Search Unity

Skewed isometric grid (trimetric)

Discussion in '2D' started by karmatha, Feb 27, 2020.

1. karmatha

karmatha

I didn't know what else to call this thread. I've been asked to make an isometric game and our artist has made a lot of artwork beforehand. I was hoping to use Unitys tilemap feature. Now I found out it's not made in a true isometric way, but rather something other. Perhaps trimetric? the NW-to-SE lines are at a different angle than the SW-to-NE lines.

Am I screwed? Is there a way to configure a grid to work with these skewed lines?

2. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Have you tried playing with the Grid component parameters? You could also change the rotation of its transform. That, however, may have other challenges, like necessitating a non-obvious Transparency Sort Axis for front-back sorting to work quite right.

3. Sam_Ooi

Sam_Ooi

Unity Technologies

Hello karmantha, the 2D Tilemap Editor does not support trimetric currently. I'm not 100% sure that all your artwork Assets are based on trimetric projection though, so you may be able to experiment with different Grid Cell sizes to see if that would work.

4. karmatha

karmatha

No.. I'm also not convinced it's trimetric .. rather something our designer concocted up. I did experiment a bit with the cell sizes but the problem seems to be that in Unity the diagonal lines need have a mirrored angle. One cannot be more slanted than the other. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Will think on how to proceed.