Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Skinn Pro & Free - Skin & Blendshape Projection + Much More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cwmanley, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Teila

Teila

Looks amazing! I do wonder why the shirt is set as a body than as the chest slot? Is it possible to do that after skinning and still make it work? I think that there will be problems in game with replacing the entire body.

2. cwmanley

cwmanley

Yes, was my mistake.

Thanks

3. reocwolf

reocwolf

Can you basically convert a Fuse Model into an UMA with this?

4. cwmanley

cwmanley

You can skin Fuse Clothing to a UMA model with the Vertex Mapper.

I am going to include separate tool(s) for converting Humanoid Models to UMA models in a update.

Capture.PNG

In the image I should have T-Posed the model so the new Avatar gets created properly.

Clothing from the original model can be merged to the new skeleton.

I am still working out the work-flow.

Thanks

TeagansDad, Teila and wetcircuit like this.
  5. cwmanley

cwmanley

6. XCO

XCO

Look super awesome dude :) Chris is the MAN!!! :)

7. Teila

Teila

Tried this last night and a couple of issues that may be user error. :) I am using UMA. First of all, Ferando's meshes do not match the regular meshes and as far as I can see, there is no current high poly mesh of the basic UMA character. So I could not use a high poly mesh.

Tried it with low poly but didn't work. So basically, not sure how to use this with UMA at this time.

Second, docs need to be reworked. The written docs are nice but there are missing steps. The videos are hard to follow because there is no audio.

Finally, the mesh I wanted to rig may have been the problem. lol

I see a lot of potential with this so will continue trying it. I will try it with a simpler mesh, one I know I can rig with Maya and see if that works.

Thanks!

wetcircuit likes this.
  8. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

The UMA High Poly Meshes will only improve quality as it has more Bone Weights to work with.

I will try to improve docs and videos, sorry.

The UMA models are tricky make sure the VM's Transform Settings match the real transformation of the UMA mesh.

Screenshot (54).png

You can see the real transformation of a mesh by dragging just the mesh asset into a Scene Hierarchy, you may have add materials/sub-meshes to see the mesh.

Capture2.PNG

Normally you can just Bind-Pose the mesh to orientate the mesh to a proper transformation, but you can also use the Transformation Settings as a workaround for UMA etc.

Being able to choose your approach makes the system very powerful.

Please let me know if you still have trouble.

I am trying to get some help with the docs and videos.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Teila likes this.
  9. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

TBH I feel like I am fumbling through the docs, although it did what I expected it to do. (Not sure I'm doing it right...)

10. cwmanley

cwmanley

Sorry,

Can you give me a example of what your trying to do?

I really appreciate the input.

Thanks

11. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Adding extra hairs to a Fuse figure seems to work fine (Fuse is designed around not allowing multiple clothing in the same category, so it's not possible to load up a figure with cloth/hair options – until now :D).

I'm trying more complex clothing items now… (Fuse also resets the bind pose on rigging, so my test clothes don't quite align with the figure). One of my test items exploded around the shoulders. I assume I can try some other (distance?) settings for the scan, but not really sure what settings I'm looking for….

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 9.35.36 AM.png

My only problem was in the 1-click save to assets where I lost my figure's eyeballs, but that seems like a side issue and I'm still doing tests (the teeth and other skinned meshes came through fine). There might be other ways to save the figure (Prefabs) too, so I'm not sure how critical it is….

I sent you a PM with one of my Fuse resculpts, since they are in a slightly different hierarchy from the supplied figures….

12. cwmanley

cwmanley

I think I know whats going on.

The model is very helpful, I will look into it this after-noon.

Thanks for your patience.

XCO likes this.
  13. cwmanley

cwmanley

wetcircuit and XCO like this.
  14. cwmanley

cwmanley

The pink mesh is the actual position of the skinned meshes vertices.
    Capture.PNG

Without bind-posing the mesh first the Vertex Mapper would produce some weird or no results.

I am still looking into the missing eyes.

Please let me know if this did not help.

Thank You

wetcircuit and XCO like this.
  15. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hey! I haven't said "thank you" for SKINN in like a month! LOL ;) Unity - Main Camera 2017-05-25 at 18.54.03.png

I finally figured out my issues with the bind pose :rolleyes: I was overthinking it, and not really understanding the workflow. It's a lot simpler than I thought. Now I can get long hair props skinned, and I'm re-thinking how to make dynamic clothes.

coverpage, Teila, marcipw and 3 others like this.
  16. cwmanley

cwmanley

You are very welcome :)

Looks great!

Let me know if I can work on any features that will help.

Setting up a cloth component sounds like a good fit for the asset.

Thanks

17. GXMark

GXMark

Am i missing something but once i skin my clothing to my avatar model i can't save the clothing item separately to be fitted. The demo video saves-as asset the root prefab.

How do i save my skinned clothing separately ? and reapply my clothing to the character at run-time for instant usage in my game ?

18. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

Currently my tool only merges skinned meshes to model in the editor.

The skin is stored in the mesh.asset the prefab contains the bones.

To separate the clothing you can edit the prefab(s).

In most cases I would simply enable/disable the clothing as needed, but for run-time you could use this function from the wiki. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/SkinnedMeshTools

Please let me know if you need another example.

Thanks

19. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

I have the exporter working properly, it supports; vertex colors, blend-shapes, skin, multiple UV channels and sub-materials.

Screenshot (59).jpg

The Humanoid Mapper is being finalized. The HM can add skeletal deforming bones to a humanoid base model and add the necessary bones for a UMA or a custom system. Skeletal scales and rotations can be normalized for simplicity. Deforming bones can be centered for optimal deformation. Skinned meshes can be adapted to a HM skeleton with a mapping object and mapping component.

I plan on submitting a new version within a few days.

Thanks

20. cwmanley

cwmanley

tapawafo and kenamis like this.
  21. Andresmonte

Andresmonte

hello, i need an off thread "SkinnedMeshRenderer.BakeMesh" method.
    i remember it used to be fast, but now it eats the main thread.
    can this asset do that?
    i need "blendshapes" baked into the mesh as well.

22. cwmanley

cwmanley

no, sorry I don't provide any run-time support yet and I use the BakeMesh as well.

I might be able to help with the blend-shapes but I am not sure about the performance issue.

Thanks

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Skinn-VM is great for dynamic cloth. Being able to add only the bones I need in the torso, and none on the legs or arms….

Dress.png

I used another asset called Cloth Editor to set the constraints on the dress vertices, which is about 15k polygons – I kept trying higher and higher-poly versions of the dress to see if Unity would choke but it didn't….

Needless to say I wouldn't be trying this if I had to rig the dress in another program. It would be too much effort just to test the physics. I'd have to set the rig to humanoid, reset all the capsule colliders to the skeleton, bla bla bla. With Skinn it's like 3 clicks and done….

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  24. cwmanley

cwmanley

That is amazing!

Thanks for sharing I really enjoy seeing your work :)

wetcircuit likes this.
  25. dearamy

dearamy

There is No Example in the asset

26. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

Sorry, I did not think a example scene would be useful.

Is there anything I can help you with?

27. dearamy

dearamy

I think maybe a scene with a skinned model and a mesh without skin data showing the result of mesh to skinned mesh conversion will be really helpful to the people who don't know what HD skin is, like me.

Because I don't know what the mesh and skinned mesh should be like if they are qualified to do this conversion.

And I do test some models of my own, the mesh after converted to the skinned mesh, Its vertex count is doubled and the triangles are split to several pieces and not to mention the vertex color are totally disordered.

Besides, a manual of the inspector will be helpful too.
    At least to document these options, like when do I need to check some of the bones?
    SkinnedMesh.png

However, I got say I really admire this whole idea about to auto-rig the mesh to some skinned mesh. It's really a lifesaver to so many 3d artists.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  28. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

The HDSkin is a way to skin to multiple skinned meshes, I will try to put a demo together.

This sounds like the import settings of the meshes are not set to Tris, currently the Vertex Mapper only supports triangles, if this is not the problem can you please send me a copy of one of the models.

If the vertex mapping(skin wrapping) is picking up bones you don't want, you simply exclude/uncheck them.

The vertex mapper is more of skin wrapper than a auto-rigger.
    The skin is transferred from a skinned mesh to a mesh.
    I hope to experiment with a real auto-rigging feature.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

29. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I am creating example UMA DNA and Expressions for MCS/Daz3d models converted with the Humanoid Mapper.

MCS Male.PNG MCS.PNG Breast.PNG MCS Plus Size.PNG

wetcircuit likes this.
  30. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

The next update will include a tool that fixes the paths of animations and a fbx bug fix.

The Humanoid Mapper is being renamed to Deformation Rig Mapper, since it will now support Humanoid and Generic Models.

You can use the deformation rigs with or without UMA. I highly recommend UMA.

I am using the art from the endless runner asset for the examples, I will upload them here.

Thanks for your patience :)

skinnAM.PNG Capture (2).PNG rat.PNG dark rat.PNG green rat.PNG

wetcircuit likes this.
  31. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Just found this asset and, so far, I'm really impressed! Recently, I have noticed that Unity could be turned into a universal tool that can handle everything from animations to textures to modeling. There is only thing missing from Unity that would make it complete and that is a rigging tool that will skin models to bones that are not part of another skinned mesh. This asset is the closest thing to filling that gap so I hope that at some point you'll be able to add such a feature (skinning an object to a rig without a skinned mesh, possibly with vertex weight paint tools) And please forgive my ignorance if a feature like that already exists :D

32. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

I hope to include Skin Painting soon and later on I want to add a Envelop System.

Right now I am working on fbx animation for the next update.

We should be able to export Generic and baked Humanoid animation clips.

Please let me know if I can help in any way and thanks for the feedback.

:)

33. Teila

Teila

I wonder how this would work with MCS licenses? lol Looks really good!

34. cwmanley

cwmanley

35. cwmanley

cwmanley

@Secret Anorak has made an amazing introduction to UMA.

;)

hopeful and RoyArtorius like this.
  36. XCO

XCO

Hey my man, I recently started playing with your tool again. Can I use this to say make a tshirt from MCS that is a skinned mesh a little bit bigger ?

I need to scale the bottom of the shirt.

37. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I have not used MCS in awhile, but this might work.

Pose the t-shirt and then Bake to a mesh with the Skinned Mesh Context Menu.

Use the new mesh and the skinned t-shirt with the Vertex Mapper window, and skip the vertex mapping prompt.

The blend-shapes from MCS should still work on the new t-shirt.

Let me know if there are any issues.

XCO likes this.
  38. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

is it possible to use your tool to deform a character? I simply want to put a tennis ball size hole (not really a hole, but a mesh pushed in). on a skinned mesh renderer at runtime. Even if it has to be setup in advance.

I want to have gunshots put bullet holes into zombies, and fill the holes with additional meshes

39. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

If you can model the holes with another unity asset you can use my tool to load them as blend-shapes.

I don't think it could easily handle the deforming yet, but it could skin the additional meshes to the zombie.

//Edit

This asset looks like it might be useful for run-time zombie gore :)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/61022

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  40. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Thanks for the reply.

I can model them in blender.

How does the blend shapes work?

Would it require another mesh be out into the character as a mesh? Or would I simply attach it to a bone?

I’m not quit sure I understand how they work. I saw the video of the clothing being added, but I’m not sure what it’s doing underneath the hood.

41. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

42. cwmanley

cwmanley

Sorry for the late reply,

The blend-shapes are the normal Unity blend-shapes.

The Vertex Mapper can add blend-shapes to any skinned mesh with mesh filters as long as the vertex order is the same.

Custom Blend-shape.PNG

If your using blend-shapes my fbx exporter can mess up the vertex order(this will throw a warning soon) so make sure to use the Save as Asset(s) Game Object Context Command.

I will be glad to try to add any features that would help.

Thanks

43. cwmanley

cwmanley

I am adding a Skin Utility Command in the next update.

It is has a extendable blend-shape filter for managing blend-shapes.

Skinn Extendable Blendshape Utility.png

I will try to release the next update soon with a few small bug fixes.

Thanks

tapawafo and chiapet1021 like this.
  44. awesomedata

awesomedata

So is it possible to run this somehow at runtime in order to auto-rig a stylized character with clothing, etc.?

Seems like this could be really useful for a lot of people (with some documentation of course -- unfortunately your videos are too quick and don't explain the options at all), but from what I'm seeing, the major support seems to be UMA, and I'm just not into making dolls unfortunately, plus most of my own meshes would have to be setup manually.

I would prefer this to be a general-purpose customization system -- as in, I would like to weld long, flowy, clothing onto the bones of a low-poly stylized character as easily as I would the doll you have there.

Is this something that's in the pipeline?

I really really /really/ want to like your tool more, but I need it for /games/ and not for fast and dirty model skinning without being able to tweak weighting after autorigging or swap meshes (or even just /parts/ of meshes) entirely -- on the same skeleton -- so I feel like I really should give that last little push to get this useful for a bit more general stuff. Does this make sense?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  45. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hello,

No, the Asset is not a auto-rigger, and run-time support is experimental/limited. The Vertex Mapper is a tool for transferring and managing skin and blend-shapes.The mapping results depend on the topology used, which in many case the results need touched up or altered.

I am working on improving the results and I am making specialized tools tool help edit bone-weights and blend-shapes.

I am sorry if you don't like my asset, but it very useful to me and I am glad I am able share it.

Thanks for your interested.

I hope to release some tutorials and work on a support website after I make a few big changes that will make things even easier.
    • The Vertex Mapper will except Mesh and Skinned Mesh Renderers for blend-shape only functionality.
    • The Vertex Mapper will support multiple Skinned Meshes, and the HDSkin will be removed.
    • Examples.
    • A surprise :)
    I will have more information soon, I am almost finished with the current update.

46. awesomedata

awesomedata

Ah -- it looks like I misunderstood some parts of your asset and what you were going for then.

I can agree with topology possibly needing to be touched-up, but, in some cases (with very simple meshes -- or meshes based on parts) this can be overlooked as long as the body layout is the same proportionally (i.e. such as with cube volumes indicating the various regions of the body [for example, to automatically weight accessories to the bones associated with these volumes], meaning this might allow for some awesome runtime applications [for simpler meshes] if you'd be up to implementing it.)

I'm sorry if it came across that I didn't like your work -- The truth is, I just didn't understand what you were going for with this. As I said before, I'm really glad that someone is developing in this space. Please don't take my commentary as something of an insult -- you've made more progress with this so far than anyone else using Unity seems to have done. My point is only that I want to see you push it further if you can. There is much need for love in this area of the animation workflow -- so props for you for trying to make that happen in any way.

Hopefully I've made my thoughts a little more clear this time. -- Sorry if I might have offended you.

47. cwmanley

cwmanley

48. cwmanley

cwmanley

Here is a peak at a new tool to clean up and create blend-shapes.

Thanks

tapawafo, awesomedata and chiapet1021 like this.
  49. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.4b is out :)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/86532

Remove old package before updating!

//VM
    Added Basic Examples.
    Fixed: Meshes under 100 vertices were not allowed.
    Improved: Faster mapping and skin smoothing.
    Improved: Native support for working with pre-skinned meshes.
    Improved: Native support for skinning to multiple meshes.
    Change: Recalculate Normals is now an option to rotate the Normals with the transform settings.
    Change: The HDSkin scriptable object is now used internally by the Vertex Mapper.

//Other Tools
    Fixed: Mesh bind-poses not being copied with the mesh in newer Unity versions.
    Improved: DRM humanoid auto mapping. Added: Skin Utility - a Wizard for managing blend-shapes and sub-meshes.

I will try to include the Delta Canvas in the next update.
    FBX animation support has been pushed back a bit.

Please let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks

50. tapawafo

tapawafo

Hello,

I've just purchased your asset and I'm having a great time using it - thanks for releasing it! However in regards to porting a DAZ model to UMA I've run into an issue.

The HumanoidMapper (DeformationRigMapper now) seems to have worked flawlessly, however, when I follow SecretAnorak's Race Creation tutorial, and get to using the Slot Builder, I run into issues.

The Slot Builder, when given the SkinnedMeshRenderer created with SKINN's Mapper, gives me an output of 10 slots, instead of the 1 shown in Secret's tutorial. (Body_Slot, Body_Slot1, Body_Slot2, etc...)

I tried to just continue the tutorial, however, the final product results in only a segment of a mesh. (I assume this is a result of the 10 slots being generated.)

https://image.prntscr.com/image/R2emMjDrSM_1K_a3JJPTbQ.png

Have you run into this issue during your conversion of DAZ models as well? Do you know of any remedy? I'm sort of at a loss with where to go in terms of troubleshooting.

Thanks.

EDIT: After using the Skin Utility to Combine Meshes for submeshes, then repeating the slot building process, I do indeed only get the one slot. This slot, as seen below, has the complete mesh, when repeating the exact same race creation process. There are however some visual artifacts when doing this Combine Mesh on the DAZ model.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/npsPPVmqQnamvCnFNVhWWg.png

(The model is also rotated even though I did the Transform > UmaSettings during this process - this is probably just something I've messed up though. The Overlay is also messed up as I have to figure out how to set this up for DAZ models.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018