Search Unity

Skele: Character Animation Tools, Cutscenes and Animations authoring tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TMPxyz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, vidjo,

1. edit animations in FBX
    expand the fbx in unity, you could see the animation data, use Ctrl+D to duplicate a copy and edit it.
    The video 1.4 Modify animations from FBX files demos the process.

2. edit muscle clip ( well. this looks like the official name )
    There're three kinds of clip, Legacy, Generic and Muscle.
    You could directly edit Legacy / Generic clips , for Muscle clips, you need to convert it to Legacy/Generic clip with our MuscleClipConverter first.
    The video 4.5 Convert Muscle Clip to Legacy/Generic Clip demos the process.

2. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, there,

v1.3 is accepted in store now.

If you have Adventure Creator installed, I strongly recommend you to upgrade.

1.3 (Submitted on 2014/06/15)
    NEW: Convert root bone's movement to RootMotion used by Animator;
    CHANGE: Rename TransformData to XformData to avoid name conflict with Adventure Creator;
    NEW: CCDemo2
    NEW: PlayDemo0

If you're interested in RootMotion, you could have a read of this thread :
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/make-root-motion-in-animation-clip.250723/

3. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Although you might have been familiar with these, I'll still post it here in case.

Some useful tips for controlling camera in scene view.
    • rotate the view: Alt-LMB.
    • rotate the view around the selected object: click F to focus on selected object, then use Alt-LMB to rotate around it.
    • pan the view: MMB or Alt-Ctrl-LMB
    • zoom the view: mouse wheel or Alt-RMB

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

RootMotion is quite handy, I used a lot in the Play_Demo_0, e.g.: forward/backward/HeavyPunche/HeavyPunched

Here is the video demonstrates how to make root motion for animation clips with Skele.

4.6 Make RootMotion

5. SupremeBeing

SupremeBeing

Does this require Unity Pro?

6. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, SupremeBeing,

No, It doesn't require Unity Pro.

Some demos use Motion Blur which needs Unity Pro, if you don't use Pro, you will not see the blur, that's all.

7. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice pack, i will surly buy it soon for my project, will definitly speed things up

Some questions

- Will Unity 4.3.4 still be supported ? I read that "Tooltips" will be removed to do so, is this version available ?

- Is the pack available in another store where Unity 4.3.4 version can be downloaded ? Otherwise i will have to install new windows, install Unity 4.5.0, to get the pack working on Unity 4.3.4

- Can i save the animations and use them as i would a pre-defined one in the legacy system ?

Thanks

PS. I cant upgrade to 4.5.0, because i want to keep support for Unity 4.3.4 for my Particle pack

9. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, nasos_333

- U4.3.4 will still be supported, I'll update a new version next week to tackle the "Tooltip problem" for u4.3.4, if you want to use current version with U4.3.4, you just need to remove 6 [Tooltip("xxx")] snippets in CutsceneController.cs.

- Nope, Skele is not available in other web stores yet, wow, I have never thought about that.

- The animations you directly create will be aimed for Legacy and Generic rig models, if you want to create an animation for Humanoid rig model (Muscle Clip), you need to use the method in

4.2 Workaround for Humanoid Keyframing Forbiddance

If you want to edit Muscle Clip you could use convert them into Legacy/Generic clips with
    4.5 Convert Muscle Clip to Legacy/Generic Clip

Also, I have made a new exporter recently to export the mesh and animations into dae archive, so you could convert it to any one of Legacy/Generic/Humanoic, will be included in next update.

10.jpg

Hope these info could answer your questions, if you feel anything need further clarification, just tell. :)

ZJP likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice, thanks :)

Seems very powerfull and is very cool to have it directly in Unity

Another question, you think when i buy it, you could send me the pack in an email, to avoid installing Unity 4.5 to download it ?

11. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hmm... The code pack at my hand is quite messy right now. if you don't want to manually fix the code, I think maybe it would be better to wait for me update it, should be in store in next week, I'll make it compatible with u4.3.4 out-of-box.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

The problem is that i cant download it at all with Unity 4.3.4, i dont mind waiting at all, in fact i will buy the pack a bit later, not right now, since i am still making the combat in the game and the characters refinement is next on my list

13. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

oh, that's fine. If you could wait for the new version, I could send the pack to you by mail.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok thanks, when i get the pack i will contact again for the email :), and provide the invoice pdf.

15. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

Does the asset on the asset store now come with both TBM and TCD?

16. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, ChadM,

Sure. Both included.

17. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

According to the Unity AssetStore policy, when we publish assets, we cannot include 3rd-party paid/free assets in the pack, That's why I excluded the source files for demo 1.5 / 2.1 / 2.2 / 2.8 from the pack and re-made demos with clean resources.

However, some developers requested the source files for 2.2, and I think it should not be counted as "policy violation" if you just download the free assets yourselves and I provide the animations and code.

Here I post the needed resource for 2.2, and the instructions on how to make it run ( if you really are interested in that demo )

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  18. msl_manni

msl_manni

I would like to know some things before I buy.

1. Work with some other rigs, like Dragons, snakes. fairies etc.

2. Export easily to .dae or .fbx, to be used in max.

And the roadmap for this product also.

I am really interested in purchase of skele. Need some video tut to see how easy it is to use ik/fk in skele.

19. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, msl_manni,

1. Skele works on ANY rig, stick, flag, dress, human, dragon, ghost, whatever. as long as it's skinned mesh.
    it just manipulates the bones, and has no assumption of the bone-structure or mesh.

Unity has three rig-types: Legacy/Generic/Humanoid, if you wanna stick to the humanoid rig-type, you need use the method shown in video 4.2, or use my dae exporter (in next update) to transform the animation into humanoid type.

2. I'm working on a dae exporter right now, things are messy on animation export for multi-mesh models, but I should be able to put them into this update.

3. roadmap? hmmm... I have a todo-list at hand though.
    Basically, I will add features into Skele based on what I need when making my games, also from users' requests.
    in recent updates,
    • at editor side, I'll add usability improvement and mirror mechnism,
    • at runtime, jiggle bone,
    There're still much improvement place for cutscene system, need to have more functions and user-friendly.

Other bigger plans will depend on situations.

P.S. I'm going to make some new video tutorials after I finish this update

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  20. msl_manni

msl_manni

I am skeptical about the purchase.
    1. wait for videos.
    2. just purchase it.

Cant seem to decide. :eek::rolleyes::)

21. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

No need to jump to conclusion. :)

You could just wait for the update and decide based on that.

msl_manni likes this.
  22. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

I've just submitted the v1.4 pack to assetstore.
    If things go smooth, it should get online around 7/5

1.4 (Submitted on 2014/07/01)
    NEW: DAE exporter (use this to convert Legacy/Generic clip to Muscle clip)
    NEW: multi-part mesh editing
    NEW: Camera focus on bones and rotation
    NEW: Make camera "move slower" in SceneView
    CHANGE: make compatible with unity 4.3.4
    FIX: IK Pin frequent updates
    FIX: GUI disappear when switch to IK with rootbone selected

I'll make several tutorial videos tomorrow to cover some new functions and for some requests from users.

Best regards, Be creative

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  23. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Models may consists of multiple meshes, use the multi-mesh editing function to edit them altogether.

Here is the video to demonstrates how to do that.

24. msl_manni

msl_manni

Are these videos also available on youtube or are downloadable?
    Can you add some audio to them, please?

Thanks.

25. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Unity Editor's scene cam is moving kind of fast for small models, use 'Slower Camera' to make it easier for editing delicate parts like fingers and facial animation.

Here is the video to demonstrates how to do that.

26. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

These videos will all be indexed in the first post of this thread.
    Some long videos are also posted in youtube. you could check them out in my youtube channel.

You could download the videos in Dropbox by changing extension from '.html' to '.mp4'
    e.g.: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1126224/Skele/22/22.html ==> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1126224/Skele/22/22.mp4

Audio? You mean BGM? Are there free classical tracks like youtube? I would like to add some if there are.

27. msl_manni

msl_manni

Audio - your comments. like - What are you doing and other concerned things.

Not BGM..........

28. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

It's common action to focus and orbit around bones when editing animations .

Here is the video demonstrates how to do that.

29. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

For advanced users, Dope sheets and animation curves prove to be very useful tools. However when there're tens of curves around, how to efficiently find :
    1. the bones corresponding to selected curve;
    2. the curve corresponding to selected bone;
    This video demonstrates how to do that.

Thanks to CrazeDevelopment's suggestion.

30. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Oh, I see.
    Nah, I'm in a public library now, cannot make vocal narration.

31. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You could use the new exporter to export the model and animation into DAE archive. then you could convert the animation clip from Legacy/Generic to Muscle clip(Humanoid clip) with the DAE archive.

Well, you could also import the archive into your favorite modeling software for further editing.

This video demonstrates how to do that.

NOTE: I've confirmed that Blender has a strange behavior, when import, it will convert the mesh node under Armature into a bone. Max and Unity don't have such problem.
    I GUESS this is a bug in Blender importer, hope some blender guru could tell me if it's blender bug or Collada standard.

Whatever, if you stick to Blender, make sure to put all SMRs and MFs beside (NOT under) the bone GameObjects when export.

32. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

oops, one post can only host 20 images and 5 youtube links.
    guess I should make a index page in external site.

Made a Quick overview of basic control on request.

33. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Made a new Cutscene Tutorial about QTE on request.

As QTE has many variants, click in time, click on time, click as many times as possible, etc. The built-in component provide "click in time" type QTE.
    The component's main interface is very simple, if you need new type, just extend one.

34. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Can you publish your videos on Youtube?

35. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, ZJP,

You could check out my youtube channel. Most of the videos have a copy there.
    It's a pity that I cannot host the web-demos in youtube too.

36. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

Skele v1.4 is online now.

Be sure to upgrade if you stick to unity 4.3.4.

Also,

With the new DAE exporter equipped, we can finally form the circle.

( Legacy / Generic ) ==> via exporter ==> ( Humanoid )

( Humanoid ) == via MuscleClipConverter ==> ( Legacy / Generic )

This exporter is still fresh new, so if you find any issues when use it, be sure to tell me. :)

skele_14.jpg

ZJP and MoonbladeStudios like this.
  37. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

- Can you please add a hotkey for Reseselect End Joint?

- Can you do a video explaining for example animating the Unity Dude, but with audio explanations how you are animating.

- How can I disable your automatic camera? This just gets in my way.

- Can I mirror IK?

I have been having some difficulties. I got it going and was animating and then somehow it stops remembering the movement I made when switching back to IK, even though record is on.

This could really turn out to be a great product for editing my Mixamo animations.

- Another great feature would be, as soon as I Edit a movement in the Editor, the Animation window should get the focus automatically. This would mean I can use the hotkey (,) and (.) to move through the animation without always clicking back onto the Animation window after every change. Are keys then set automatically?

All the best

Chris from Germany.

38. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, eagleeyez,

1. when there's an IK link established, press 'ESC' would enable you to reselect End Joint.
    There's a 'H' button on the GUI, clicking that will pop up a shortcut list. if you want to know any shortcut, you could check that.

2. Maybe, but I'm no sure if people could tell what I'm saying. I will consider it.

3. what do you mean 'automatic camera'? You mean the camera reset when you start editing?
    I don't have an option for that yet. you could disable it by comment out Line 648 in SMREditor.cs.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void _OnStartEdit()
    2.     {
    3.         SkinnedMeshRenderer smr = (SkinnedMeshRenderer)target;
    4.         //EUtil.AlignViewToObj(smr.gameObject);     /* THIS LINE, put '//' at the very front like I do */
    5.         ms_CurSelectedGO = smr.gameObject;
    6.         ms_SMR = smr;
    7.         EditorApplication.update += OnUpdate;
    4. I've not added mirror system yet. will add it later.

5. Are you editing a Humanoid-rig clip (Muscle clip) ? Unity Animation Window don't record keyframes for humanoid-rig models as Unity doesn't use bones for muscle clip at all.

To make animations for humanoid-rig models, check videos 4.8 or 4.2, I recommend use 4.8.
    4.8. DAE exporter for Animation

4.2. Workaround for Humanoid Keyframing Forbiddance

To Edit Mixamo animations ( Muscle clips ), check video 4.5,
    4.5. Convert Muscle Clip to Legacy/Generic Clip

6. As long as the recording is on, every change in models is recorded as key.
    I'll check if your idea will conflict with Unity's other systems, if not, I'll add an option for that.

Thanks for your feedback, I could make some new modifications from that :)

Also, most of these videos are on my youtube channel, webdemo cannot be uploaded there though,

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    ZJP likes this.
  39. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply. :cool:

40. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You're welcome :)

41. msl_manni

msl_manni

I find it odd, when in Ik mode, all other bones are hidden. I would like to see the whole skeleton.
    How can I change code, to see the rest of the skeleton too, in IK mode.

And also, how can I start/add a new animation to a model which has pre made animations. It just starts editing already created animation.

Can IK script be used in runtime also. Like aim towards the target. I see that there is a demo also in Skele. So how would I use it for Aim targeting, foot placement, or Pony tail and so on. An explanation would really help. Thanks.

42. ZJP

ZJP

Good question.;)

43. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, msl_manni,

1. Show only the IK link would give you a better clearer view, I recommend you keep it that way.
    But if you really want to have a try,

change the SMREditor.cs line 370 section:
    15.jpg

2. About create new clip
    Click the clip name on Animation window, and click the [Create new Clip] menu item.
    16.jpg

3. use built-in IK solver in runtime
    Nah, I don't quite recommend you use it in runtime.
    Without a proper constraints system, unless you're using it in simple scenario like in this demo, you will have a good chance to see bad pose sometime.

If you want to try anyway, check CCDemo0_HeadCtrl.cs

init IK solver in Start()
    m_Solver = new IKRTSolver();
    m_Solver.SetBones(m_PlayerRightHand, 2);

set a Vector3 target pos and call Execute whenever you want IK link to reach target.
    m_Solver.Target = hitpos;
    m_Solver.Execute(m_IKWeight);

44. msl_manni

msl_manni

Thanks for all the answers explained in detail. :cool:

I know about bad poses and I will take care about it. :)

I also bought .
    Simple IK has constraints, but it does not have reach parameter. I will try to adapt code of both to my needs. ;)

45. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Wow, if you do succeed in combining them, be sure to tell me okay? :D

46. msl_manni

msl_manni

I suppose, you can do it better and faster.;) Why don't you give it a shot? :rolleyes: :)

All the bones show, but can the IK effected bones have a different color? Would help see IK effected bones. Will the following work?

Code (CSharp):
    1.  _DrawBoneConnections  
    2. {
    3. if (IKBones)
    4. Handles.color = Color.green
    5. else;
    6. Handles.color = Color.magenta;
    7. }

And also make selecting a new bone for IkEnd easier and not the way it works now, press esc and select new bone. It should be on the fly selection or probably if 'ctrl' is pressed then we are in bone selection mode.

And for some reason, I don't get menu item "create new clip". Maybe a unity bug.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  47. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

The new feature list is reaching for the ceiling now, and I have a game to make.
    So I intend to take out those most important and easiest features first.

IK is an important system, but it took quite some time and pain in my previous attempt, so I'm a little cautious on that, especially when short in time, need to arrange time more effectively. :D

-----------------------------------------------------

Hmm, I could take your suggestion as a option method in later update.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure, never seen that before, if you find out how did that happen, be sure to tell me, I would write it down in the knowlegde base pages.

48. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Yeah, the code segments have grasped the idea, but need ensure it work in several cases, like IK pin would use another group of IKSolvers and check for null.

49. msl_manni

msl_manni

Make the following changes to SMREditor to see all bones color.magenta and Ik bones in color.green.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private static bool IKBones = false;
    2.     #endregion "data"
    5. Line 360 :
    6. else
    7.             {
    8.                 //B.2.1
    9.                 Transform rootBone = null;
    10.                 Transform[] bones = null;
    11.                 _GetBonesArray (out rootBone, out bones);
    12.                 _DrawMarkersForBones (rootBone, bones);
    14.                 Transform[] IKLnk = ms_IKSolver.GetJoints();
    15.                 IKBones = true;
    16.                 _DrawMarkersForBones(IKLnk[0], IKLnk);
    17.                 IKBones = false;
    19.                 _DrawMarkerForIKTarget();
    20.             }
    23. Line 2348 :
    26. if(IKBones)
    27.                     Handles.color = Color.green;
    28.                 else
    29.                     Handles.color = Color.magenta;
    And I think I can work with 'esc', just need to adapt the habit of it.

Can you point me to sections where I will have to make those changes?

50. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

oh, You draw the IK Bones again at last with green, good one, I think it's okay, won't be performance problem. ;)

You mean use Ctrl+LMB to select IK end-joint?

Check _SetSelectedJointByEvent()