Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Skinn Pro & Free - Skin & Blendshape Projection + Much More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cwmanley, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Danirey

Danirey

Hi There,

I'm going to give up with fuse and go ahead with UMA. So thank you for create this tool. I already used it with FUSE at that point, and it was realy cool, and now i'm moving on with what i think is the best option available UMA and SKINN to add content. :).

Best regards!

Jaimi and cwmanley like this.
  2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

@cwmanley

in your poll, you list Bone Based FFD.... Would your tool create the bone, or how would that work…?

cwmanley likes this.
  3. Alic

Alic

Might be a really basic question:

I know I can deform a skinned mesh by moving/scaling bones, and then bake those deformations to a mesh filter, and then rig that mesh filter to the original (or a new) skeleton.

What I don't know is, can I deform a skinned mesh and then bake all of those deformations into the bone hierarchy in some way, so the bone scales are equal to (1, 1, 1), but the model vertices and bone positions reflect the deformations I made?

Basically, what blender does when you bake a transform into vertices. Can I do that with SKINN?

*edit*

Let me try to say this again, but hopefully in a clearer way:

I'm trying to take a humanoid and edit their bone hierarchy to make their head bigger, their arms a little shorter, and their legs a little shorter. I want to know if I can quickly do this scaling in the bone hierarchy and then use SKINN to get a new skinned mesh and bone hierarchy that reflects my changes (bigger head, shorter arms and legs) but doesn't have non-uniform scaling in the bone hierarchy anymore (all the bones would go back to a scale of 1).

I know I can achieve this look with SKINN by creating blendshapes to blend to my deformations, but is there any way to do this and then bake the model so it's just always got a bigger head etc., without needing blend shapes (or without keeping the blend shapes around forever?)

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    cwmanley likes this.
  4. cwmanley

cwmanley

Thanks, I love UMA!

Teila likes this.
  5. cwmanley

cwmanley

I wish there was a delete poll button, hahaha.

Bone-Based meant it was using the 'skinned mesh renderer' to deform the FFD.

The FFD creates and 3 dimension grid of your choice and then you can select the points of the grid to manipulate the mesh. The points on the FFD work with the standard transform tools in world or local space.

original concept FFD

image.png Capture.PNG

I hope to make a FFD tool for 2019+.

wetcircuit likes this.
  6. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, thanks for the question.

You can do this with the bind-pose option on the vertex mapper.
    You would use the the same mesh as the source and the target of the vertex mapper and choose bind-pose.

But I think I am right there with you!

In the upcoming update this will be even easier with the new drag and drop merging for skinned meshes(optional bind-pose), this will allow you to make changes to a rig(transforms), then export and edit a avatar, and merge meshes to that rig.

Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg

And to top that off I made a 'Remove Scale and Rotation' transform command that will update the children of a transform keeping there positions.

The merge adds transforms that are missing allowing you to merge to any game object and add the necessary bones for animation.

The new merging will be in the next update, which has a deadline of 3/31.

wetcircuit likes this.
  7. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is going to be a total redesign.

With the input I have gather from you all I think we will have something really amazing.
    I am more excited about the project than I have ever been. I really appreciate the feed-back and new customers.

The biggest changes are;

Platforms that support compute shaders are required.
    The Vertex Mapper is a run-time component.
    Run-time API.
    Editor API
    Issues Man Handled(Pun Intended)

Benefits;

No more waiting!, progressive mapping, run-time debugging.
    Run-time support for DirectX11 devices.
    An extensive collection of extensions and methods to handle skinned meshes.
    A light-weight editor made for rapid development and custom actions.

I can't go through all the changes right now but, 90% are great user suggestions.
    Feel free to ask more questions.
    I will try to list all the new features soon.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    tapawafo, ecurtz and wetcircuit like this.
  8. tapawafo

tapawafo

Very exciting!

You estimate this redesign will be coming near the end of March?

9. cwmanley

cwmanley

Yeah things are going good. I just removed all the requirements for a root-bone I hope. The fbx exporter will now export the necessary transforms or optionally all transforms.

There are still a few big challenges ahead, but I am really excited for the direction of the asset.

Thanks

tapawafo, Mark_01 and Duffer123 like this.
  10. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I finally found the bug with the exporter's vertex colors. :)

One big upcoming change is the multi mesh skinning will be replaced with simple mesh combining.

This will allow us to remove or combine unwanted sub-meshes and prepare meshes for skinning. The new combing feature is meant for use with the editor; for run-time you would want to use a more advanced system like UMA.

View attachment 384721

Thanks

Attached Files:

tapawafo, wetcircuit and Mark_01 like this.
  11. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

The context commands are going into a nested in a generic menu, and commands can work with MeshFiliters, MeshRenderers, and Skinned Mesh Renderers seamlessly as a Renderer Command.

There will be around 30-50 commands in upcoming update. All the commands are undo-able and when deemed appropriate will work with multi-selection. The commands are easy to design and maintain. You can copy and edit existing commands to better suit your needs, or ask me for to create them. I will add official support for custom commands later on. With so many commands I am including a Command Browsers to serve as built in documentation and overview.

Capture.PNG

The commands will open up a lot new possibilities and simplify the advanced tools; for example instead of using the vertex mapper to filter bones and blend-shapes you would use the commands to prepare source assets and then use the vertex mapper.

image (3).png Screenshot (11).png

The "Save as Assets" Game Object Command is replaced with a prompt. The prompt will pop up whenever you save a prefab with unsaved meshes.

image (2).png

The vertex mapper can use source and target assets from the project folder, and can create skinned meshes on animated objects in the scene.

Capture.PNG
    I still have a lot to accomplish, right now I am working on and testing the blend-shape features. After this weekend I will have more information. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Thanks

tapawafo and chiapet1021 like this.
  12. superowner

superowner

Hello,developer,can this plugin be used to split the skinned mesh model with only one mesh (with submeshs in), and the mesh has blendshapes?

13. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Yes blend-shapes are preserved when splitting a mesh by sub-meshes in the current version.

In 0.6 we will be able to split meshes by uv island which can be slow but really handy at the moment.

I am doing my best to make sure the new combing feature and others features work with blend-shapes.

Thanks

tapawafo and wetcircuit like this.
  14. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is taking longer than thought.

I am trying to get a stable version ready asap and then release steady updates to expand the features.

Thanks for you patience.

tapawafo likes this.
  15. superowner

superowner

hello,developer,I have purchased your plugin, but my model can't be partitioned by this plugin. Can you give me some ideas or update the plugin?
    I just want to merge the meshes that belong to the head, the bodies that belong to the body, and then all the blendshapes are converted to the mesh of the head.

hare is my model: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1hS7ZOeK6reGDAG4bTV8dKg
    password: 8ffc

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  16. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Thanks for your purchase.

I am unable to download the file you shared. Can you email me the file at cwmanley@gmail.com?

You might need the upcoming 0.6 update to handle that.

I am trying to finalize 0.6 this week, I can make sure it works with your model and send the model back to you.

superowner likes this.
  17. superowner

superowner

Oh,thanks, I have sent you.

cwmanley likes this.
  18. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I will be submitting 0.6 this week for 2017.1+ with 2019.1 as the recommend version.
    Some previous features might be missing or outdated with newer features.
    The Delta Canvas did not make it in 0.6 but it will get a similar redesign.
    Sorry it has taken so long to get 0.6 stable.

Here are some videos covering the basic features in 0.6.

Blend-shape Projection

Wieght Projection

Drag and Drop Bone Merging

Bind-posing And Saving Assets

Split and Combine

full playlist

There are over 80 commands in 0.6 including variants for MeshFilters, MeshRenderers, and SkinnedMeshRenderers.

I really hope you love 0.6 and I can't wait to start working on more advanced features with the new api.

Thanks

19. tapawafo

tapawafo

Incredible work! The new UI/workflow features are an insane improvement. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the update.

cwmanley likes this.
  20. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is live on itch.io.

If you don't want to wait for 0.6 you can pm me for a itch key.

One of the perks of buying on the UAS is that you are guaranteed a itch.key if you want one.
    If we haven't met before send me your UAS purchase confirmation id please.

Feel free to use the itch forum for too.
    https://cwmanley.itch.io/skinn-vertex-mapper

wetcircuit and tapawafo like this.
  21. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

sorry I meant to post these small issues with 0.6 sooner

On Import there is a error message about 'missing internal data'.
    • You can ignore this warning on import, if it persist make sure the InternalData scrip-table object is in a resource folder.
    Skinned meshes with blend-shapes but no bone-weights can not be used as a target renderer with the Vertex Mapper.
    • Solution use a Mesh Renderer with the same mesh, the original blend-shapes will be added to the new renderer.
    https://itch.io/t/458124/06

Thanks

tapawafo likes this.
  22. cwmanley

cwmanley

I am going to raise the price of Skinn to $60 dollars and release a FREE version of the Vertex Mapper around early July.

XCO, tapawafo and wetcircuit like this.
  23. dozhwal

dozhwal

Hi, i am heistating between your asset and SkinTools.
    I need, on android (Oculus go), place a cloth on a body and transfer rig and blendshapes (fat guy,...) at runtime.
    Do you think your asset can do that easily ?
    Thank for your response.

24. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

What you create with Skinn can be used on any platform, but Skinn in runtime requires 'Compute Shaders / Direct X'.
    I do not know much about SkinTools, but it looks cool and should work well with Skinn.
    I am not sure either asset will do what you stated in runtime for android yet.

Thanks for your interest.

XCO likes this.
  25. cwmanley

cwmanley

"
    Skinn Vertex Mapper (Free Edition)' has been declined.

Your publisher website link is broken, inaccessible, or nonexistent. You must have a fully functional website that represents your skills, experience, and background as a developer. Your website must have 3 recent examples of your work (it can be small works in progress, a devlog, a screenshot of a test in Unity or other game engine, a compilation of works you’ve submitted to the Asset Store, etc.) and a contact page. Please take the time to assemble your website, otherwise we cannot accept any assets you submit. If you are a student or a hobbyist publisher and don't have a website ready yet, please provide a completed Unity Connect profile. https://connect.unity.com/ (https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines , Section 2.1.a)
    "

F***!!!!

XCO likes this.
  26. awesomedata

awesomedata

Gotta grab that 30% yo.
    Unity's Asset Store doesn't piss you off for free.

27. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

:rolleyes: that is obnoxious! They demand you have a Connect page.

28. cwmanley

cwmanley

I don't even have a cell phone.

But I am not giving up on you guys.

I will continue to give the support my all :)

Alic, tapawafo, awesomedata and 3 others like this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah, that set of requirements has caused some misery for both asset store vendors and customers.

cwmanley likes this.
  30. cwmanley

cwmanley

I am sorry for popping off.

I had to log in as publishers to find out the package was declined and since I was waiting for a response I flipped my S***.

You guys make what I do worth while, I am really sorry for bothering you with my frustrations.

Thank you for your support.

Alic, tapawafo, awesomedata and 3 others like this.
  31. cwmanley

cwmanley

tapawafo likes this.
  32. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

What is the difference in the free edition vs paid?

cwmanley likes this.
  33. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, Thanks

Free
    Vertex Mapper
    1 Context Command to save meshes.

Paid
    Vertex Mapper

Core Features:
    • Save unsaved mesh assets when updating prefabs.
    • Drag & Drop models and merge their bones.
    • Nested Context Command System with over 80 commands for working with assets.

Notable Context Command Features:
    • Optimize and remove unwanted Bones..
    • Split Meshes by sub-mesh, uv, or bone.
    • Inflate and deflate meshes.
    • Combine Meshes merge sub-meshes with shared materials.
    • Remove or rename Blend-shapes and reuse filters as text assets.
    • Basic FBX exporting.
    Growing Commands and Features.

Support the Vertex Mapper's Development.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  34. cwmanley

cwmanley

The price of the paid package is going up from $35 to $60 when Skinn 0.61 goes live on the UAS.

• fixed errors with blend-shapes normals and tangents when splitting sub-meshes.
    • fixed showing a resource error during import.
    • added a define symbol "SKINN" for easy third-party integration.
    Thanks

tapawafo and wetcircuit like this.
  35. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

Hi
    Thanks for the great tool, I just purchased it on the Unity assets store for $60
    To be honest, I play with it only for an hour, so I am pretty sure there is something I missed
    I am trying to create LODs that preserves the Blendshapes of the original skinned mesh, is that possible?
    If not, can you suggest of any pipeline using Skinn that will allow to use an optimized Genesis8 with its blendsheps?
    Thanks again!

36. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello, Thanks for your purchase.

Skinn does not create LODS, but I am working on a way to copy blend-shapes on meshes with matching uvs like LOD levels or imports with mix matched vertex orders.

I would like to include a simple MIT LOD algorithm with added blend-shape support at some point.
    What are you using to create LODs right now?

The Decimator for DAZ Studio might be the best option for LODs of the DAZ base meshes.
    https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

Please let me know if you have any more questions or issues.

37. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

Hi,
    Thanks for the very fast answer :)
    Creating the LODs is not a problem, my problem is to "transfer" the blendshapes if this is possible (as the vertex changed)
    I am using Simplygon outside of Unity or AutomaticLods from the Assets store

Both works great but leaves you without the original blendshapes of course.

My goal is to allow the player to equip and shape the original model (Daz high poly) and once they are happy with it, to optimize it like crazy, even if the player will have to wait for a while.
    Any suggestions how I can use Skinn or any other tool you think can help?

Thanks,

38. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Thanks.

You can use a Vertex Mapper or a Vertex Map function to project blend-shapes on LODs, but that is not ideal for base meshes.

I will bump up a feature to transfer blend-shapes between LODs and imports.

f1chris likes this.
  39. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

Ok sounds good,
    Thanks for the update,

cwmanley likes this.
  40. skinwalker

skinwalker

I tried the free version on unity 2019.1.9 with genesis 8 female and bra, but it didnt work the bra has all of the blendshapes but doesnt expand.

I set enable read write to true but still doesnt work, I see the blendshapes on the bra but they dont modify it in any way when I set them to 100.

EDIT: I noticed that the source asset was wrongly selected it was Genesis8 Eyelashes now I changed it to Genesis8.Shape and it works, I have to test it more to see but previously I spent $150 on an asset that does the same and only wasted my money if this works with my other character Im buying it!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    cwmanley, Duffer123 and wetcircuit like this.
  41. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hi, I forgot to ask since im making custom clothes do I have to rig them to the character (skinned mesh) or this plugin will automatically rig them?

I also tried to make a prefab out of the skinned mesh that it created because I have a lot of clothes I want to instantiate but when I instantiated it the mesh and other data was lost, so all of my clothes have to be on the character but deactivated?

42. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Thanks for trying out the Vertex Mapper.

Yes you can use a Mesh Renderer as a target. The VM projects weights and blend-shapes by default. You can disable each type of projection in their respective settings. Disabling both projection options will allow for merging bones with-out creating a new mesh, but weights will always get projected when using a Mesh Renderer as a target.

To create a prefab from the results with the free asset there is a Skinned Mesh Renderer Context Command for saving a mesh. To access the context command right-click the header of the SMR component. Once you have saved the mesh create a prefab then assign the new mesh to it.

In the paid version you are prompted to automatically save unsaved meshes with prefabs, or you can export single skinned/un-skinned meshes to ASCII FBX. Also with the paid version you can Drag and Drop skinned meshes to any game object to merge there bones, but you can do that with the VM too like I stated above.

Please let me know if you have anymore issues.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    skinwalker likes this.
  43. cwmanley

cwmanley

A BlendshapeCopyLOD() function will be added in the next update along with new commands for it. The function will require, compatible uvs, non-overlapped uvs per sub-mesh, and matching sub-mesh count. The function is slower than a VertexMap function but it is better suit for base meshes.

Thanks for the bump on the lod feature I think it will be very useful. I will try to have a update out before the end of the month.

44. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks for the answer, is there a way to select which shapes I want to include for example for the clothes I dont want to include my characters face blendshapes. I tried with shape-filter and disable the ones I dont need but they still generate

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  45. cwmanley

cwmanley

That looks like a bug, I will try to fix it asap.

In the paid version you can use the Shapes/Edit Names command to bring up a Blend-shape Wizard that can rename or remove shapes.

Thanks

skinwalker likes this.
  46. skinwalker

skinwalker

I will get the paid version, also not sure if its available but if you are looking for a feature to add to the blendshapes I would suggest a search bar similar to the one in blendshapes-filter window but actually on the skinnedmesh renderer component and another useful thing would be to display the index of the blendshape on the list, if you have 50+ blendshapes its kinda hard to find the ID you need

47. cwmanley

cwmanley

The paid version really helps me out but, but please don't feel forced to purchase it.

I am working on a component that sets blend-shapes for the whole model it will definitely have a search bar, I will try to keep showing blend-shape indices in mind as I am working on it.

Thanks

skinwalker likes this.
  48. okamoto_tomoyuki

okamoto_tomoyuki

I was surprised that the tool changed with the upgrade.
    How can I edit a shape similar to DeltaCanvas?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    cwmanley likes this.
  49. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, sorry if the new update surprised you.

I choose to temporally remove the Delta Canvas in 0.6 to focus on the Vertex Mapper and Context Command System.
    After the next update which will be mostly blend-shape commands my main focus will be on adding the Delta Canvas back into the asset.

Plans for the Delta Canvas
    • Renamed to Blend-shape Canvas
    • Simpler GUI
    • Better Performance,
    • Improved Lighting Support
    • Multi-frame Support
    If you need the old canvas before the Blend-shape Canvas update I can send it to you as a add-on for 0.6+ or send a previous version of the asset.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks

wetcircuit likes this.
  50. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Are you supporting Unity's new negative blendshapes…? I can't figure out how they work. Are the basically 2 blendshapes in one slot, or is it reversing the same blendshape?