Search Unity

Skin wrap asset/script for Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by arturmandas, Jun 9, 2015.

1. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hello, is there something like skin wrap modifier from 3DS Max for Unity? What I mean: one mesh driving the deformation of another, specifically for quick character retargetting.
    Thank you in advance!
    Best

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

afaik - no.
    animation retargeting and the cloth workflow is probably as close you can get to something close to skin wrap with the built in Unity tools.
    But - I'm thinking your speaking to how skin wrap is used in Max which is to wrap an accessory mesh around another mesh (on a character) and transferring the skinning data from the base mesh to the accessory mesh.
    If your thinking of complete characters - to retarget - I think the better workflow is retargeting the animation - either within Unity using the humanoid rig, or outside Unity using one of the animation friendly workflows in any authoring tool.

3. arturmandas

arturmandas

Thank you very much. Yes, outside Unity the workflow is pretty simple: a skin wrap modifier (3DS Max / Maya), then conversion to skin, and we have an export-ready model. Thank you again!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Very welcome.
    Post up an image of your work if you can. Always interested in seeing successful modular art workflows. :)

5. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

The MegaFiers asset has a Wrap system, videos below showing basic meshes being wrapped to morphing and skinned meshes as well as more complex clothing being wrapped to animated and deforming meshes.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. arturmandas

arturmandas

I am working on an unusual game, once I have an alpha trailer demo, I will post for sure. Thanks!

7. EyeOnYou

EyeOnYou

I am interested as well! Unusual games are the future!!!

8. arturmandas

arturmandas

9. EyeOnYou

EyeOnYou

10. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Perhaps you should submit a support ticket on their website?