Search Unity

Sketchfab on the forums!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We are super happy to announce that you can now embed your 3D models in a forum post using Sketchfab.

What is Sketchfab?

Sketchfab is an in-browser interactive 3D model viewer, you don’t need a plugin and you can make an account for free.

How can I show my stuff?
    • Create a free account with Sketchfab

• Upload your model, Sketchfab supports a huge list of formats.

• You can also publish directly to Sketchfab from the Unity editor with the exporter available on the Asset Store for free.

• More instructions on how to export from Unity are available here

Now all you need to do it copy the URL of the model.

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 16.23.58.png

Then in a thread or post click the “add media” button and enter the URL and hit “embed”

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 17.16.51.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 17.17.53.png

Voila! You can view models by pressing the play button while still on the forum thread!

Show us your stuff in this Sketchfab showcase thread

If you find an issue or bug with the viewer on the forums, send me a PM with a repro.

If you have issues with Sketchfab itself, send an e-mail to support@sketchfab.com

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Excellent Aurore! Was waiting for that to happen ;)

Wylaryzel likes this.
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

That is awesome!! =)

4. StarManta

StarManta

...Is it just embedding a (really low framerate, low resolution) spin-around render of the model? Am I misunderstanding something?

For a forum for a company that has 3D webplayers and WebGL code coming out its ears... I'm honestly surprised/disappointed this is not actual 3D.

Unless it is and I'm not seeing it somehow.

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

It is actual 3d. What makes you think this is just a low res render?

(edit) I see - it's a fallback for people without WebGL. Smart. :)

rakkarage likes this.
  6. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Sketchfab is based on WebGL, so if you are just seeing a spin-around low-res render, it probably means you don't have WebGL enabled in your browser :)

Can't wait to see what you guys will upload to the showcase thread!

7. StarManta

StarManta

Ah, that makes sense.

8. NomadKing

NomadKing

Cool stuff Aurore!

9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yeah, I think this is a really nice addition!

10. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

That's too amazing for words. Great job!

11. Kim Muylaert

Kim Muylaert

Wow thanks, this is a really great improvement

12. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Great addition and it works quite nicely for me. :D

13. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Thank you guys for the kind words, we are excited to see you enjoy the addition. Who is going to be the first one to inaugurate the Art Thread? :)

robocognito likes this.
  14. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

This is beautiful and cool stuff,

I just wonder, if unity could embed youtube, vimeo, sketchfab in the forum, why don't we just also embed Unity's own webplayer in forum anyway

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We have discussed internally and continue to do so but it's a little more tricky.

16. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

17. kenshin

kenshin

Unity webplayer embed will be really great!!!

18. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Hello there,

We are excited to announce we just added Oculus support, so now any model you publish on Sketchfab will be Oculus-ready, on top of being embeddable here! :)

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Ohhhh now that's nifty! Currently waiting for Devkit2 to arrive here (whenever may be).

20. DoPie

DoPie

Where i could download the 3d Object inside of the SketchFab.

21. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

You can't. Even if you could, you don't have the rights to use it, unless the author grants you permission (in which case he'll be giving the URL to download it).

the_motionblur, NomadKing and Aurore like this.
  22. DoPie

DoPie

Awts, i suggested to add that features to download, maybe for the free 3D Models Only!!

23. SMG-Studio

SMG-Studio

Some models from OTTTD

OTTTD: Tutorial Level

OTTTD Heroes

OTTTD Horror World

24. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Hi Unity,

Quick note to let you know we'll be at Siggraph previewing the next generation of rendering: Physically Based Rendering - also know as PBR - on the web. With PBR, models materials are more accurate and work great under all ligthing conditions. PBR will be available to everyone on Sketchfab later this year. Check out the demo!

25. Fouty1952

Fouty1952

26. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Is it possible to get the Unity baked shadows exported to sketchfab together with models?

27. fafase

fafase

Is the goal to make Sketchfab an Asset Store as well? Could be nice to have a plugin between Unity and Sketchfab to allow direct downloading into a project (given the asset has the appropriate license and author granted authorisation).

Or was it mentioned already somewhere?

28. Arowx

Arowx

Would it be possible to embed Unity WebGL on the forum, with a similar style screenshot and play button, close button wrapper?

29. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

With the release our new VR button, Sketchfab is now the easiest way to publish and view your game assets in Virtual Reality. It only takes a minute!

Of course Google Cardboard relies on having a mobile device, so there's that to keep in mind. To help you get started, we've created a tutorial on how to create content specifically for VR on Sketchfab.

You can also export your game content to Sketchfab directly from Unity (and other 3D tools) or even attach your 3D content to your Unity Asset Store listings.

Get started today and upload your game content: http://sketchfab.com/upload

P.S. We're working on better Oculus support. Expect news on that in the coming months.

Links

30. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

3ds Max Plugin Updates: Animation Exporter and OptionsOptions

Exporter

The 3ds Max Exporter lets you easily publish your 3d models to Sketchfab directly from the software. It even has robust light baking and texture control features.

The plugin has recently received some huge improvements from developer Klaas Nienhuis:
    • Animation: The exporter now uses the FBX file format instead of OBJ. As a result, you can upload 3ds Max animations!
    • Sketchfab Login: The exporter now uses OAuth2 login. Connecting to your Sketchfab accounts is simpler, safer, and you no longer have to keep track of your API Token.
    • Draft Mode: You can now choose to upload in Draft Mode. This means you can tweak Sketchfab settings and model metadata before sharing the model publicly.

To download the plugin and see more details, checkout the Exporter Page and the Official Documentation.

OptionsOptions
    Klaas has also been working on another 3ds Max project called OptionsOptions, currently in Beta. It uses combination of the Sketchfab Data API and Viewer API to generate 3D model configurator mini-websites based on your 3ds Max scene’s models and materials.

Check out the awesome Maison d'Artiste Sample and try the plugin for yourself: Klaas has provided lots of details on the forum.

31. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

We're thrilled to announce our partnership with Valve Software allowing game developers to embed their 3D game content on Steam, the leading digital marketplace and community for game developers.

How big is Steam exactly? In 2015, users spent around $3.5 billion representing 15% of the global PC game sales for the year[1] and as of February 2016 Steam roughly has 125 million active users with over 7,500 games[2]. So, they’re pretty big.

As of today, Sketchfab is the second integration on Steam after YouTube. Needless to say, we’re honored to be a part of the platform and excited to help the community interact with 3D content in a new way. Today there are hundreds of game studios and thousands of game developers and modders using Sketchfab to share their 3D game content online.

[sketchfab]12e32b8188d741b2979eb520448c1d8e[/sketchfab]
    Dota 2 Item Set: Lord of Decay by vermilionwlad on Sketchfab

You can see Vermilion Wlad’s full set of DOTA 2 workshop armor on Steam Workshop.

How does it work?
    If you don’t already have a free Sketchfab account, you’ll need to create one here. Then just upload your 3D model(s), and embed them by pasting a full Sketchfab model URL, which automatically turns into an embed:

Here are the full guides for each part of Steam:

Pro Tips
    Link to Steam in your Sketchfab model description and add:

• What game it is for.
    • A link to the Steam asset.
    • What props this asset includes.
    Here’s a great example:

Need more inspiration? Here’s some more great examples from game studios.

Tag your game content correctly

Tagging content is important because it helps your work get discovered. It also helps us find and promote you on Sketchfab and to gaming publications like Kotaku or Destructoid.

A good rule of thumb is to add a tag for the part of Steam you’re showing your work on and add a tag for full game name:

Here’s some common tags used for Steam:

• Steam Greenlight: steamgreenlight
    • Steam Workshop: steamworkshop
    • Steam Store: steamstore
    • Dota 2: dota2
    • Payday 2: payday2
    • Dying light: dyinglight
    • Killing Floor 2: killingfloor2

That’s it! Upload your model, add a description, add tags, and drop your full Sketchfab model URL on Steam to embed it. You can also read the official announcement on the Steam blog and find more tips in our Help Center.

If you have more questions regarding integrating your 3D content with Steam or want help marketing your game on Sketchfab, please get in touch. You can email me michael@sketchfab.com, tweet me @RAWRsoft, or message me on Skype at “RAWRsoftGames”.

Game on!

-Michael Calvert
    Gaming at Sketchfab

Footnotes:

[1] Steam Spy

[2] Steam on Wikipedia

32. sujeet007

sujeet007

I'm want to use sketch fab to import and export 3d models from unity to sketch fab and vice versa for export. Sketch fab don't have sample scene how to do it. It's login from unity GUI window which is done through editor, Same i'm doing on runtime after removing unnecessary code from editor to login to sketch fab it not working nor giving any error. Anyone has worked on it or any leads will be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.