Search Unity

Skin Mesh Cut Simulation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pdpalma, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Pdpalma

Pdpalma

Hi, i'm wondering how is the best way to make something like this (min 2:14):
    , the way that the user cuts the skin and manipulate it's

I tested some tools like Mesh Slicer but don't does this kind of cuts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I could be wrong, but it looks to me as if it could be a very detailed skinned mesh with intricately placed bones and mostly pre-animated deformations.

At least in the first 4.5 minutes, the cuts seem to only take place along on pre-marked lines, and tools seem to snap into place when being used. The video doesn't show any arbitrary cutting or tool usage, e.g. cutting sideways where he's not supposed to, or drilling a random hole somewhere else in the leg. So I get the impression that it mostly animates pre-prepared steps in a fixed procedure, rather than being a fully dynamic anatomical deformation simulation.

The closest thing to dynamic simulation I saw was when he ran his finger along the side of the incision and the skin moved. That could be fairly simply implemented by having colliders on the bones and fingers, and constraints on how far the bones can move.

So it isn't something you'd do with a tool such as Mesh Slicer. It's something you'd do in your 3D modelling and animation package.

Alternatively, you could write an anatomical deformation simulation, but that's... quite a bit of work, to say the least.

Pdpalma likes this.
  3. Pdpalma

Pdpalma

Thanks for your good answer. I thought the same solution, but i was not sure if could work. Maybe i could make an example to test it. It's true, it's not dynamic cut system, it seems like presets the line of cut.