Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Skinn 0.6

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cwmanley, Feb 15, 2017.

?

I have a few things I want to include what should I prioritize?

1. Tools to convert Humanoid Models into UMA models.

2. Bone based Free Form Deformer(FFD)

3. Skin Painting

4. ACSII FBX Exporting

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Danirey

Danirey

Hi There,

I'm going to give up with fuse and go ahead with UMA. So thank you for create this tool. I already used it with FUSE at that point, and it was realy cool, and now i'm moving on with what i think is the best option available UMA and SKINN to add content. :).

Best regards!

Jaimi and cwmanley like this.
  2. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

@cwmanley

in your poll, you list Bone Based FFD.... Would your tool create the bone, or how would that work…?

cwmanley likes this.
  3. Alic

Alic

Might be a really basic question:

I know I can deform a skinned mesh by moving/scaling bones, and then bake those deformations to a mesh filter, and then rig that mesh filter to the original (or a new) skeleton.

What I don't know is, can I deform a skinned mesh and then bake all of those deformations into the bone hierarchy in some way, so the bone scales are equal to (1, 1, 1), but the model vertices and bone positions reflect the deformations I made?

Basically, what blender does when you bake a transform into vertices. Can I do that with SKINN?

*edit*

Let me try to say this again, but hopefully in a clearer way:

I'm trying to take a humanoid and edit their bone hierarchy to make their head bigger, their arms a little shorter, and their legs a little shorter. I want to know if I can quickly do this scaling in the bone hierarchy and then use SKINN to get a new skinned mesh and bone hierarchy that reflects my changes (bigger head, shorter arms and legs) but doesn't have non-uniform scaling in the bone hierarchy anymore (all the bones would go back to a scale of 1).

I know I can achieve this look with SKINN by creating blendshapes to blend to my deformations, but is there any way to do this and then bake the model so it's just always got a bigger head etc., without needing blend shapes (or without keeping the blend shapes around forever?)

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    cwmanley likes this.
  4. cwmanley

cwmanley

Thanks, I love UMA!

Teila likes this.
  5. cwmanley

cwmanley

I wish there was a delete poll button, hahaha.

Bone-Based meant it was using the 'skinned mesh renderer' to deform the FFD.

The FFD creates and 3 dimension grid of your choice and then you can select the points of the grid to manipulate the mesh. The points on the FFD work with the standard transform tools in world or local space.

original concept FFD

image.png Capture.PNG

I hope to make a FFD tool for 2019+.

wetcircuit likes this.
  6. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi, thanks for the question.

You can do this with the bind-pose option on the vertex mapper.
    You would use the the same mesh as the source and the target of the vertex mapper and choose bind-pose.

But I think I am right there with you!

In the upcoming update this will be even easier with the new drag and drop merging for skinned meshes(optional bind-pose), this will allow you to make changes to a rig(transforms), then export and edit a avatar, and merge meshes to that rig.

Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg

And to top that off I made a 'Remove Scale and Rotation' transform command that will update the children of a transform keeping there positions.

The merge adds transforms that are missing allowing you to merge to any game object and add the necessary bones for animation.

The new merging will be in the next update, which has a deadline of 3/31.

wetcircuit likes this.
  7. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is going to be a total redesign.

With the input I have gather from you all I think we will have something really amazing.
    I am more excited about the project than I have ever been. I really appreciate the feed-back and new customers.

The biggest changes are;

Platforms that support compute shaders are required.
    The Vertex Mapper is a run-time component.
    Run-time API.
    Editor API
    Issues Man Handled(Pun Intended)

Benefits;

No more waiting!, progressive mapping, run-time debugging.
    Run-time support for DirectX11 devices.
    An extensive collection of extensions and methods to handle skinned meshes.
    A light-weight editor made for rapid development and custom actions.

I can't go through all the changes right now but, 90% are great user suggestions.
    Feel free to ask more questions.
    I will try to list all the new features soon.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    matteumayo, ecurtz and wetcircuit like this.
  8. matteumayo

matteumayo

Very exciting!

You estimate this redesign will be coming near the end of March?

9. cwmanley

cwmanley

Yeah things are going good. I just removed all the requirements for a root-bone I hope. The fbx exporter will now export the necessary transforms or optionally all transforms.

There are still a few big challenges ahead, but I am really excited for the direction of the asset.

Thanks

matteumayo, Mark_01 and Duffer123 like this.
  10. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I finally found the bug with the exporter's vertex colors. :)

One big upcoming change is the multi mesh skinning will be replaced with simple mesh combining.

This will allow us to remove or combine unwanted sub-meshes and prepare meshes for skinning. The new combing feature is meant for use with the editor; for run-time you would want to use a more advanced system like UMA.

View attachment 384721

Thanks

Attached Files:

matteumayo, wetcircuit and Mark_01 like this.
  11. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

The context commands are going into a nested in a generic menu, and commands can work with MeshFiliters, MeshRenderers, and Skinned Mesh Renderers seamlessly as a Renderer Command.

There will be around 30-50 commands in upcoming update. All the commands are undo-able and when deemed appropriate will work with multi-selection. The commands are easy to design and maintain. You can copy and edit existing commands to better suit your needs, or ask me for to create them. I will add official support for custom commands later on. With so many commands I am including a Command Browsers to serve as built in documentation and overview.

Capture.PNG

The commands will open up a lot new possibilities and simplify the advanced tools; for example instead of using the vertex mapper to filter bones and blend-shapes you would use the commands to prepare source assets and then use the vertex mapper.

image (3).png Screenshot (11).png

The "Save as Assets" Game Object Command is replaced with a prompt. The prompt will pop up whenever you save a prefab with unsaved meshes.

image (2).png

The vertex mapper can use source and target assets from the project folder, and can create skinned meshes on animated objects in the scene.

Capture.PNG
    I still have a lot to accomplish, right now I am working on and testing the blend-shape features. After this weekend I will have more information. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Thanks

matteumayo and chiapet1021 like this.
  12. superowner

superowner

Hello,developer,can this plugin be used to split the skinned mesh model with only one mesh (with submeshs in), and the mesh has blendshapes?

13. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Yes blend-shapes are preserved when splitting a mesh by sub-meshes in the current version.

In 0.6 we will be able to split meshes by uv island which can be slow but really handy at the moment.

I am doing my best to make sure the new combing feature and others features work with blend-shapes.

Thanks

matteumayo and wetcircuit like this.
  14. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is taking longer than thought.

I am trying to get a stable version ready asap and then release steady updates to expand the features.

Thanks for you patience.

matteumayo likes this.
  15. superowner

superowner

hello,developer,I have purchased your plugin, but my model can't be partitioned by this plugin. Can you give me some ideas or update the plugin?
    I just want to merge the meshes that belong to the head, the bodies that belong to the body, and then all the blendshapes are converted to the mesh of the head.

hare is my model: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1hS7ZOeK6reGDAG4bTV8dKg
    password: 8ffc

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  16. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

Thanks for your purchase.

I am unable to download the file you shared. Can you email me the file at cwmanley@gmail.com?

You might need the upcoming 0.6 update to handle that.

I am trying to finalize 0.6 this week, I can make sure it works with your model and send the model back to you.

superowner likes this.
  17. superowner

superowner

Oh,thanks, I have sent you.

cwmanley likes this.
  18. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

I will be submitting 0.6 this week for 2017.1+ with 2019.1 as the recommend version.
    Some previous features might be missing or outdated with newer features.
    The Delta Canvas did not make it in 0.6 but it will get a similar redesign.
    Sorry it has taken so long to get 0.6 stable.

Here are some videos covering the basic features in 0.6.

Blend-shape Projection

Wieght Projection

Drag and Drop Bone Merging

Bind-posing And Saving Assets

Split and Combine

full playlist

There are over 80 commands in 0.6 including variants for MeshFilters, MeshRenderers, and SkinnedMeshRenderers.

I really hope you love 0.6 and I can't wait to start working on more advanced features with the new api.

Thanks

wetcircuit, matteumayo and Duffer123 like this.
  19. matteumayo

matteumayo

Incredible work! The new UI/workflow features are an insane improvement. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the update.

cwmanley likes this.
  20. cwmanley

cwmanley

0.6 is live on itch.io.

If you don't want to wait for 0.6 you can pm me for a itch key.

One of the perks of buying on the UAS is that you are guaranteed a itch.key if you want one.
    If we haven't met before send me your UAS purchase confirmation id please.

Feel free to use the itch forum for too.
    https://cwmanley.itch.io/skinn-vertex-mapper

wetcircuit and matteumayo like this.
  21. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

sorry I meant to post these small issues with 0.6 sooner

On Import there is a error message about 'missing internal data'.
    • You can ignore this warning on import, if it persist make sure the InternalData scrip-table object is in a resource folder.
    Skinned meshes with blend-shapes but no bone-weights can not be used as a target renderer with the Vertex Mapper.
    • Solution use a Mesh Renderer with the same mesh, the original blend-shapes will be added to the new renderer.
    https://itch.io/t/458124/06

Thanks

matteumayo likes this.
  22. cwmanley

cwmanley

I am going to raise the price of Skinn to $60 dollars and release a FREE version of the Vertex Mapper around early July.

XCO, matteumayo and wetcircuit like this.
  23. dozhwal

dozhwal

Hi, i am heistating between your asset and SkinTools.
    I need, on android (Oculus go), place a cloth on a body and transfer rig and blendshapes (fat guy,...) at runtime.
    Do you think your asset can do that easily ?
    Thank for your response.

24. cwmanley

cwmanley

Hi,

What you create with Skinn can be used on any platform, but Skinn in runtime requires 'Compute Shaders / Direct X'.
    I do not know much about SkinTools, but it looks cool and should work well with Skinn.
    I am not sure either asset will do what you stated in runtime for android yet.

Thanks for your interest.

XCO likes this.