Search Unity

Graphics [HDRP-UPR ✅] Sky Master ULTIMATE-Physical skybox-Volume clouds-Weather FX-Ocean-Realtime GI-Mobile

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by nasos_333, Nov 1, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the new full volumetric cloud system (InfiniGRASS v2.0 used in foliage)

The clouds blend seamlessly with the other volumetric modes (volume gradient fog and volumetic lighting modules)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    toto2003 likes this.
  2. umauj

umauj

Very impressive results indeed! Well done!

I tried to find some extensive performance metrics in this thread, but could only find a couple of fps stats. Could you please give some performance benchmarks? How many ms on CPU, how many on GPU? Memory? Drawcalls? Bandwidth requirements? Gpu memory?

nasos_333 and toto2003 like this.
  3. toto2003

toto2003

so i test the lighting system but for some reason the scattering work in the editor but stop working when i press play. any idea? i m on the latest unity 5.6.1

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, i am currently relocating and did not have time to get back sooner. I am not sure why this may happen, one idea is that Unity 5.4+ has an issue with big item shadows (the clouds shaodw layer, Clouds (108) object) which may not cast shadows correctly.

I have a patched Unity version (v3.4.8) available to try that has a demo scene where i use a dome to do the shadows, which can be less in scale too. Also has a few changes in how volume light is initialized, so you may send me a PM with the invoice to send the latest version and see if this one fixes the issue

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I plan to release this demo soon, i am relocating currently and i had to delay this a few days, though i will soon have more time and make the release as soon as possible, so can try the demo first hand.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the new full volumetric cloud system (InfiniGRASS v2.0 used in foliage)

The clouds blend seamlessly with the other volumetric modes (volume gradient fog and volumetic lighting modules)

toto2003 likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

The WIP on v3.4.8 is almost done, only a few testing remains and the system will soon be available in Google Drive Download

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4.8
    - Fixed issue where maxnighttime variable was not applied to sun-moon change time (for non lat/lon system transitions)
    - Added maxnightangle for regulating sun-moon transition in sky shader in latitude/lngitude system
    - added support for in game instantiation of camera, in SeasonalTERRAINSKYMASTER and WaterHandlerSM scripts.
    - Changed tree materials grab to produce less GC allocation in SeasonalTerrainSKYMASTER script
    - Fixed issue where volumetric lighting would flicker under some conditions at game start
    - Add demo with new water blur and new dome shadows, to overcome Unity 5.6 shadowing bugs
    - Changed +0.1 offset in Shader Clouds script to happen only in editor time
    - Added weather Randomizer and Timer scripts (attach to SkyMasterManager script object)
    - Fixed issue with RTP latest version
    - Added local lighting to base cloud shader for better lightning effects
    - Added extra lerp in water script for ReflColor variable for smoother transitions

Also v3.4.8 will have a Unity 5.4+ version available, that will use only Shuriken particles (done away with all Legacy ones) and has integrated code that removes all Unity 5.4 warnings.

toto2003 likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE of WIP:

I had a request for cleaning up the project for Unity v2017, so i am now preparing a version native to 2017 as well, for everyone that may need it. I will upload all 3 new versions soon.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

New volumetric clouds system

UPDATE of WIP:

The project is now 100% Unity 5.6 and Unity 2017 Beta compatible, i am doing a few final tests and will upload all versions in Google Drive download today or tomorrow the latest.

There will be a few warnings left, due to the converter from Legacy to Shuriken particles, this is only one function in one script, so is super easy to just remove to eliminate all warnings. These will also go away in the version when Unity actually removes the Legacy particles.

After the versions are uploaded, i will resume work in the new full volume clouds for v4.0 (pics above) and code clean up for v3.5.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    red2blue likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE on WIP:

I have now finished the Unity 5.6 conversion and all warnings are handled, plus did some restructuring of folders so is much easier to erase the demo stuff now and keep a fully functional version.

I have also added a new prefab that has all v3.4 features enabled (new clouds, volumetric lighting etc), making it simpler to setup a scene with the new v3.4 features without going to the Configurator for actvating them.

Plus many more smaller fixes and additions (many related to new handling of depth buffer in Unity 5.6), there have been a lot of changes and additions, so the Unity 5.6 version will be called v3.4.9 and will come to the store soon after i upload v3.4.8 for Unity 5.3.2f1

A full list of changes will be posted soon as well

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update on WIP

The latest version v3.4.8 has been submitted to the store for review, this is the last Unity 5.3.2f1 based version and the next will be Unity 5.6 native.

The Unity 5.6 version (v3.4.9) will be submitted soon after the review process is done for v3.4.8

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4.8

- Fixed issue where maxnighttime variable was not applied to sun-moon change time (for non lat/lon system transitions)
    - Added maxnightangle for regulating sun-moon transition in sky shader in latitude/lngitude system
    - added support for in game instantiation of camera, in SeasonalTERRAINSKYMASTER and WaterHandlerSM scripts.
    - Changed tree materials grab to produce less GC allocation in SeasonalTerrainSKYMASTER script
    - Fixed issue where volumetric lighting would flicker under some conditions at game start
    - Add demo with new water blur and dome shadows sample
    - Changed +0.1 offset in Shader Clouds script to happen only in editor time, so cloud changes in real time are smoother
    - Added weather Randomizer and precision Timer scripts (attach to SkyMasterManager script object)
    - Fixed issue with RTP latest version(added zip file with script for latest version)
    - Added local lighting support (for lightning etc) to base cloud shader
    - Added extra lerp in water script for ReflColor variable to better support smooth changes in the new auto weather script
    - Removed wrong reference in new demo rain
    - Disabled DX11 blur effect by default (let effect on camera), as it caused a stability issue with my laptop hardware (same did not happen in my desktop)
    - added new v3.4 based prefab (with volume lighting and new shader based volume clouds)

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update on WIP

The latest version v3.4.8 is now on the store.

The WIP is now on Unity 5.6 native version (v3.4.9), which will be for Unity 5.6+ Unity version. This new version handles all issues with Unity 5.6 and is now almost done and tested, there is also a restructuring of folders so demo files are much easier to handle and the Legacy particles are also removed.

There is also removal of any helper scripts in javascript, so the system is future proof (for when Unity does away with javascripts and Legacy particles)

The new version will be up on the store after all testing is concluded and a few more issues i got as feedback recently are addressed.

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the new volume clouds system, Time of Day lighting with dynamic scattering & lighting depending on sun position.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

New breakthrough for the Volumetric Cloud System, i have managed to eliminate completely the halo effect in the interface of clouds and scene objects (visible when clouds are darker-thicker and in higher contrast). This was caused due to the downsampling used to increase performance. Now downsampling of any amount can be used with zero halo effect.

This was the last major in the to do list, now i will be refining the lighting (e.g. dusk - dawn etc) and i hope to have a Beta soon.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Next breakthrough in the new volume clouds WIP, the clouds can now be reflected in water, this required special handling in the reflection script to composite the effect, since it needed both a different camera handling and different heights to best blend with everything else, so i added a wide variety of options to control the heights and blending individually.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of the work in progress on the new volumetric clouds, reflections and further optimizations that allow even more detail to be active at each frame.

red2blue likes this.
  17. nasos_333

nasos_333

Work in progress on the new volumetric clouds, local lighting for effects like lightning.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Work in progress on the new volumetric clouds and combination with InfiniGRASS v2.0 and atmospheric effects

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP notes on Unity 5.6 version (v3.4.9)

A note on the mention of the new prefab (v3.4) in the new manual.

If the store version is used (v3.4.8), the new v3.4 Prefab (for direct setup on scene) has a bit different name (the name in manual is in the latest Unity 5.6 native version, downloadable in Google Drive on PM request).

The new prefab's name is "SKY MASTER v3.4 Prefab - All systems Pre v3.4.9", to separate it when an upgrade has happened to v3.4.9 (Unity 5.6 native). The name in the manual (and v3.4.9) is “SKY MASTER v3.4 Prefab – All systems Volume Lighting”

It is the same prefab (v3.4 one) but has minor changes for Unity 5.6 version.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP update

Another Unity 5.6 related issue is now handled in the coming v3.4.9, the Volumetric Lighting system did not affect the sky with shadow occlusion, thus beams shadowing might be inactive when looking up, this has now been solved and handled (was due to the reversal of depth buffer range in Unity 5.6)

Also the light beams are working great with the new full volume clouds (WIP)

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

More work in progress on the new full volume clouds and reflection in the Sky Master ULTIMATE water.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

More of the work in progress on the new full volume clouds and their reflection in the Sky Master ULTIMATE water.

The reflection is fully adjustable in color tint and specs, so it can be separately optimized from the actual clouds.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the v4.0 InfiniCLOUD full volumetric clouds system.
    InfiniGRASS v2.0 is used for the vegetation and its optimization.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniCLOUD is now using 3 different performance enhancement systems, for ultimate control over performance needs and requirements. These controls apply on reflections on a separate basis, for even more precise control of performance gains.

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0, InfiniCLOUD system.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 Beta WIP - New water and clouds

The Beta of the new water and clouds is coming early next month and both systems are ready for production and need minor polishing (some options to enable cloud reflections, which are also 100% working, synch with cloud shadowing and minor GUI related enhancements)

Flurgle likes this.
  29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 - GPU particles for hundreds of thousands of particles with minimal cost !!!!

This system will enable the new massive weather effects system in v4.0 and a whole world of new possibilities.

red2blue likes this.
  30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 - GPU particles for hundreds of thousands of particles with minimal cost !!!!
    This system will enable the new massive weather effects system in v4.0 and a whole world of new possibilities.

UPDATE on GPU Particle Fields system:
    I have now enabled GPU instancing in the system and can do 1 million particles with ease. I expect to optimize it much more as well. Snowstorms will soon be like the real thing :).

Also i plan to integrate it with the terrain depth rendering system for advanced collisions and accumulations or other cool effects.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Knightmore likes this.
  31. Ruben_Ampelmann

Ruben_Ampelmann

nasos, Is there a guide how to setup a VR ready scene for HTC Vive/ Windows MR (Not realy mixed but just VR)? Or is the cardboard scene a good base to start?

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have a video showing how it is setup for cardboard, but i have not used the others mentioned so not sure if the exact same will apply, but you can see some main principles if it does (e.g. passing effects to the two cameras and the system controlling them on the cameras than the main one using the terrain-fog controller script)

Cardboard Setup (open the video in Youtube to also check the comments with the full description)

And a demo scene for reference:

And a dual cloud layer tutorial, this should also work for VR (but have not tested it)

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 & InfiniGRASS v2.0 WIP

New cutting edge super optimized volumetric cloud system, with 3 optimization factors.

Full volume cloud Features:
    -Reflections in water,
    -Full volumetric light shafts through the clouds,
    -Cloud shadowing on the ground,
    -Local lighting
    -Lightning

red2blue likes this.
  34. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP in Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0, cutting edge volumetric clouds & lighting.

red2blue likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the new Volumetric Clouds system for v4.0, the system is now 99% ready and should be in Beta soon.

The new volumetric cloud system features:
    - dynamic wind with realistic fluid cloud motion
    - cutting edge lighting from all sun angles (dusk and dawn included, night time from moon)
    - water reflections
    - shadows emulation
    - local lighting for storms and lightning emulation
    - Image based manipulation
    - render back object layer integrated in the solution (e.g. moon, stars, galaxy layers)
    - multiple optimization techniques for ultimate performance

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric clouds WIP for v4.0, the system is almost done, there were a huge number of small details to iron out e.g. in the new extreme optimization mode i had to inject a layer for objects behind clouds like moon and galaxy, this is now done and working great.

Also reflections needed some extra work and shadowing is what is currently i am working on, and have managed to sync a shadow layer with the cloud masking image and so getting closer to final shadows version as well.

red2blue likes this.
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 - Optimied SEGI implementation and integration WIP

I post some pics with the performance gains after optimizing, the Attrium gives 17-18ms before and 6-7 after optimization. This is the general purpose optimization (will work on most cases) and it can be further much optimized depending on various factors.

Also works like a charm with Sky Master ULTIMATE volumetric lighting system, for extra volume in the atmosphere and extra lighting layers.

red2blue likes this.
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on Sky Master ULTIMATE optimized SEGI (dynamic global illumination).

The system will combine perfectly with the Sky Master ULTIMATE volumetric lighting system and the new volumetric clouds, plus i have finalized integration with the InfiniGRASS v2.0 shaders in deferred mode, for complete adaptation and integration of all systems.

red2blue likes this.
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on volumetric clouds for v4.0. Local lighting latest version shown in the video.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on volumetric clouds for v4.0.

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on extreme optimization volumetric clouds for Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0 and combination with InfiniGRASS v2.0.

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on special FX for the new volumetric clouds system

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

v3.4 shader volume clouds (Linear Color Space)

v4.0 new volume clouds (Linear Color Space)

WIP on Linear Color space tweaked demo and combination with the new volume clouds.

44. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

The new clouds look really impressive, when are you planning to release version 4 ? Also can you fly through them or do they disappear when you are higher than them like the previous shader based clouds ?

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Ian,

The first version of the clouds will use special optimization techniques that are possible only when looking the clouds from the ground. Then i plan to have a full volume mode later in v4.x cycle if it makes sense from a performance standpoint, as an extra option.

The system base is now ready, so i expect to have the first beta version very soon.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Update on volume clouds:

The reflections and shadow layer parameters passing and automation is now done. Also finalized the lightning system (will post a video soon)

Remains only a few things like automate the background blending for Galaxy and moon (auto create background camera and assign layers and layer masks) and regulating the coloration at night time for enhanced effect for the moon (will be adjustable to be very bright or mild based on moon intensity and an offset variable).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  47. red2blue

red2blue

Hi,
    looking forward for the new version. One question. Your clouds always look very dark at the bottom side. Is it possible to just create white clouds top and bottom?
    Thanks for all the hard work you put into it!

Cheers!

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Dawn time:

Day time:

Sure the clouds have a very big number of customization parameters to tweak everything, the bottom for example depends on 5 parameters, some are physically dependent, others are tint colors etc

I post a few examples of possible underside colorations with whiter coloration, those are also in normal day time and not dusk or dawn where there is full proper under (and inner) lighting from the sun. Also post one pic when sun is under (dawn) with some artistic coloration possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    red2blue likes this.
  49. red2blue

red2blue

Thanks a lot! Looks really good. Will reinstall when V4 is released! :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sure :), i hope to have it done soon, doing the few final steps for the clouds (currently setup of the backlayer system and then some coloration regulation and should all be done)

red2blue likes this.