Search Unity

SkinTools | Create, modyfy, transfer skinnig in editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by polyflow3d, Jan 4, 2018.

1. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

SkinTools for Unity3d is an powerful editor extension for create and modify skinned meshes.

Edit existing skinned meshes:
    Refine, delete hidden geometry, create Level of Details of already skinned meshes, blur weights, add or remove bones.

Skining transfer(projection):
    Bind clothes to characters, transfer skinning from one character to another in one click. Blur bone weights, exclude undesired bones and mesh parts for perfect result.

Create skinning from scratch:
    Map Bones feature is an simple , powerful, precise, artist-friendly solution for make smooth skinning from scratch. Paint texture mask for each bones in prefered painting software then choise corresponding bones transform in Unity3d. That is all! You can mix transfer skin data and map bones methods .

Non destructive skinning pipline:
    With SkinTool you can continue 3d modeling after skinning stage. Refine model, skinning and rig any time you want, just press one button to generate new one.

Ony, theANMATOR2b and cmckelvy like this.
  2. witcher101

witcher101

assest store link??

3. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

pending review (

4. witcher101

witcher101

Need more information. Does this work during runtime. Does this work on non humonoid char

5. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

1) Any bones systems is supported.

2)This is an editor extension, but full source code is included, so you can delete editor specific functions (such as save the mesh into assets) and use them at runtime.

If runtime API is necessary a lot of customers, i can make it and provide to clients directly
    (for reason that asset store review time may take several weeks
    ) for free, and then include it in following versions.

6. witcher101

witcher101

well if i have multiple clothes for my char is it possible to change clothes at runtime with this tool.

7. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

With SkinTools You can prepare clothes in editor and just enable/disable they at runtime. Also you can make different version of body(hide unvisible parts, make LODs) and switch it at runtime.

In my view runtime skinning are needed if you are import or generate clothes mesh at runtime.

8. witcher101

witcher101

enabling disabling method isnt good since it takes a lot of initial memory especially in mobiles.
    If there is runtime skiining its easy to just change clothes at runtime by skinning to body

9. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

use Resources.Load() to save initial memory

10. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  11. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Think there's a problem with the hyperlink on that url? Copy and pasting works fine but I get errors clicking on it.

Congratulations on getting it out

12. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Thank you! Link fixed!

13. Kubic75

Kubic75

I was very pleased that the developer sent me a demo for first testings in Unity.
    He is absolutely interested to my feedback and willing to improve his product consequently.
    Very nice and kind support!

14. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Watch 1 minute tutorial how to create skinning from skratch using Map Bones.
    1. Draw the textures of the influence of each bone in your preffered painting software.
    2. In Unity create an empty object, add a SkinTools component.
    3. Select the reference geometry object .
    4. Create output mesh in the project to store skinnined mesh .
    5. Add new Map Bones. For each bone, choose the transform and the texture of the effect.
    6. Click the Generate Skinning button!

15. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

Idea#1 about ideas, Export Feuture. has unity somting like that? as assets, think its new. to export entire model as FBX, with the new bones and added masks.

16. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

Idea#2 Submesh suport.so masks can be skined if the mesh has mutiple submeshes. i dont know if this the standard thing do do.

17. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

Idea #3 what about sich it are game objects to have a option as bonus to convert bones or al bonez to Meshes. so just for fun can see bones in games. and have a function to change the bone type for example #1 a realistic bone #2 low poly realistic bone # same bone as you can see in unity but then mesh.

kind Regards
    Daniel

18. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

That's just what I needed the other day. Was using FBXExporter (https://github.com/KellanHiggins/UnityFBXExporter) to get a skinned mesh asset converted to fbx but when I put it back in the skinned mesh renderer's Mesh slot, it had lost all reference to its bones.

Would this asset help with that?

ps. just to echo @Kubic75 's comment. the dev seems super helpful. He also sent me a prerelease version to try out and get feedback. Sadly I haven't had a chance to try it but think I will now. And then buy the asset because this is obviously someone who cares about his users, and deserves the support :)

19. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

yep a Legandary Publiser. and feels skining is the emty place in unity. first jump on it not knowing what it can do, but feels its already and wil be a free aprouch to a 200,- a month 3dsmax or the other stuf. i did big time many riging same model. a big pain to do ears and tail in 3dsmax without bein profesional about it. came to think i now just need mask and can rig in mixamo and then the repetetive thing in unity, its realy helpful, the price is very nice. and hope it gets in loads peeps there workflow. and its actvly worked on, thats 4 times the value easy, seen so much abondom ware on unity store. unity needs this.

20. GoRolyGo

GoRolyGo

sory in advance, but i am on idea spree today

about the intrest in paintng mask from publiser. i say heck, wy not make a asset for it. i personaly been looking for a inside unity mask solution, that way you can have a wider range, and also focus on mask solution, which compatible with skin asset. kinda hot on ideas. but sounds intresting. get 2 flys with one taco! + Legend what mask colours mean, it took me a while to figure. nice bonus i say!

21. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

No, SkinTolls can not fix it. But the loss of references is not a problem. Just set the array of bones to mesh.
    I would like to know the situation in which you need to export the fbx from the Unity?

22. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Well, I can not send people to buy another product instead of improving first product) I think SkinTool needed his own masks painting tool without using other programs.

About your ideas
    1) there is no plan to add saving to fbx.
    2) sub-meshes are supported now
    3) Visual bones it sounds fun, but I doubt it's really needed.

23. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Admittedly it was a bit of a hacky workaround for a buggy mesh decimation asset (MeshSimplify) It kept losing its own internal reference to the simplified mesh it was creating, so exporting to fbx was just a way of getting a safe copy of the simplified geometry and then re-importing that. Thankfully all's now sorted

24. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Here is an editor script for saving any mesh from the MeshFilter / SkinnedMeshRenderer in Assets and linking to it.
    Right-click the MeshFilter or SkinnedMeshRenderer components on the inspector, then select "Save mesh to Assets"