water reflections setup and optimization
    - Lightning setup for storms, using the Local light system
    - Local light setup
    - Special FX setup (not yet fully implemented - WIP)

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

red2blue and Lohrion like this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Guide to using parts of Sky Master ULTIMATE as standalone, starting from the main prefab.

Standalone use of Volumetric Fog, Volumetric Lighting and Time of Day.

I attach a file with a sample scene with the items needed to get the effects work individually and also a pic (pic 1) showing what to disable to get this scene when starting from the prefab that has it all included. Also i attach a pic (pic 2) which shows where to completely stop the TOD cycling if needed. And two pics (pics 3-4) showing the resulting scene with various heights of fog (which can be regulated in the camera image effect).

Also i attach a pic (pic 5) without Sky Master, the ms taken is 0.9ms, which means all the Sky Master effects and TOD cycle takes up around 0.5ms, with multiple image effects active (color correction, tome mapping etc) that are not all needed (depends on artistic style etc)

The guide will be included in the final v4.0 manual (WIP)

Attached Files:

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Shadow parameters note

It came to my attention that one of the shadow settings default in the Sun light of the system, may require tweaking to work best at different world scales than my demos.

I attach a picture that shows the variables (in bold) to change to get the best result for smaller distance shadowing.

The default will be further tweaked for a middle solution in the next version (WIP), plus a customizable soft shadows system will enable much more control over Unity shadows system (WIP).

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Comet burning through the Volumetric Clouds demo using Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 (WIP)

And a few more videos with clouds manipulation:

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Soft shadows WIP and testing with varying intensity of volumetric light

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniCLOUD WIP,
    on automations of coloration and other special FX modes​

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

Note on the Night time for the new InfiniCLOUD Beta

The night time has an issue where the stars and moon may appear behind the clouds, even when the Back Layer system is properly setup (but show less than without the system).

The issue is solved by increasing the "Far Dist" variable in the volume clouds script. I attach two pics for reference.

The system will auto regulate the transparency for the night time case, or apply a variable independent of the view distance (WIP - TBD how will be handled), in the next Beta upgrade.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

IMPORTANT: Install for Unity 2018

The upgrade is included in a Unity 2018 folder, and must be installed either after the initial install of the package if Unity 2018 is used, or can be used as standalone for the minimal project size, if needed.

To install, double click the file: SkyMaster -> UNITY 2018 and WIP -> UNITY 2018 INSTALL -> SkyMaster ULTIMATE v4.1c Barebone Unity2018.1.0f1

The Beta versions of infiniCLOUD and optimized SEGI are now also available in the Beta folder. InfiniCLOUD Beta is in full optimization & production quality and requires only a few extra trivial functionalities to finalize (e.g. update lightning and local lights applied to the main script, in water reflection script etc)

Beta WIP Demo of the InfiniCLOUD system:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OfuJK920JuHDnvu8mtgdt_rtbt9c7PbL

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Note on Sky Master ULTIMATE and InfiniGRASS in Unity 2018, errors when building project

It came to my attention that in Unity 2018 there was an issue when building the project with some of the shaders.

The errors can be fixed using the following changes and pressing on the error (double click) to move to the
    error spot in the shader (so not search for the line manually)

If the error mentions _Shadowcoords, add in the #pragma definitions (may be in more than one spots) the following:
    #pragma multi_compile_fwdbase nolightmap //v4.1

If the error mentions unexpected token ";", change the "float attenuation" line in the below lines, with the UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION function and comment out the "float attenuation" line:
    //float attenuation = LIGHT_ATTENUATION(i);
    UNITY_LIGHT_ATTENUATION(attenuation, i, i.posWorld.xyz);

I will post updates to the store and Google Drive downloads too asap, with the fixes included.

twobob likes this.
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE for UNITY 2018.2, FULL RELEASE (v4.2a)

The native Unity 2018.2 version of the system with all fixes (e.f. build crashes due to Legacy Particle components etc), updates and new features (including the cascade SEGI optimization) is now ready for Google Drive download !!!

Let me know in PM and i will send a link asap. Also i will submit it to the store tomorrow so would be up sometime next week.

The Barebone version is now integrated in the system and the extra demos and their assets are separated in the EXTRA DEMO ASSETS folders inside Gi Proxy and SkyMaster folders (check the README file for details), thus can be easilly removed if need to save space in the project and there is no need for the extra demos.

The latest v4.0 clouds are also now integrated and demos and a new prefab are included (also demo for mobile).

twobob likes this.
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video of the new water and effects for Sky Master next big upgrade.

superwendel and twobob like this.
  22. twobob

twobob

love it.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have just managed to pass the interface bertween water and air system to the GPU and is now super fast and much more precise as well, i will post a video soon. It is very cool to have the image effects applied exactly below the wave line, some of the development time has been just admiring the effect :)

twobob likes this.
  24. twobob

twobob

TBH mate as you probably know I am stuck back in 5.6.6 land. If this was compat with that then awesome. But looking forward to checking it out either way one day.

2018 is way too shakey to be useful for me

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am developing it in Unity 2018.2, but i could easily backport to Unity 5.6 as well and post it, when 2018 is done. I dont use anything Unity 2018 specific, the main reason i moved were the million issues coming up from the Legacy particle changes and other deprecations, not for the 2018 features. If it was not for the deprecations i would have stayed (and prefered to) to Unity 5.6 forever :), but Unity forced the deprecations now by producing errors when going to 2018, so it was no longer possible to go with 5.6 unfortunately.

But the scripts and shader will be portable to Unity 5.6, so when all is done, i will make sure to backport as well

twobob likes this.
  26. twobob

twobob

AWESOME - OMG I LOVE YOU

nasos_333 likes this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Video of the new water and effects for Sky Master next big upgrade.

twobob likes this.
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master next upgrade will get the brand new ocean, with boat like emulation and new waves, shading and air-water interfacing for many cool effects. I attach a video from the current WIP

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

New cutting edge water for the next Sky Master big upgrade (WIP).

Added volumetric sun shafts and shadowing in the air-water interfacing effect (where volumetric & distortion effects appear only underwater, below the water-air interface line).

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Further volumetric sun shafts, fogging and shadowing in the air-water interfacing effect (where volumetric & distortion effects appear only underwater, below the water-air interface line).

Deckard_89 likes this.
  31. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Nasos

The new waves look really good. How large an area of water can you cover with them. Would they be suitable for an infinite ocean plane for example ?

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Ian

Yes the water is infinite

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on volumetric sun shafts, fogging and shadowing in the air-water interfacing effect.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

New cutting edge Volumetric Water
    Refraction in water-air interface line WIP

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Volumetric Water for Sky Master (http://u3d.as/agN) next big upgrade.

Refraction line detail & bubbles with particle masking to contain them under surface WIP.

Lohrion likes this.
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Reflections and Refraction line detail & bubbles with particle masking to contain them under surface WIP.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric Volcano WIP

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Volumetric Water for Sky Master (http://u3d.as/agN) next big upgrade
    Reflections and Refraction line detail & bubbles with particle masking to contain them under surface WIP.

schala and Deckard_89 like this.
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

Latest update on the new water, i added subtle bump mapping and blur to the refraction line between water and air

40. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi Nasos the new water looks really good. when are you planning to release the update with the new water ?

nasos_333 likes this.
  41. nasos_333

nasos_333

I hope later this month, the base is ready and works great, but there is few things like shorelines etc to handle still.

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

GPU based volumetric effects, Refraction line detail & bubbles with particle masking to contain them under surface - WIP.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

Issue with UNITY 2018.3

It has come to mhy attention that the system produces an error in Unity 2018.3

"Assets/SkyMaster/Scripts/V3.5 Scripts/Fix Unity2018 LegacyParticles/Editor/Legacy_Particle_System_UpdaterSM.cs(63,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ParticleEmitter' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

This is due to the converter for the old Legacy particle system that is now obsolete in Unity 2018.3, thus the error is directly solved by deleting the "Legacy_Particle_System_UpdaterSM.cs" script, which no longer has any use.

I have uploaded a new version of Sky Master ULTIMATE as well (v4.6) to the store and will be up soon.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

GPU based volumetric effects, Refraction line detail & bubbles with particle masking to contain them under surface - WIP.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Boat dynamics WIP

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  46. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looks great. I'm looking for an replacement for the UWS asset. I use also trueSKY, so I don't need another weather system. Any chance to see the Volumetric Water System as a standalone asset?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Yes, i plan to release as standalone as well

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

New water performance test in combination with Sky Master ULTIMATE cutting edge cloud system (InfiniCLOUD). Video grabbed from phone.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Water WIP

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric Clouds Fly Through WIP