Search Unity

Skinn Pro & Free - Skin & Blendshape Projection + Much More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cwmanley, Feb 15, 2017.

1. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

What is the confusion part? The secretanorak patreon is only related because this asset is compatible with uma. Sorry about the lack of tutorials. I hope to have some good videos before the package is out of beta. Is there anything I can help you with in the meantime?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. cwmanley

cwmanley

The Delta Canvas can be used for mesh deformation as well as blend-shapes.

Here is a quick demonstration of using the Delta Canvas with the Vertex Mapper.

The pop-ups do not show up in my screen recorder and the mouse position is off a bit.

tapawafo likes this.
  3. cwmanley

cwmanley

In 0.52+ we will be able to work directly with UMA slots.

UMA intergration.PNG

Mark_01, twobob, tapawafo and 2 others like this.
  4. Duffer123

Duffer123

@cwmanley ,

Is that able to edit dimensions on Uma characters not just on the head?

How much can this Asset help with fitting unskinned mesh armour to Uma models turning it in to skinned mesh?

5. cwmanley

cwmanley

Yes, but I am having trouble with some of the uma example source files. It may require some extra steps.

It should help a lot depending on the armor and what you skin to. You can mix and match whatever you have and choose which bones to skin.

chan.png

Thanks

Duffer123 likes this.
  6. Duffer123

Duffer123

@cwmanley ,

Looking v seriously at this Asset still but really want to know what it can do. So, a couple of questions:-

1. Are there any YouTube tutorials?

2. If I take say a base unclothed male or female rigged model in T position and already imported in to Unity, and I then have say a hairpiece obj mesh or fbx mesh or indeed say a t-shirt or trousers fbx or obj static mesh, (a) can this Asset help me skin those meshes to the base rigged model mesh, (b) how, (c) can I then export just the skinned mesh hairpiece, t-shirt or trousers out as well for future use with the base rigged character, and (d) how?

3. With that same base rigged model, can I create custom blend shapes not just over the face but for all body parts? How?

4. Has this Asset been used with Manuel Bastioni characters imported from Blender?

5. Are you planning future enhancements or developments with this Asset? What?

6. Is this latest Uma 2 compatible?

Thanks in advance if you can answer these questions!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

1. There are only a few demo videos currently. The Vertex mapper uses a simple linear workflow.

2. The Vertex Mapper skins meshes similar to the Blender's shrinkwrap and Max's skin wrap features.The results depend on the topology and deformations you need. The VM's skin smoothing algorithm can help with some meshes. You can export single a skinned mesh with the Skinned Mesh Render's context command or save the entire model with a GameObject Context Command.

Here is the steps to skin simple items with the VM.
    • Assign a mesh, mesh filter, or skinned mesh.
    • Assign the skinned mesh(s) to skin to and press Draw Skin to unsure correct pose.
    • Pick the bones you want to include.
    • Press the create button to create a new skinned mesh.
    • Inspect and Save
    3. Yes. The Delta Canvas should work with any mesh. You initiate the canvas with a mesh, make any changes, and then press create to make a new mesh. To apply a skin back to the new mesh you use the Vertex Mapper with the new mesh as the renderer and the old mesh as the skin (unchecking create blend-shapes and using the skip mapping prompt). Using the VM will not be required in the future.

With uma I ran into a problem with the source models poses not matching, ie the mid-poly slot model. I am working on a built-in solution.

4. Yes, I have worked with several models based of the Manuel Bastioni models that were edited in Blender, but with the bind-pose, transform, and root bone adjustment, any model should be compatible.

5. The Delta Canvas will be get new features and brushes soon. Right now I am working on a tool to create and edit skinning.
    twist and adjust bones.PNG

6. Yes, it should work with any version of UMA after they added blend-shapes.

Thanks for the interest.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    tapawafo and Jaimi like this.
  8. Duffer123

Duffer123

@cwmanley , thanks for the prompt and comprehensive response.

cwmanley likes this.
  9. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@cwmanley I'm interested in purchasing this asset. However it seems to be painful to translate Daz3d models to UMA (saw your back and forth with matteumayo).. How easy is to to import a Daz3d genesis 3 or 8 model and also some corresponding clothing? Thanks!

10. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Creating a new UMA race is not easy at first, but from my asset's standpoint it is.
    • Use the DRM window to create a Deformation Rig (currently you must manually adjust the extra uma root bones).
    • Merge clothing to new rig with the Merge Helper component.
    • Use the Animation Mapper to convert animations to the new rig.
    • Follow the normal UMA workflow.
    Tips:

If you don't need to add Adjust bones you can skip the DRM and just and the extra uma root bones.

Genesis 8: T-Pose the model in daz, and recalculate the normals after bind-posing the model in Unity. This make sure the normals are calculated in the correct pose.

Only export one model from daz at a time, daz exports a skeleton for each model.

Avoid overwrite an existing model if your making changes that affect the avatar.

The uma community is very active if you need any help with the uma part.

Thanks

11. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply! Lemme take a look at the UMA community before making a decision. :)

cwmanley likes this.
  12. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

There is a problem with the ascii fbx vertex colors. The vertex colors export properly with my simple test meshes, but not with others. Sorry I did not sort this out early. I will remove the vertex color support from the fbx exporter till I can fix it.
    Vertex color support will be important, the Delta Canvas will support vertex colors soon.

The ascii fbx can split the meshes apart, I think this is due to the way unity imports meshes the splits are by the uv and submesh edges. I plan on improving the lod matching of the Vertex Mapper to better handle working with mix-matched vertex counts of the same geometry.

Thanks

13. Razmot

Razmot

Hi ! The official unity fbx exporter here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/101408 was updated april 17.
    So maybe you can just get rid of yours !

Edit - yeah it exports in binary FBX !

Edit 2 : Crap I saw that in the doc :
    [Exports] SkinnedMeshRenderers with the following exceptions:
    ○ Humanoid rigs are not supported
    ○ Animated meshes in bone hierarchy are not supported

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  14. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I will have to keep an eye on that. My exporter is limited, but there are not many exporters that support skin and blend-shapes. Let me know if you have any trouble with my exporter. I am trying not to spend too much time on fbx, but I will try to sort out issues if I can.

I finally got the UnLogick Factory IVS Unity Fbx Exporter last month.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/unity-fbx-exporter-69997

The UnLogick Exporter works great with this asset. For managing; models, materials, textures, and scenes the UnLogick Exporter is amazing.

UniLogick' s asset would be very simple to integrate. I am trying to think of a useful way to leverage his asset since it is already so easy to use.

15. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@cwmanley if you're planning to support more of UMA may i suggest adding support for magically including the additional bones that UMA models need (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bB4DIGiW4Q around 4:30)? If it already does that it's fine. I couldn't find any docs :( Thank you!

16. Razmot

Razmot

Adding the global/position bones is already in Skinn ! And note that since uma 2.7 there is a "bone builder" menu that creates the skeleton hierarchy on an empty gameObject.

So what @cwmanley needs to do is more documentation ! I suggest using a wiki :)

17. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

Thank you! I guess another big problem for importing Daz is
    (1) The eyes and eye lashes.
    (2) The multiple textures

Would be great if they can be resolved too. If it's already being done that is even more awesome! Thank you!

18. cwmanley

cwmanley

With my exporter you can any number of bones between the skinned root and the model root.

The fbx exporter should work with any model though it only exports bones in the bone array and the root bones parents.

If any bones are not in the bone array you can use the "New bone Array" command to create and new bone array from the children of the assigned root bone.

Thanks

I agree, I will add wiki to my do list. Sorry it is taking so long for good docs. I will keep the low price till I sort it out and I am glad to help in the mean time :)

1) Eyes and eyelashes can be merged to the base skeleton, if the skeleton does not have the proper bones you must add them by hand and create a "New Bone".

2) I am not sure what you mean about the multiple textures, I use uma to atlas all the textures at run-time.

Can you explain a bit more.

I have some big changes that I need to do before I can get to out beta.
    I am going to unify all the tools into one extendable frame-work rather than a collection of independent tools.
    Unifying the tools into one frame-work will take some time, but I think i will be necessary to keep moving forward. Here is example of how the frame work could simplify complex task.

The tool in the video might be a separate asset or plugin for creating apx files for the Nivdia HairWorks, but it demonstrates the concept.

Thanks for your patience.

Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  19. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

(1) Eyes and eye lashes issue can be seen at 12:29 of www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwR2YVcUhJE. Notice how the eye lashes is so blocky and the eyes just have a white patch. Basically they need to have some transparency set up (and perhaps eye lashes removed from default version). There is a whole bunch of discussions going on about that at a couple of different forums too.

(2) What I meant was multiple materials. When Daz3d exports as fbx a single character (with no clothes or other accessories) tends to have multiple materials (split across multiple textures). Apparently UMA likes it if the base model for an avatar has only a single material [https://forum.unity.com/threads/uma...-the-asset-store.219175/page-134#post-3487052]. I have tried using mesh baker (another asset) and it helps a bit. However I can't get it to work with eyes/eyelashes tweaked the way they are explained on some videos.

The solution I'm looking at is baking the fade settings into the texture itself. Thank you!

20. kenamis

kenamis

How about just export the eyelashes or eyes separately and create a slot for them assigned with your uma material that is set up for the shader and texture count it needs?
    As long as what you export has only 1 material ID, then in Unity no submeshes will be created.

Mohamed-Anis likes this.
  21. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

@kenamis thanks.. will try it. Though I'm also curious to know if @cwmanley has plans to make this process simpler since there might be other humanoid models that have multiple materials and he/she might be looking at building tools to help out with that process :)

22. cwmanley

cwmanley

To remove multiple materials I suggest spitting the meshes with the Skin Utility Context Command.

defining slots with submeshes.PNG
    The Skin Utility can split skinned meshes by sub-Mesh and preserve the skin and blend-shapes. I use the utility right before creating UMA slots that way there is no need to save each sub-mesh.That is how I handle the eyes with Gen8 models, the eye parts become a separate meshes and I can then assign them a separate material or use overlay colors to modify the texture channels.

Thanks

Mohamed-Anis and kenamis like this.
  23. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

cwmanley likes this.
  24. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, I am seeing 2 errors in Unity 2017.2

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Skinn/DeltaCanvas/Scripts/DeltaCanvas.Meshes.cs(112,55): error CS0103: The name `MeshColliderCookingOptions' does not exist in the current context
    3. Assets/Skinn/DeltaCanvas/Scripts/DeltaCanvas.Meshes.cs(112,38): error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.MeshCollider' does not contain a definition for `cookingOptions' and no extension method `cookingOptions' of type `UnityEngine.MeshCollider' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    I have deleted the Delta Canvas folder as I am not using this feature.

25. cwmanley

cwmanley

I must have mixed up the versions, but you can safely comment this bit out or change the version number. If you need to use the Delta Canvas's features.

Code (CSharp):
    2. //Skinn/DeltaCanvas/Scripts/DeltaCanvas.Meshes.cs 111
    3. #if UNITY_2017_1_OR_NEWER
    4.     meshCollider.cookingOptions = MeshColliderCookingOptions.None;
    5. #endif
    Thanks

wetcircuit and Duffer123 like this.
  26. dozhwal

dozhwal

Hi. before buying it, i want to be sure the dev is still supporting the asset ? (last update in March 18) Thanks.

Duffer123 likes this.
  27. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

Thanks for your interest, I am definitely still supporting the asset.

I am hoping to try out CC3 with UMA and the package soon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

chiapet1021 and kenamis like this.
  28. dozhwal

dozhwal

Thx for your response !

I thought your asset worked in play mode but i have a doubt.

I would like to create random character at start : the body have a specific size, and some blendshapes applied (fat for exemple). I would like to add a shirt, and compute vertex weight in bones and blendshapes dynamicaly at start (i want to have a lot of combinaison of body/clothes/blendshapes/textures, and don't want to create 100+ prefab for that) . Is it possible with your asset ? Thanks.

29. cwmanley

cwmanley

No sorry, it is for editor only.

I feel you on the hundreds of prefabs with blend-shapes.

I use uma for run-time since it has so many advanced features.

Overlays,
    Asset Bundles,
    Mesh Hiding,
    Bone Deformation,
    Blend-shape Baking,

I might do to something for projecting 'base mesh' blend-shapes into UMA slots at some point.

30. Mark_01

Mark_01

If you need a CC3 for testing I can send you a link ... I am wondering if this can more or less rip armor from fuse
    to use in the new CC3 standalone .. thanks

31. dozhwal

dozhwal

What is the problem to do automatic skinning transfer and blendshape transfer at runtime ?

I did a little script that works for blendshapes. and sometimes for bones but it's not perfect. I wish your asset would allow that in a polished way :/

Nobody have the need to add cloth to a body without create prefab for each possibility ? I think The sims or Saints rows character editor work with this automatic rig ?

32. cwmanley

cwmanley

@Mark_01
    I can pm you one time download if you want to try that out.

@dozhwal
    No problem, but my focus with this asset is the editor.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  33. magique

magique

34. cwmanley

cwmanley

35. magique

magique

That sounds a bit unconvincing, I'm afraid. I would need a more definitive answer before purchasing.

36. cwmanley

cwmanley

Yeah, sorry it is not really good for robes and dress yet. You can use similar or simple items for good results. I can send you back a exported fbx if you send me a mesh to test.

There is a tool in the works to for skin-painting as a free add-on.

I have been helping on a separate project specifically for converting UMA content.

Thanks

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

If I can offer advice, that cloak (tabard?) would be a problem in any rigging system.
    When I've used Skinn to attach a dress I've also used Unity's cloth component. That's not the only solution of course, and it's a lot easier if you've made the clothing because you can design the outfit for dynamic cloth.

A weight painting tool would be very welcome.

cwmanley likes this.
  38. Wandersoul

Wandersoul

I'm trying to understand the tool. It was recommended to me as a way to export MCS wearable items to UMA, is that something the tool can do?

39. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Sorry for the late response I was having some hardware issues.

The tool is comparable to MCS's standalone Artist Tools.

The vertex mapper can handle skinning simple items to the uma bases, but it works best with higher poly base meshes like mcs/daz or fuse.

I use the asset to port entire races(base meshes and content) to uma.

If your interested in using the mcs base meshes and content with uma I would highly recommend the asset.

Thanks

XCO likes this.
  40. okamoto_tomoyuki

okamoto_tomoyuki

How can I add the contents of DeltaCanvas to BlendShape of SkinnedMeshRenderer?
    When I press a button such as Bake or Create Mesh on the Inspector, Generate new MeshRenderer, but not be added to BlendShape.

41. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

Bake mesh should create a Mesh at the current shape.

Create Mesh creates a Mesh with blend-shapes. Layers need to be added as blend-shape to export.

Right now there should be a few ways to use the Created Mesh.

1. Save the generated mesh and use it with a skinned mesh renderer and the correct bones.

2. Use the Vertex Mapper with the new mesh and the original smr, unchecking create new shapes and excepting the exact match prompt.

3. If your using uma you can apply the canvas directly to a slot data asset.

Thanks

42. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I am extremely excited about some of the new features in Unity 2019.

I will try to do a redesign for 2019+ and I will do my best to keep all your suggestions in mind.

Happy New Year

Thanks

chiapet1021 and wetcircuit like this.
  43. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, I just tested it in 2019.1.

I think the Delta Canvas still works but the blend-shapes are not displaying in the mesh preview.

Can you use the vertex mapper to confirm that the blend-shapes have been added.

Thanks

okamoto_tomoyuki likes this.
  44. Aaron2348

Aaron2348

Hi, I'm trying to use Skinn to get a shirt i made on an Uma, could you explain to me how to do this?

45. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

With the uma example models you can to use the transform offset like in the video.

You can also bind-pose the uma base mesh first and then use it with the normal transform settings.

46. okamoto_tomoyuki

okamoto_tomoyuki

solved.
    Thank you for your reply.

47. EricVenn

EricVenn

Hi,

I'm interested to buy your asset, but I have very specific needs, that are 1) copy skinned mesh geometry from a mecanim character and paste it to another (with exactly the same skeleton). 2) Merge all separated skinned geometry objects of the resulting character (geometry, materials and textures to be in one, I'm not sure that your tool has the same features of Skinned Mesh Combiner package). 3) export it in fbx (without animations). Thanks for helping.

Duffer123 likes this.
  48. EricVenn

EricVenn

Ah, and I forgot the most important : of course it has to do it at run time.

49. local306

local306

@cwmanley does the calculate blend-shape delta-normals feature work for imported blendshapes, or only for blendshapes create via the asset?

50. greene_tea92

greene_tea92

Quick question (could not find it in the forum, sorry if this has already been asked), can this asset help me convert Morph3d clothing into an UMA model, any help would be great, thanks!