Search Unity

Sketchup 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adshead, Oct 2, 2005.

1. adshead

adshead

Hi all,

I just discovered a 3d modeller called Sketchup and the latest version can now export to fbx format. The software is primarily used for architectural design but more and more people seem to be using it for game level design.

They offer an fully functional 8 hour demo. The reason its only 8 hours is because it is really easy to use - kind of a modelling program for designers rather than modellers - ideal for many Unity users I'm guessing!

Check it out - they have a tonne of training videos so that you can get a better idea of how its used.

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I have been a fan of Sketchup since version 3. It is one of the few other software apps that made me literally stop in my tracks and order a copy. Highly recommend it. I'll work something up and see how the FBX export in the new version plays with Unity (there might be a problem with extruded boxes not not having one face.

3. Richard_B

Richard_B

I had a look through some of the videos - it looks VERY interesting. I guess the rub will be how well the fbx exporter works.

Thanks for the pointer,
    Richard.

4. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

We have used sketchup in the past to get in prototype geometry. Back then we exported as 3DS.

We didn't bother to map it, so I don't know how well that works. But to just get a feel for how level layout works, I can really recommend it.

Below is an image from an early prototype of a concept that got scrapped. The city was quite a bit larger than what you see here, and the whole thing was done by an architect in about 1 hour in SketchUP.

Attached Files:

5. pikachu

pikachu

That application is awesome!
    I have been using many 3D applications and I have become a great fan of Modo3D. But this application is a must have to quickly get cages right and then refine them in a proper package. It certainly beats playing around with vertices.

Thanks for the tip!!!

6. Richard_B

Richard_B

Yea - very tempted... $500..mmmm.

7. adshead

adshead

Yes I must say I was impressed with this package having never heard of it before. One of the biggest problems for me is that I am not a good modeller by any means but the speed at which I could create stuff in sketchup surprised even me. So whilst the price tag is $500 I myself am very tempted purely because I've been more productive in this than anything else I have ever tried.

This package is also one to watch in the future because it sounds like the makers are starting to realise how much potential it has as a tool for game developers.