Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Skele: Character Animation Tools, Cutscenes and Animations authoring tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TMPxyz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. msl_manni

msl_manni

At least, its not a coding problem.:rolleyes: Or you have to alter the code to only send the specific bones for each type.:eek:

I was refering to your above comment. "IK pin would use another group of IKSolvers" - are there any other places where IKBones are being drawn? Is Ik Pin also drawing IKBones?

I will be doing tweaking in the morning. :)

2. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, IK pin will use a list of IKSolvers.
    you could check Line 404 section.

3. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

v1.5 has been submitted to Assetstore.

1.5 (Submitted on 2014/07/13)
    NEW: BindPose Fixer
    FIX: Cannot select bones until RMB click after mouseUp outside scene view window
    FIX: SkinnedMeshRenderer's blendshapes show up as Element0, Element1
    FIX: Issues of DAE exporter when the name of model's bone has space inside.

The new bind pose fixer enables you to adjust a skinned mesh's bone's pivot position and orientation, without changing the current skinning result.
    for example, you could make the upper arm's local X-axis or Z-axis to point to the elbow according to your need.
    Or you found the bones for fingers are not fit in the right position, you could fix them with this.

After applying your changes, the editor will prompt you to export as a model. This is optional, to prevent your change be reverted by later re-import of the original model.

Beware that you should execute this before making animations. As changed pivot will make existing animations appear in different ways too.

4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Thanks to Reslav point it out, I realized that I didn't process the root motion convert & export in the right way.
    So I fixed that. the patch will go into v1.5b

The picture shows that: from the far to near
    1.Humanoid Robot with muscle clip
    2.Generic Robot with generic clip generated by converter
    3.model and anim exported as DAE ( root motion curves combined with curves of root bone )
    4.Humanoid Unity-chan with muscle clip
    5.Generic Unity-chan with generic clip generated by converter
    6. model and anim exported as DAE (root motion curves put on root bone)

Animation from raw mocap data assets

t04.gif

5. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

v1.5a is online in store now, it adds new BindPose fixer and fixes some issues;

I've just submitted v1.5b to assetstore, should be in store by 7/20, it fixes the rootmotion issue for MuscleClipConverter and DAE exporter in prev post.

6. hopeful

hopeful

7. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

lol, yeah, in the free market, no one can stop competition.
    Competition could encourage better products too.

MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  8. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Wow this is one of the better assets I've bought! Great timing for what I need at the moment - 5 stars :)
    This is great that I can tweak anims without forking out a fortune on the anim packs on the store! I'll show you guys a small cutscene I'm playing with in the next few days.

9. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Eyehawk,

Thanks for your support, Glad you like it. :)
    Looking forward to your creative works.

10. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

WOW, Blender is great! it's running blazing fast on my 3yrs old laptop and take much less memory.
    the first step of learning curve is a little steep though, when you get familiar with the hotkeys, it boosts efficiency greatly.

This model is rigged and textured, I'll put it as a TIME-LIMITED present for my old customers,
    it will be available in the v1.6 update and be removed in the v1.7.

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is a very interesting addon... I am wondering how you could use Skele to do things like dismemberment, and particle triggering... I did look at the video about model switching, so I may have some ideas there. Could I use Skele to create an offset for animation, such as performing a fatality with a taller character on a shorter character...? this is pure gold.

12. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Neptune_Imaging,

1. by dismemberment, do you mean, e.g.: the hand cut from arm?

Well, You just need to move(not rotate) the bone of hand away from the bone of arm, the hand will look cut away from arm. You could add some physics effect for the hand bone to make it look more real.

However, it requires that when you do modeling, the hand and arm's meshes should not be connected.
    You could look at the Robot Kyle 's hands for a example.

If you're looking for free-form slice, you need special extensions like this

2. particle triggering
    Nothing fancy here, our old friends animation events are always at your service.
    If you're using muscle clips (humanoid rig-type clip) or read-only clip, our built-in tools can make all kinds of converting for you. Ensure you have editable clips to add all animation events you need.

"Muscle clip" ===MuscleClipConverter==> "Generic/Legacy clip"
    <==DAE exporter========

3. a fatality with a taller character on a shorter character
    If you make animation with a taller one and a shorter one, then it will work smoothly.
    You could look at the clips of "Resident Evil", "Assassin Creeds", "Dead space" on youtube, they have A LOT of such "killing blows", with different sizes of enemies.

Or, are you meaning make only ONE clip and apply to all sizes of enemies? I don't recommend you do so.
    Imaging how a back-stab animation could work on an adult, a child and a godzilla, :)
    if the enemies sizes are within a small range, maybe you could utilize IK to make some small adjustment during runtime. But the result would not be better than pre-made animations.

You could also design your actions like Resident Evil 4/5, they have punch/kick killing blows which don't require the mutual positions be perfectly fit.

Hope these can help. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I would also have to do model swapping on the fly for this to happen. My murdered prefabs have internal organs that spill out.

14. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

So you want to spill out the internal organ of the enemies,

there're two methods of impl. I can think of,
    1. model the organs with the body but detached, bind the organ to a 'organ' bone, and throw it out when necessary,
    2. make the organ as independent prefab; spawn and throw it out at right timing.

if the organ cannot be seen in most time, I recommend method 2.
    if the organ can be seen in most time ( e.g: zombie ) and you want to save drawcall, use method 1;

15. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

Skele v1.5b is online in assetstore now.

Well, it makes the rootmotion right for MuscleClipConverter and DAE exporter,
    So if you need to use these functions, be sure to upgrade. : )

The picture shows that: from the far to near
    1.Humanoid Robot with muscle clip
    2.Generic Robot with generic clip generated by converter
    3.model and anim exported as DAE ( root motion curves combined with curves of root bone )
    4.Humanoid Unity-chan with muscle clip
    5.Generic Unity-chan with generic clip generated by converter
    6. model and anim exported as DAE (root motion curves put on root bone)

Animation from raw mocap data assets

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I can see myself doing this... it is a lot to consider...

17. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, Hope to see your great work and prototype soon
    If you have any tech-related questions, you could discuss here, I'm always interested in other developers' ideas and techs about their games. :)

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was thinking of having the slide out naturally like using softbodies so they look squishy... I remember seeing a video of procedural dismemberment and how gross it looked, don't remember what it was called. I was looking at turboslicer, but I also need to generate the gore as well... in some of my deaths, the skin is dissolved to the bones, or some really nasty crap happens... I can't wait to try all of these out. Can I also sync the animation when I swap out the models?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  19. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Wow, you're really up to some horror game : )
    Talk about skin dissolved to the bones... you mean the skin dissolved and left only the skeleton? that's cool effect.

There's blend-in/out time setting. It works like in "Dark souls", you could see the back-stab action blending at 3:00 position.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm making a game like Mortal Kombat. But far more gory

21. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

FTG game, yes? Are you going to make camera fixed angle like StreetFighter or variable angle like Tekken?

If it's FTG game, then the character number in stage should be quite small, and I assume it's PC platform? then you don't need to worry too much about drawcall, that would give you much freedom.

22. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

It is a 2.5D fighter, and it will be a fixed angle. Right now it is for PC, but would love to have it on XBOX ONE, and PS4 someday.
    And the price is not bad for your tools. :)

23. dxmachina

dxmachina

I'm having an issue after import of Skele into my project. I've tried to re-download and import to be certain but the outcome is the same, running the latest release version of Unity on Mac OS 10.9.4

I'm seeing the following errors:

Assets/Skele/Scripts/Cutscene/Dialog/UGUI/CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs(66,42): error CS1061: Type `Options' does not contain a definition for `m_Prompt' and no extension method `m_Prompt' of type `Options' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Skele/Scripts/Cutscene/Dialog/UGUI/CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs(66,23): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.GUILayout.Label(UnityEngine.Texture, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' has some invalid arguments

Assets/Skele/Scripts/Cutscene/Dialog/UGUI/CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs(66,23): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEngine.Texture'

Assets/Skele/Scripts/Cutscene/Dialog/UGUI/CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs(70,53): error CS1061: Type `Options' does not contain a definition for `m_Options' and no extension method `m_Options' of type `Options' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Skele/Scripts/Cutscene/Dialog/UGUI/CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs(109,38): error CS1061: Type `Options' does not contain a definition for `m_Options' and no extension method `m_Options' of type `Options' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Any thoughts?

24. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

If you got Steam-greenlit, I would like to give a support. :)

and XBOX? I used to hear that the XBOX dev tools cost $10K.
    Man you're really up to big.

25. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

OSX? oops, I don't have a Mac, give me a second.
    I need to take a check on code.
    =======================================
    This doesn't make sense...
    Ugh... Could you do me a favor to check if you have a class named "Options" in the Global namespace?
    Or, please start a new project and import Skele and see if the same error appears.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  26. dxmachina

dxmachina

Okay... imported Skele into an empty project and everything looked okay. Then re-added a bunch of additional software one by one until I got to the culprit:

Adventure Creator (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11896)

Probably a namespace conflict as you suspected.

So what would be the best course of action here?

27. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Ahhh... Adventure Creator, again... It seems he has a lot of namespace issues...
    I'll give the author a message and hope him could fix it in next release.

Meanwhile, ugh... you could temporarily change all occurences of "Options" to "OptionsX", only 2 places to change:

Assets\Skele\Scripts\Cutscene\Dialog\CC_GUIDataTypes.cs, Line19
    public class Options --> public class OptionsX

Assets\Skele\Scripts\Cutscene\Dialog\UGUI\CC_Unity_SelectDialog.cs, Line 16
    public Options m_AllOptions; --> public OptionsX m_AllOptions;

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

XBOX ONE has an Indie program...

29. dxmachina

dxmachina

Thanks for looking into it! I may just do some work in a separate project until both play nicely.

Much appreciated.

30. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,
    the author of Adventure Creator has replied my message and said he will fix it.
    So it's likely Adventure Creator will have it fixed in next release. :)

31. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Interesting, I'll take a look.

I heard a story years ago, that some indie dev for xbox refuses to fix a save/load bug, because they cannot afford the Microsoft QA fee.

32. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

An example of making character animation with prop:
    1. the gun is attached as child GO of right hand;
    2. click the 'B' button on UI, the bones of gun will be displayed, and we could manipulate them too.

This animation clip contains both character actions, and the gun's slide animation;
    ( you can see keys of "Armature" and "Upper" in dopesheet, they belong to the gun )

t06.gif

33. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

As unity forum limits the picures and links number in one post, the first post can no longer add new pictures or youtube links now.

So I have opened a new support forum on UserEcho, which is equipped with an issue tracker.
    I have put the first post's links all into the new knowledge base in UserEcho for easier management.

34. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

A screenshot of the time-limited gift models incoming in v1.6 update.

All models are rigged and textured, you could use them as some new test subjects.

Mechs.jpg

35. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

Skele v1.6 has been submitted to asset store, if things go smooth, should be online around Aug. 9th;

1.6 (Submitted on 2014/08/05)
    NEW: Animation Curve Property Editor (Thanks to Mithos56's suggestion)
    NEW: Animation Clip Mirroring Tool (Adapted from Marko's mirror tool, Thanks, Marko =) )
    NEW: PivotRotation mode : Parent
    GIFT: 6 low-poly mech models and several other props (v1.6 only)

I was going to add bone paste-mirror functions for editing tools, but time was short, so it will be added in v1.6a or v1.7

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  36. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

In v1.6 update, we introduce the 'Parent' pivot mode, it's useful when edit clip with curves.

Pivot mode decides the coordinate system we display the handles.

Global: in world coordinate system
    Local: in selected bone's local coordinate system
    Parent: in selected bone's parent's local coordinate system.

37. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

Skele v1.6 is on AssetStore now, take a update :)

The 'Mechs' directory contains six v1.6-only gift models and several props,

Remember to make a copy of the 'Mechs' directory out of the 'Skele' directory to prevent unexpected deletion from v1.7 update.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  38. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

It has been asked that how to merge several clips into a composite one, and how to tackle the transform path error when directly copy and paste animation keys.

In v1.6, we added the new AnimationCurveProp Editor to help you merge clips and edit many other properties of multiple and single curves. update and check it out :)

39. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

Skele v1.6a has been submitted to assetstore, it should be in store around Aug. 12th

1.6a (Submitted on 2014/8/9)
    NEW: AnimCurvePropEditor, new function to change "transform path" of all curves which share it.
    FIX: DaeExporter, scale and float precision bug.

40. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Our 24-Hour sale is on, Come on and take a look!

Asset Store Page

41. johny

johny

Hey,

So basicly I have a humanoid mechinim animation that has no root motion making it useless for my controller. Can I use skele to apply a root motion and the still use it in my mechinim character controller, or will the animation only work in legacy after the edit?

42. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi,

Skele could convert the animation between Humanoid and Generic/Legacy rig type.
    You could convert this clip into Generic, edit the clip and give it a root motion.
    if you want to use it in a humanoid controller, export the clip with our DAE exporter, then change the animation type to humanoid as usual.

Hope this can help =)

43. fooberichu

fooberichu

Just picked this up and installed. The package also imported Standard Assets / Image Effects (Pro Only)/_Sources/Shaders/MotionBlur and Image Effects (Pro Only)/MotionBlur.cs... but causes an error that 'ImageEffectBase' could not be found. I saw you submitted and are awaiting 1.6a and perhaps that resolves some of this? Were those intended to be imported? It doesn't appear to be referenced by any of the demo scenes so I've simply removed it for now.

44. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

MotionBlur is referenced by several demo scenes, however It's not required, you could remove it.
    but it's Weird, I should have tested in an empty project before submitting and no error gets reported.

v1.6a has added a new function and fixed an issue in DaeExporter. nothing is related to the post effect though.

Could you tell me your OS and Unity version? meanwhile I'll check it again.

45. docsavage

docsavage

Hi TMPxyz,

I am having the same problem as fooberichu. I bought the asset about 20 minutes ago.
    I am also having trouble locating the editor window. I have searched but it seems from your manual that it should be easily visible.

Using windows 8.1, unity 4.5.2f1 Free version

Thanks

ps. looking forward to using the product. It looks like it is just what I need for my project

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  46. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, docsavage and fooberichu,

It looks like AssetStoreTools really doesn't pack the ImageEffectBase which is referenced by MotionBlur.cs into the package.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I shouldn't just rely on AssetStoreTools to collect references.

Fortunately, the ImageEffect is just Unity Pro only post effects, It's not required for the system to work.

So, you could just
    1. remove the "Standard Assets/Image Effect (Pro Only)" directory;
    Or
    2. Import the "Standard Assets/Image Effect (Pro Only)" package..

I'll surely fix the reference problem in v1.6b.

47. fooberichu

fooberichu

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Unity Pro 4.5.2f1. I *could* import the whole Image Effects package, but just haven't needed (and don't think I'll need) it in my current project.

Btw... this was pretty prodigious timing for the sale on this asset. I wasn't even aware something like this existed but just yesterday was wondering how the heck to edit some animations on a model I purchased. They provided a Blender file for it but I haven't ever worked with any 3D tools aside from the stuff built into Unity, so I was pretty daunted by the task.

Lo! Your asset is on sale today and exactly what I needed.

48. docsavage

docsavage

Hi TMPxyz,

That fix worked a treat. Thanks for your quick reply and help :)

49. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, I have been troubled by how to reach my asset to the potential users, it looks like posting in forum and twitter not help too much. =[

I even considered to try Google ad, didn't really do it though.

Anyway, hope my extension can help you. =)

If you ever find any issues or have any feature ideas, you could post here or post in the UserEcho forum (http://skele.userecho.com/)
    I recommend UserEcho, it manages thread and ticket in a better way.

50. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You're welcome :)

I have already prepared enough coffee tonight for quick reply, LOL.