Search Unity

Skinned Mesh Renderer quality

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Gnimmel, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I'm trying to figure out the best way to optimize skinned characters and after reading the docs on the Skinned Mesh Renderer (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-SkinnedMeshRenderer.html) I have a quick question.

I was always under the impression that the more bones that influence a vert, the slower it is to calculate the deformation so keep as many verts down to 1 or 2 influences as possible.

However, now I've re-read the docs, it seems the quality setting sets the performance cost, not necessarily the actual number of influences per vert.

By this I mean, if a skinned mesh has all influences set to 1 bone, except 1 vert that has 4 bones, its quality setting needs to be 4 bones for that single vert. Does that slow all the other verts down as well, in which case they may as well all have 4 bones influence them, or is it still better to keep as few influences as possible even with the quality set to 4?

If it makes a difference, I'm looking at a quest VR game.

2. 00christian00

00christian00

For my experience unless you have a huge amount of characters it doesn't make sense. Even the cheapest of mobiles phones will barely see any difference, I guess with PC is even more of a no issue.
    I don't know how Unity handles it internally, but I think this set only the maximum of influences the skin can use, and won't use 4 for each skin even when not present.
    If you set 1 bone on a 4 bone influences skin, Unity will simply ignore the remaining three making the animation looks strange.