Search Unity

Skinned mesh rendering black - seems like limit on # of materials?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Harrison_Hough, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I am having a problem with the rendering of a skinned game character. Parts render as black. It seems like theres a limit on number of materials. This is in the hololens Emulator not the actual headset. (headset hasn't arrived yet).

I tried changing from unity standard shaders to mobile diffuse ones but it made no difference. The character uses 7 different materials but only some of them are rendering. If i assign 1 material for everything then it all renders fine. I have also tried adjusting the quality settings to fantastic but it didnt do anything.

To solve this I will likely just merge the textures into one map so i can use less materials .
    BUT I'm just curious if anybody knows wether its a hard limit on number of materials or whether theres something I can do to allow more. I can't seem to find anything about it in the documentation.

Below are pictures of what I am talking about.

2-Materials.PNG 7-Materials.PNG

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are there any errors in the console? Does it render correctly in the editor?

3. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

Yes it renders perfectly in the Unity editor no errors in the console.

It only happens when I am running it in visual studio after building for the windows store and running it with the Hololens Emulator.

4. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

I did some more tests and instead of 6 different textured materials i used 6 untextured ones and that rendered correctly.

The textures I am using for the character are 8K each (normals and diffuse). So could it be that the textures are too high res or something?

5. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

So I set the 12 or so textures to 2k instead of 8K and it renders now.
    Looks like to increase performance it limits how many/high res the textures are??

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you try running it on local machine instead of emulator? I wonder if it reproduces there too - it might have something to do with the emulator. If it reproduces when the VS project is run on your local machine too, we'd like a bug report.

7. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

So I couldnt get it to run in VS on local machine it comes up with a "needs to be deployed" error and also a "registration of the app failed" error. It only runs in VS with the emulator.

So did you mean a Unity bug report?

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah. Unity bug report.

9. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

Okay so I am submitting a Unity bug report now with the same title as this thread.
    I also built the solution for PC (not windows store) and ran it just to check and the shaders run perfectly like that with 8K textures.