Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

skill leveling (like in wow(level up fishing,cooking,skinning))

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Zakari, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Zakari

Zakari

I am having a hard time figuring out how i am going to tie skills to everything in my game, i will also need to make gui to show the skills, I will add skills to everything, [Experience:leveling up player][skill Experience:Level up fireball over use][fishing: level up fishing by catching a successful catch]
    I need help adding a cap per each playerlevel (70 for cap) I will need to do this in c#, Thanks im out
    '
    Zachary virtualol.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Welcome Zach -
    This might be the wrong thread - and it is definitely the wrong approach.

Design is how the skill leveling will be designed - kind of like theoretically, and what works and what doesn't.
    What you seem to be talking about is mostly implementation which is a different thread -

You need a lot - but you don't state any solutions you have tried so far. Not too many people are interested in helping someone who states a bunch of problems but doesn't offer any initiative to solve the problems they are having.

Suggest designing your skill leveling system first on paper so you can see errors before attempting to implement them. And in the other thread - give some examples of some solutions you have attempted and you might get a couple responses on those approaches. Otherwise - you out - of luck.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

wccrawford, theANMATOR2b and Teila like this.
  4. goonter

goonter

@theANMATOR2b is right, but also if you already had these systems working in your game, it would be extremely obvious how to hook them into a use-based leveling system. Each time you cast a fireball, or catch a fish, a piece of code that you wrote to perform the fireball (or fish catch) would be executed. All you'd do is add a counter to this code so every time it is executed, the number goes up. Then you'd have level mappings such that 100 uses causes you to reach level 1, 250 uses causes you to reach level 2, or whatever.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Zakari

Zakari

haha, i forgot about this post... I can easily create the actual skills and skill leveling system, just not the implementation of gui, i would require... I have moved onto other projects where I now need to create a procedural leveling system for all objects ingame. I can easily do this, and know unitys ui system a little bit. I also learned how to script in c#, back then i knew absolutly no c#. Thank you for telling me i was on the wrong thread. @theANMATOR2b & @goonter

6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

one game that handled skills base progression very well in my opinion :