Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sketch GUI

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModStoryGames, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Sketch GUI
    Visual GUI Editor

Sketch GUI is the new and improved EWS GUI Editor. Sketch GUI is a complete rewrite of the previous tool, with a heavy shift from GUIAssets as script components to pure code generation. Because GUIs will be purely generated, they no longer rely on the heavy (and sometimes broken) nested SerializedObjects. When you build your game, you will be building normal scripts, not complex asset files.

Sketch GUI has a new canvas, supports scroll views out of the box, and can be used to create in-game and editor extension GUIs. You can see some of the features of Sketch GUI by checking out this Reddit post. Sketch GUI comes with a User Manual that explains how to use the canvas and explains how custom controls can be made, but soon I plan to have a few video tutorials up, if my PC can handle it.

Sketch GUI is on the Asset Store for 30 USD. It has replaced the EWS GUI Editor. The free version of the EWS GUI Editor is no longer representative of Sketch GUI. I have not decided if it will be replaced or removed from the Asset Store yet. It really depends on whether I will have time to make a free version of the new Sketch GUI.

Contact me at eddy.ews@gmail.com if you have questions, suggestions, etc.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3. vonchor

vonchor

I'm interested in this for quickly being able to create edit-time GUI as opposed to runtime GUI. But there's not a lot of info or examples of that sort of functionality, so I have some questions:

1. Can it be used to create custom editor windows?
    2. Can it be used to create custom inspectors with property drawers etc.?
    3. Is it possible to view the documentation somewhere?
    4. Is the source provided?

Thanks

4. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Hello!

1. Absolutely. By default, Sketch GUI is capable of generating MonoBehaviours and EditorWindows.
    2. Sketch GUI does not come with an Editor (Inspector) class out-of-the-box, and does not have property drawer controls, but it can be extended to use these controls and generate inspectors.
    3. You can look at the manual that comes with Sketch GUI here.
    4. You have access to the entire source for Sketch GUI. It's a pretty big collection of folders, so there are several examples to build off.

Some notes;

* Sketch GUI will generate two files for every GUI (one for you to add functionality and one for handling the GUI). Never edit the second file!
    * Sketch GUI only has manual layout controls by default, but you can add automatic layout controls (like GUILayout, EditorGUILayout), but these types of controls are harder to work with in the canvas (you cannot drag an auto-layout control, for example), but will likely need to be included if you want to make Inspectors.
    * Updates are rare these days, as I've moved on to new big projects, so you will see very few updates for awhile. But I can be reached at the support email in the manual if you have questions about specific features, need help implementing a new sketch, or encounter severe bugs.

5. carking1996

carking1996

It might help to show images/video/etc of your asset.

6. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

These are definitely things I should try to get out soon. I'll update once I can.

7. nscyber

nscyber

why don't show tools,No GUI .....loaded

8. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Hello, nscyber. I'm afraid the image isn't loading, so I can only assume you are having trouble getting started. To begin using Sketch GUI, open the file in the package called "Sketch GUI User Manual.docx" and follow the instructions. Basically, you need to select Assets>Create>GUI Asset or Editor GUI Asset in the Project View and drag that GUI Asset into the editor to begin editing.

9. nscyber

nscyber

*0* thank you