Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Skele: Character Animation Tools, Cutscenes and Animations authoring tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TMPxyz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. hopeful

hopeful

I saw Skele moments after it was added to the asset store. But that's because I check the Latest assets in the store every afternoon when they are added (according to my time zone).

The asset store could help fledgling assets take off better if they made it easier to see what all the new assets are. Even with the Latest tab on the store pages and the "recent" search button, it's a bit of extra and unnecessary time and effort every day to keep track of what's new. And even with my diligence, using this method sometimes an asset will slip by me.

It should be that there is a store page dedicated to new and recently added assets. Just click on it and see all the new stuff (not old stuff that's been patched) added in the last X many days.

2. docsavage

docsavage

I recommend having a day off while it's sunday :)

3. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, I used to flip around each section's first two pages, but I cannot do it often.
    I think it would be great if AssetStore could provide something like interest-based push service.
    e.g.: I could subscribe to see orchestra music, animation related, level editor, etc.

Also maybe add some editor pickup of new assets every week. etc.

4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, you're right :)

5. schmosef

schmosef

Wow, This asset looks amazing.

I've been wondering how I was going to add custom animations to some of my models.

I thought I was going to have to contract out the work...

And it's on sale? Even at full price it's a steal!

That was the fastest purchase decision I ever made. Can't wait to dig in.

6. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, schmosef,

Thanks for your support, =)

https://skele.userecho.com/

Check our "Knowledge base/Issue tracker" above, there're many videos and web-demos.
    If you have found any issues or got feature idea, you could mail me or post in there.

7. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, daybreak, I can hear birds now. =)
    Coffee has no effect on me already.

8. Vangald

Vangald

I went ahead an picked this up on sale. I need an elegant animation solution that is affordable and unfortunately most commercial offerings are financially out of reach. The one free option (Blender) I tend to have problems navigating. That said I was curious if this asset works well with procedural animation? And if so would I need Pro to do procedural animation with this asset?

Example:
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2014/05/GDC-2014-Procedural-Animation-Video

9. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Vangald,

I've watched the video, a very nice lecture.

The aspects of procedural animation in this videos are at several layers.
    1. The pre-made animations, like you created with Skele/blender/maya/etc.
    2. The Mecanim layer, all the animation layers, transition, blending, mixing, etc.
    3. Physics, ragdoll
    4. IK

You can see it's related to many systems.
    1. Making animations can be done in many solutions.
    2. Mecanim is mostly free, except some functions such as sync layer, Foot IK
    3. Physics and ragdoll are free
    4. IK is Unity Pro, but there're many IK solutions in assetstore, You surely have heard Final IK.

You could take a look at the Mecanim's material too.

Hope these info help =)

10. schmosef

schmosef

I was just about to post a similar comment to this but @TMPxyz beat me to it.

You would use Skele (i.e., this asset) to create your keyframes and then use Mecanim to wire them up.

In case you are not familiar with Mecanim, watch this video from Unity 2012.

11. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

What the... I've never known that dropbox will block public links if it generates too much traffic.
    I thought it was unlimited before, LOL.

==================================
    Well, it's fixed now.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  12. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

I was eying this before, but the Caramel Dansen dance with Unity Chan sealed the deal for me... oh it's on sale too...

Thanks for fixing the links! Couldn't see it earlier.

13. schmosef

schmosef

I have a question about the mech scene.

I know it's just a gift. Is it supposed to demo anything? Or is it just there to show off the mech models?

I ask because you clearly put some time into setting up the scene but the camera does not seem to be positioned properly. Is there an "orbit" or "lookat" script missing?

14. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Ghosthowl,

thanks for your support .

We were out of quota in Dropbox just now, it has been fixed.

Hope Skele can help you make some great games. =)

15. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Nope, that's just a model show off scene. :)
    I'll re-align the camera in v1.6b update to make it look proper.

Thanks for the feedback.

16. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

The 24-Hour Sale has finished, Thank you people, Thank you very very much !! :D

Now, I'm going to take a 12-hour sleep,
    I used to be able to stay up to 60 hours in college, now staying up 40 hours is nearly killing me. LOL.

17. lukesmith

lukesmith

Hi there, I just wanted to stop by and say a big thank you for the plugin, its awesome!

18. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, lukesmith,

Thanks for your support :)

19. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Our knowledge base contains many useful materials, besides tutorial videos and demos, there're also FAQ from users.

Take a look sometime :)

Best regards

hopeful likes this.
  20. crsteinb

crsteinb

A couple of questions:
    1) where is the mirror tool? Have you made a video demoing this functionality, I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to find it/video showing how to use it.

2) When making locomotion animations using root motion, is there an easy way to move the root bone to sync another bone (such as a foot bone) from one key frame to another based on the bones current frame transformation? I am having trouble syncing up my foot bones when moving the root bone so currently my model looks like it is drifting/floating.

3) Is it possible or difficult to add the ability to set a bones position/rotation explicitly. The inspector window only shows the skinned mesh objects transformation properties and the bones are not selectable in the scene hierarchy while in edit mode. I feel that it wouldn't be too problematic to extend the editor to add a position/rotation/scale fields like the inspector window has but I was wondering if they already exist and I'm just missing them?

Also as a programmer type, this has been a useful tool to inspire me to make more 3D based games since I don't have to learn another 3D tool. So thanks for that!

Regards!

21. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Hello,

I finally made the purchase during the sale and I was wondering, I know it saves Unity animations, but what about animations that aren't for cutscenes, but rather for gameplay? Such as, I have a human model I purchased online, it was not rigged or animated, but I did that part. After importing into Unity and with use of Skele I animated a walk animation, how do I save that animation to play when the user presses 'w' during gameplay?

22. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, ChadM,

Thanks for asking =)

Indeed, Cutscene authoring is the advanced usage of Skele, the basic usage of Skele is to create/modify standard animation clips used in gameplay.

In another word, you could use the clips created with Skele just like how you use the clips created with external software (blender/max/maya).

About the usage of clips with Mecanim Animator, let's take a simplest case:
    upload_2014-8-14_9-42-15.png

You could make "idle" and "forward" clips, set them in the model's animator.
    In animator add a 'Forward' bool parameter , which is controlled in your script ( e.g.: set it true when 'W' is pressed, set it false when 'W' is released )
    Make the two transitions between 'Idle' and 'Forward' states, triggered by your 'Forward' parameter.

If you need more detailed and in-depth explanations on Mecanim system, check the tutorial sections, you will get a good grasp on the concept and method about it.

Hope these info help, =)

If you ever find any issues or have some ideas, you could always post in our Knowledge base, in this forum thread or directly mail me.

Best regards.

Attached Files:

23. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Skele v1.6a package is online in assetstore now.

1.6a (Submitted on 2014/8/9)
    NEW: AnimCurvePropEditor, new function to change "transform path" of all curves which share it.
    FIX: DaeExporter, scale and float precision bug.

As this update is submitted before we found out the packing error, so you still need to apply this fix after update. Sorry for the inconvenience brought to you =[

The packing error is going to be fixed in v1.6b update recently.

24. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, crsteinb,

Thanks for your feedback, :)

1. The mirror tool is in the Menu Item 'Window/Skele/Anim Mirror Tool',
    As the tool is currently only working with models that is skinned in a special manner, I want to refine it a little more to make it available to more models, before I create a video to introduce it.
    Hopefully it will be put into the v1.6b update.
    ( if be more specific, it requires symmetric skinning and all the left/right bones to be symmetric to their local Z-axis and Y-axis, erm...this is kind of difficult to explain, I'll make a specific video for this tool later)

2. about the root-bone and foot sync-up
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I've been suffering from it too,
    I've seen possible solutions like the "footsteps editor" in max or other tools, maybe I would add it later.

3. That would be easy task, I'll add it recently.

Hope it can help you in your new works, be sure to share your screenshot or demo with us =)

Best regards, Be creative.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    crsteinb likes this.
  25. angel_m

angel_m

Hi,
    What are the specific tool features about IK?
    In a third person shooter, it is posible to make the bone with the gun follow the mouse (in Mouse Look) for aiming and shooting while the animations (Legacy) are preserved?

Thanks in advance

26. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, angle_M,

Thanks for asking, :)

Skele doesn't provide Runtime IK support. You could check InverseKinematics or FinalIK.
    However you could have a look at CCDemo0_HeadCtrl.cs, there's a IKRTSolver you could use.
    You could see how the hand follows the mouse in CutsceneDemo0;

Runtime IK is not officially a part of Skele though.

Hope this info help.

Best regards.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  27. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

This is a short video explaining the two methods of making camera animations.

red2blue likes this.
  28. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Got this great asset :), i have a few questions

1. Are animations added to the FBX ? So they work like Legacy ones ?

2. I use Legacy animation system, if question 1 does not apply, can i simply add the animation in the animations list and use it like the other ones ?

3. Will this work in Legacy animations that are derived from a single timeline, split for each Legacy animation ? (without separate FBX to hold each animation case)

Excuse if my questions seem simple, i did not have the time to test the asset yet and would be quicker if i had some general idea on the above :)

I cant wait to use the facial animation feature too, this will be so cool

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  30. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, nasos_333,

Thanks for asking =)

1. The animations you created are stored in your project, not in FBX,
    If you want to create an archive file, use our DAE exporter, it could export the mesh and animation to DAE archive, you can then use the archive to transform between Legacy/Generic/Humanoid type.
    Also if you wish to, you could take the DAE to your external software like blender / maya / max / etc.

2. You could directly create Legacy/Generic clips, the clips created with Skele can be used like any clips contained in FBX archives.

3. You mean the clips contained in a FBX file, and you split them by hand? They're no difference except the clips in FBX archives are READ-ONLY.

Drop by our knowledge base sometime, there're many useful materials, videos, web-demos, FAQ, etc.
    You could start with this page for a overview

If you have found any issue, post in our Issue Tracker within knowledge base.

Best regards, Be creative

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the answers, really cool to know.

I can integrade easilly as it seems, i will import the asset in my main project today :)

32. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Great, if you have any question, you could just ask me in forum or in mail.

33. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

@TMPxyz Thanks for answering my questions, the two new pieces you have done have even more so enlightened me on the powers of Skele. Probably #1 plugin for Unity I have bought. Ah, need to add my review on the asset store!

34. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, ChadM,

Thanks for your support, =)
    Hope Skele can help build your great game.

Be sure to drop by our knowledge base sometime, you could check out many useful materials, and add question/issue/idea there.

Best regards.

35. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Skele v1.6b has been submitted to the assetstore, if things go smoothly, it will be online around Aug. 20th.

1.6b (Submitted on 2014/08/16)
    CHANGE: Animation Clip Mirroring Tool: works on all 9 combinations of (XY/XZ/YZ)*(XY/XZ/YZ) skinning types;
    CHANGE: Make compatible with Fluidity Asset;
    NEW: AnimMirror scene: let users to test Animation Clip Mirroring tool;
    NEW: CutsceneDemo: Waiting 4 Godot;
    FIX: ImageBaseEffect error on import;

I'll make a video later to introduce the "Animation clip mirroring tools", which is used to mirror the animation keys of your model along the X-axis.

The new cutscene demo post above is included in this update.

36. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

A valuable experience from user's feedback.

37. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

This is the introductory video for the new Animation Mirroring Tools.
    It's updated in v1.6b, in v1.6, it only supports YZ/YZ type rig

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  38. saucer78

saucer78

Apologies if this has been covered, but I'm short on time.

I purchased Skele while it was on sale, but am scrambling to learn so much so quickly that I am curious to know if/how well it can plot camera or object paths alongside rigged animations.

I'm looking at a program such as Camera Path Animator, but would like to know if it will be redundant to the capabilities of Skele.

To be precise, I'm looking to animate a flying dragon throughout a large terrain. From what I've gathered from my skimming of Skele, it will have no problem animating different actions of the dragon, but can it easily plot a complex flight path for the dragon to follow, including trigger points (if this is the correct terminology) to change the animation of its wings, etc?

Thanks!

39. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, saucer78,

Thanks for asking =)

If I don't misunderstand you, basically that would be move the dragon model around above the terrain using an animation clip, and make hover, flap, dive animation in some point?

if that's the case, it would be quite basic usage.
    If you have the model and don't mind I make a public demo, I could make a demo with it for you.

Best regards, Be creative.

40. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Well, I don't have a decent dragon model at hand, so I just take a robot as replacement to make this video;
    You can see there're only a few keys on dope sheet, which means the workload is negligible. Indeed it takes only two minutes to make this.
    I think you may need to make a few more animations, like dive, flapping wings, fire breathing, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  41. saucer78

saucer78

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, that looks like it will work. I am still so new I just didn't understand if an animation package like Skele would only handle the rigging and movement of characters while they stayed in one place, or if it also handled their motion around a scene on the ground or in the air.

I will begin learning Skele this week and check back in with some examples of what I accomplish.

Thanks again :)

42. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You're welcome :)

43. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Skele v1.6b is online in store now. Be sure to upgrade :)

1.6b (Submitted on 2014/08/16)
    CHANGE: Animation Clip Mirroring Tool: works on all 9 combinations of (XY/XZ/YZ)*(XY/XZ/YZ) skinning types;
    CHANGE: Make compatible with Fluidity Asset;
    NEW: AnimMirror scene: let users to test Animation Clip Mirroring tool;
    NEW: CutsceneDemo: Waiting 4 Godot;
    FIX: ImageBaseEffect error on import;

IndieScapeGames and red2blue like this.
  44. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

45. saucer78

saucer78

Hello again TMP,

I have watched several of your Skele tutorials on YouTube and am getting a better understanding of how the system works, but am a bit overwhelmed with information that seems to touch on everything but what I am trying to do.

You were nice enough to post a video of a robot model flying around a scene, but I am still at a loss as to how this is accomplished. I have learned to animate the bones of a character and animate the camera around a character, but have not figured out how to make a character actually move around a scene.

If you have the time, could you post a bit of a tutorial for making a character fly a path through the air?

Thanks so much!

46. lukesmith

lukesmith

Hi,

Is there any way to to select multiple bones and IK them at the same time?

Any chance we could see a future update with this?

Thanks,

47. schmosef

schmosef

I was watching some old videos on Unity's YouTube channel and I stumbled on this:

It's surprising how similar it is to the video you linked but it looks like it was developed over 5 years ago.

It's available in the asset store here: http://u3d.as/content/runevision/locomotion-system/4dr

And there's more info on the project here: http://runevision.com/multimedia/unity/locomotion/

As I understand it, it was done as a Master's Thesis by someone who now works at Unity.

If you're not liking Mecanim, you can use this instead (with Skele, of course).

TMPxyz and hopeful like this.
  48. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

This one looks quite interesting, I need to investigate a little further.
    Thanks schmosef ;)

-----------------------------------

Holy, if I don't misunderstand the video,
    it means, if I made only one walk-forward animation, then I automatically get:
    1. all direction walks (back, strafe, any 2D-direction)
    2. rotate walk
    3. foot-IK on uneven surface
    4. leaning according to slope

also, it has a in-SceneView blend-tree.

Well, I'm not sure the runtime cost of this for now, but I think I will definitely give it a try soon.
    Schmosef, really great of you to find this. :D

You see it from Unity's youtube channel? I think I need to browse it sometime too. =)
    -----------------------------------

Oh, it's based on Legacy and doesn't support mecanim, that means I will lose the support of Animator statemachine... but this one really provides something great...
    Anyway, I think I need to give a try and find out the pros and cons.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    hopeful likes this.
  49. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

I plan to add multiple bones manipulating in FK mode.
    But multi-IK links? I cannot quite imagine how to control it.

Is there any videos that give me an reference on how to control that?

50. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, saucer78,

Take a look at this video and see if it helps. =)
    This video utilizes native animation functions only.

Best regards

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    IndieScapeGames likes this.