Search Unity

Skinned mesh Child follows its parent animation but with a delay

Discussion in 'Animation' started by manutoo, Feb 8, 2015.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

I have a skinned mesh character with a helmet using a mesh renderer attached to it.
    When nothing moves, everything is alright and correctly placed.
    When animated, the helmet position is 1 frame early (or maybe 2), before the head.
    If I pause the game, using time.timeScale = 0, then the helmet comes back on the head.
    If I pause using the editor pause button, the helmet stays misplaced.
    Result is same either the character uses generic or humanoid rig.

I have tons of character with weapons or armor elements using mesh renderer and they are not positioned 1 frame early.
    I checked everything and this model has nothing special, except it's sitting on an animated dragon, so I guess the issue comes from there. The skinmesh animation is maybe calculated with the previous frame root position from the moving dragon, while the helmet is calculated with the current root position ?

I use Unity 4.6.1p3.

Anyone could shed some light on this matter, and maybe have an idea for a work-around ? Or maybe it's an Unity bug ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

2. manutoo

manutoo

* Bump *

I'm thinking about filling a bug report, but as it might take me an hour to create the test project for it, I'd like first to be sure it'll be useful..? (ie: I'd like to know if it's not a bug that has already been reported & fixed in Unity 5)

3. solarflare_s

solarflare_s

did u ever get a fix for this?
    I have the same problem, but when trying to capture frame sequences, looks great in game view, but the child objects are ahead of the animation in the frame sequences.

4. manutoo

manutoo

Sorry, I forgot the details, but it's working correctly in the final version and I didn't attach any script to the model, so I guess I didn't do any workaround and the bug had been fixed in Unity 5.