Search Unity

Skele: Character Animation Tools, Cutscenes and Animations authoring tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TMPxyz, Apr 16, 2014.

1. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, BlankMauser,

All rigs have IK support, no special treatment needed.
    As long as the model is skinned, you can use IK on a stick/flag/rock/ogre/human/house/chest, whatever.

Best regards, Be creative,

BlankMauser likes this.
  2. ProtoZero

ProtoZero

Hello TMPxyz!

I appreciate your response to my feedback on the Asset Store page, it really shows that you care about your asset and its users! To recap, I have been trying to make animations and use the Pose Manager using Skele on my character to create animations for a first person shooter game. Moving my character into position works beautifully, but when I create a pose in the pose manager, after typing a name and clicking ok, Unity starts throwing errors and Skele becomes unresponsive. The error is as seen in this screen shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf3cr57b28852eq/Screenshot 2015-03-25 23.21.34.png?dl=0

The other strange issue is that when I try to make animations with the character just like in the tutorial on YouTube with the warrior character model, the model gets moved immediately to a different location than the main character game object, separating the two and changing the model from its default pose. This could all be due to some ignorance on my part, but I have spent a work days browsing online documentation and watching tutorials to no avail. In your comments in my review, you suggested that I provide the model so you could reproduce the error, so I'm linking the asset bundle for it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkfqam593gm72cb/characterWithError.unitypackage?dl=0

If you can help me understand how to avoid the error, whether it be some fault of my own or some discovered glitch, I would be most grateful, because assuming I could save my poses, your asset would be a life saver for me. I'll definitely be revising my rating as well, just out of gratitude for your customer service.

3. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, @ProtoZero,

Thanks for your feedback,

1. PoseManager:
    With the skeleton you provided, I found that the error messages are caused by that there're 3 "crosshair" and "shootpoint" in the hierarchy.
    Basically, my assumption was all bones should have distinct names, and each bone in the pose is stored with name as the key, that's how they're stored on the disk.
    However I think your usage of attaching multiple weapons on the hands are quite reasonable, so I decide to change to use the full transform-path as the key instead. ( e.g.: Root/Arm_R/Hand_R/Pistol/shootpoint )

As long as you don't have two transforms sharing same path, all will be fine.
    This fix will be included in next update, should be online tomorrow.

For now, you could either change each crosshair to "crosshair_A" "crosshair_B", or wait a while for my update to take care of that. =)

The pic below: with the update applied, the pose with multiple "crosshair" will be fine:
    upload_2015-3-26_16-45-50.png

2. the warrior model
    I cannot reproduce the "teleport" issue on Win7+Unity5f4(Dx9).
    As I don't have Win8(?), I cannot tell if it's OS specific.

I will get the latest warrior model from assetstore and make a double-check and tell you how it goes.
    upload_2015-3-26_16-56-46.png

EDIT (Apr.04th):
    @ProtoZero
    The "teleport" seems to happen if you're working on Humanoid-rig models;
    Unity Animation View doesn't do with Humanoid-rig models, need to convert to Legacy/generic rig;
    Please check these posts for solutions:
    1. How to edit Humanoid clips
    2. Best workflow to work with Humanoid models

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    ProtoZero and hopeful like this.
  4. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Developers,

I have just submitted the v1.8.0 beta2 update, it fixes some issues found in v1.8.0 beta1.

===========================================
    1.8.0b2 (Submitted on 2015/03/26)
    FIX: build issue on MorphProc;
    FIX: MeshMarker should respond to "R" button of MorphProc;
    FIX: PoseManager uses full TransformPath to replace transform name as the key in dictionary;

OnePxl likes this.
  5. ProtoZero

ProtoZero

Wow. Your response time is amazing!!! Your logic in choosing the bones as the key is really solid, I feel like I should have considered that. Using the full path seems fool-proof though (I'm the fool of course ^^), and I'm extremely grateful for your efforts and customer service. I'm giving you a 5 star rating and recommending your Asset to everyone I know. I'll be sure to feature you on my project's website in my next blog entry as well! Do you have a website or other products that I can purchase and recommend? :)

2dchaos and TMPxyz like this.
  6. dibdab

dibdab

ok, what now. what button to press to move the mesh points.
    will need some more info how to work with the mesh morpher.
    unfortunately the playground scenes crashed on me.
    ok, I see.
    so it's W (move) E (rotate) R (scale) buttons

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. OnePxl

OnePxl

This brings up an interesting point, what about users with track pads, or pen tablets, or a mouse without a middle mousebutton?

8. mvesich

mvesich

I just started using Skele, but really like how fast I can get into the animation or pose and get my work done. I am trying to learn better ways to optimize my time. The videos are very helpful and I'm documenting my custom processes from the vids, a great start to my project. So Thanks!

Anyway, I welcome anyone replies from the forum with ideas. I'm trying to find a better way to optimize my workflow. Hands are a real bear. Is the anyway to restrict movements of the joints? In the real world, the 2 knuckles of each finger (and toes) only move in 1 axis in relation to the previous knuckle. It's the base of the finger attached to the hand (toe to the foot) that can move in 2 axis, but not 3. Anyone have any processes or is there a method I don't know about within Skele to open/close hands without having to reposition each knuckle? This is a killer as far as time goes and I'm concerned I am also introducing some rotational errors as the 3-axis adjustment does not seem to align to the bone, but the environment.

If it helps, my avatar is imported from DAZ3D, so the bones align to the Skele usage without issue.

I'm also wondering if this would make a reasonable add-on to Skele. (Certainly something I would pay more for.) That is, a simple control panel with sliders (Hand open/close, toes open/close.) Even being able to apply "natural" rotational limits to the bone structure would be amazing!

9. hopeful

hopeful

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  10. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, dibdab,

These new two tutorials will explain all:
    The first is for MeshMorpher, the second is for shape-animation;

Tell me if you find anything not clear;

P.S.: You could fold the collider in the inspector, so the green lines will be hidden in scene view.

11. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Haha, that's a good question :)
    but let me try to analyze it:

about the tablet:
    I have a wacom tablet, and the pen has 3 customize-able buttons so can alleviate this.
    I remember UGEE tablet has such functions too.

about the mouse:
    I haven't seen a mouse without MMB for a long time, even on $2 mouse there's MMB now.
    So I think this wouldn't be a problem.

about the trackpad:
    Nah, nothing we can do with it. Just like you cannot play RTS with a joystick.

12. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, ProtoZero,

Thanks for the kind word, I really appreciate it :)
    Currently this is the only asset I'm working on.

I hope it be helpful for your project.

If you find any issue or have suggestion for Skele, just tell me via mail or forum;

13. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, @mvesich,

That's a reasonable suggestion of constraints system.

After the shape-animation system finishes beta phase, I'll try to investigate and integrate it into Skele package.

Thanks for the feedback, :)

14. mvesich

mvesich

15. hopeful

hopeful

Both of those assets I listed were released within the last week or two, so they've not been out long. The first seems to be mainly a rehashing of what's in the mecanim importer, while the second is more of an IK solver plus poser.

16. OnePxl

OnePxl

I have been using Wacoms instead of a mouse for years; the pen has two configurable buttons, and my tablet has eight plus a scroll-ring. Unfortunately, none of the signals of the scroll-ring correspond with a scroll-wheel of a mouse. So while you can fake a middle mousebutton, you can't fake a scroll-wheel (on Mac).

The Apple Magic Mouse does not have a middle mousebutton, for one.

That precludes anyone with a laptop (and no mouse).

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if you had keyboard alternatives to actions tied to the scroll-wheel and middle mousebutton. Please consider adding those. Thanks.

17. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

It's hard to assign the common shortcuts without conflict, but I'll consider your point for sure.

I personally quite like the blender scheme, I was at first considering to use MMB to replace the Alt+LMB as "rotate around pivot" :)

Anyway, currently there is no functions in Skele package that's exclusive to MMB and wheel, the "zoom in/out" function on wheel is also tied on Alt+RMB.

18. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Another example of using MeshMorpher to animate like something is pushing through a tube.

chelnok likes this.
  19. AaronF_GRC

AaronF_GRC

Just bought Skele a couple days ago. It seems like a great asset, but I can't get it to work correctly with any models rigged using Mixamo's auto-rigger. Limbs spin unnaturally (sometimes wildly, spinning completely around multiple times) into position from keyframe to keyframe, instead of taking the correct paths. The problem seems especially pronounced with lower leg bone rotations. This only seems to be happening with Mixamo rigged characters, though. I've tried it in both Unity 4.6 and Unity 5 with the same results.

20. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, AaronF_GRC,

Thanks for your feedback, :)

It looks that you're using euler interpolation, it grants you good control of animation curves but could sometimes stun you with unexpected excessive interpolations.

I recommend you use the Quaternion interpolation, it's a little restrictive but it guarantees that the rotation takes shortest path and not go wild with more than 360deg.
    upload_2015-3-29_22-57-9.png

When you need better control with curves, try using Euler interpolation.
    You could use more keyframes to control the excessive interpolation or manually tweak the curves like +/- 360deg on the keyframes.

21. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, developers,

Skele v1.8.0b3 has just been submitted to AssetStore, it would be online soon if things go smooth;

1.8.0b3 (Submitted on 2015/03/30)
    PERF: Shape-anim, remove GC alloc;
    PERF: Shape-anim, only updates when mesh is rendered;
    PERF: Shape-anim, only updates vertices which are really changed;
    USE: Ctrl-LMB will not be blocked by handle;
    FIX: editor handle position when morph-proc updates;

This update mostly focuses on performance.
    In order to reduce memory usage and to-update vertices count, I rewrote the data-structures, which caused shape-animation made in 1.8.0b2 to be invalid.

22. hike1

hike1

latest version installed. How do you make animated water like in your cylinder morph video?

23. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, hike1,

Check the video below,

24. jrDev

jrDev

Hey TMPxyx,

So I saw your videos for Mesh Morphing and I want to say how impressed I am with this. I was trying to figure out how I would do something like this without using bones in my 3D software but didn't know where to start on how to bring into Unity and here Skele has it being done INSIDE Unity! :D

Fantastic!

Thanks,
    jrDev

25. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, JrDev,

Thanks for your support :)

And by the way, if you're working with Blender too, here's a brief tutorial of how to make shape-key in Blender:

1. in object mode, add two shape keys by clicking the "+" button;
    upload_2015-4-1_10-6-48.png
    2. set key1's value to 1;
    upload_2015-4-1_10-8-52.png
    3. enter edit-mode, modify your mesh;
    upload_2015-4-1_10-9-56.png
    4. done, export the mesh into FBX archive and use in Unity;
    upload_2015-4-1_10-11-10.png
    upload_2015-4-1_10-13-41.png

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  26. OnePxl

OnePxl

Blendshapes created in Skele are exactly the same as normal blendshapes then?

27. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, OnePxl,

No, they're two different things.

Current workflow is: Skele MeshMorpher editor will generate the shape data, which is then executed in custom MonoBehavior;

MeshMorpher(editor) ======> shape(data) =====> executed in MorphProc(MonoBehaviour)

After Unity5 equips the new Blendshape API (No idea when yet), we could have another workflow:

MeshMorpher(editor) ======> shape(data) =====> converted to Blendshape

So we'll have two available options to choose later then,

Best Regards, Be creative,

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  28. Vorren

Vorren

Is it possible to rig characters via Skele?

29. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, Vorren,

Currently we don't have the feature of rigging,

Also I would like to know:
    Do you mean to do manual skinning like in 3D softwares or auto-rig in Mixamo?

30. Vorren

Vorren

I was thinking about manual skinning. Auto-rig is more of "bells and whistles" kind of feature, but bone creation and mesh skinning is much more essential.

31. OnePxl

OnePxl

I'd love manual rigging, too. I use Silo for modeling, but it lacks bones.

32. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

@Vorren @OnePxl

Interesting, I will take a look at it.

And, what do you usually use for skinning? envelop, automatic-weight, weight-paint?

33. novello_io

novello_io

Hi TMPxyz - im just wondering if I can use Skele with a nonskinned rig, and if so, how? I only see how to bring up the Skele stuff with a skinned mesh renderer.

My use case is that I have these voxel type characters and I've just built the rig out of transforms in Unity. But I want to animate them with IK (they have 3 joints for each arm and leg. So far I've done everything in Unity, so I'd like to avoid having to do the IK in a seperate 3d package and I was hoping skele could help :)

It seems like this should be possible?

btw this is a pic of my rig. You can see that the meshes are just children (0,0,0 local pos) of the "bone" transforms (all set up in Unity). And I just keyframe animate the bone transforms in Unity dopesheet right now. This works fine, but I think legs/arms would be easier with IK.

TY!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  34. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, JesseAlexander,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Maybe I misunderstand your character setup, but it seems to me that the character is built up by 30+ independent mesh-filters?

If that's the case, as Skele bone-manipulator needs the SkinnedMeshRenderer's bones to work with, it cannot work with this setup now.

By the way, if not setup properly, this character might need 30+ drawcalls for one character, which is VERY performance-unfriendly, so I strongly suggest you skin this model.

35. novello_io

novello_io

Hi TMPxyz -

To be clear the meshes aren't the ones being animated. They are just children of the rig I built inside of Unity.

But yeah currently on that model its about 22 different mesh pieces. They're all from the same material (if you have a matching set of armor on).

We have an RPG type armor system where you can equip different kinds of armor into 4 slots which changes the meshes. Currently this is Helmet, Armor (chest and arms), Gloves, and Leggings. And right now it swaps out the appropriate mesh pieces when you put on new armor pieces.

The thought was that since our characters don't need traditional "skinning" that we could do all our rigging and animation in Unity and it would be quick for iteration, and bypass the external 3d program.

But you're saying we will need to create a rig in Blender or some other 3d program to use Skele? I had hoped the nature of Skele would prevent needing to use an external 3d application for assets. I'm a bit confused. If we need to Rig/Skin in Blender anyways, what is the advantage of animating with Skele inside Unity? (As since the model is already setup in Blender we could animate there?)

Thanks,
    Jesse

36. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, JesseAlexander,

Ah, I see what you're up to here, paper-doll equipment system. So your character is made of many individual parts and no bare model underneath. Hmm, I think it's okay too.

Completely removing usage of external 3d application would be a task kinda huge, even adding rig, there're still modeling/unwrap/texture/sculpture/etc.
    Skele currently provides the workflow improvements after the rigging & skinning parts, which you would find out on the first page or store page.

Anyway, SMR is still required for Skele to work, but you could try using the method below to work with the custom rig.
    (MeshMorpher could work on non-skinned mesh, but it's for vertex animation, not skeleton animation)

(1) Use a minimum SkinnedModel, (download the attached DummyRoot.fbx or make one yourself )
    (2) attach the custom rig under the Root bone;
    (3) Be sure to toggle on the "B" button on Skele GUI;

upload_2015-4-11_20-37-8.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    peanutgallery likes this.
  37. metaphysician

metaphysician

FIrst off, thanks so much for a fantastic and powerful tool. I just recently purchased this and it seems like it'll be great for me to work with.

I do have an issue though...i'm trying to see how you can morph between two existing static rigged character meshes of identical vert and tri count. all of the demos i've seen so far are using a mesh and then creating a morph in editor with it as the deformed version of that mesh. i'm exporting two static models from Daz, not Blender, as an FBX file. so i'm wondering if its possible to do this in Skele? it seems like it should be no issue, but since you don't have a video tutorial for that and no written documentation at the moment, i'm a little confused as to how to deal with it. do you have an example you could share?

i have dabbled in Blender so if this isn't possible is it possible in Blender to take two static rigged FBX exported objects imported into Blender, make a shape key to morph between them, and then export that to Unity? i'd prefer going straight from Daz if i could, and not spending any more money on the Asset Store if i don't need to for things like Mega-Fiers+Mega Daz or Daz People, etc. i've used a very simple and free script which morphs between any number of static meshes, but for some reason it's not working on my two meshes which are admittedly quite high poly (about 20,000 verts or so).

------------------------
    also - i'm nowhere near any kind of professional animator but i wanted to add my opinion on the alternate controls. i'm using a trackball with no MMB and no scroll wheel, on a Mac. i seem to remember that i can use both buttons down at once and move the ball to get scroll wheel emulation. but having key control of everything would be quite handy.

anyway thanks again for your awesome work!

best,
    scott

38. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, metaphysician,

oh, I see what your mean, you're trying to create another shape from another mesh here. It's a pity that's not available in Skele now.

I'm not familiar with DAZ, but I can show you how to do it with blender though.
    You can refer to this Blender wiki page, "Join as shapes" part;
    Assume you have two fbx models: A & B; (they should be deformed from same mesh)

1. import them both to blender.
    2. make a basis shape key on A;
    3. select B then A, click the "Join as shapes", the B's current shape will be added to A;
    4. export A as FBX, and use in Unity;

upload_2015-4-22_10-36-4.png

( I used to see some cases that blender didn't import complex fbx correctly, I wish you luck =) )

--
    Thanks, I got it. I will also take the Mac device into account when assign the control scheme later :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  39. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

40. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Love this tool! A great addition would be dynamic joints/chains for simulating capes or ponytails.

41. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, BlankMauser,

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks Unity itself already has the necessary tools to setup ponytail by this article,

Tell me if you find it too complex and I might consider to add an utility for that later. =)

=======================================
    Just taken a try with Unity-chan myself,
    http://i.imgur.com/HMfbolA.gifv <== see the ponytail in action (one joint)
    http://i.imgur.com/yadzL5V.gifv <== (two joints)
    upload_2015-5-11_12-3-45.png

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  42. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

A video indicating how to build a custom rig with GameObjects and edit it like skinned mesh;
    An demo of #486 post.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    peanutgallery, hopeful and chelnok like this.
  43. PicturesInDark

PicturesInDark

Hi TMPxyz!
    I am having problems with unity 5.00f4.
    1) When i récord cutscenes, its ok in animador player. But when i run scene, cceditor object becomes inmediately destroyed and noting appears in game window except grey screen.
    2) button startedit never appears in any skinned mesh, so i never can animate e model.
    Why this problema in unity 5?
    In stored said unity 4.55 por above

44. cjrussel14

cjrussel14

hi,is there a way to move or rotate the pivot point of skinned mesh

45. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, cjrussel14,

Do you mean to modify the pivot of a bone or the pivot of the whole mesh?

46. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, PicturesInDark,

Thanks for your feedback, =)

I just double-checked with Unity5.0.1f1, It works well here,
    video: http://i.imgur.com/eGHcku2.gifv

Could you take a look at if there's compile error in your console window, it might happen if you named some class like "Action" in global namespace (conflict with .Net)

The default action is "destroy the GO" when cutscene is done, so it's normal it got deleted when animation is over,
    You could change it to "deactivate" if you want to reuse and play it multiple times.
    upload_2015-5-26_0-37-41.png

47. cjrussel14

cjrussel14

hi,when i ''move'' the body parts of my character instead of ''scale'' what should i need to delete in order for the animation to work base on my modified mesh?

48. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

Hi, cjrussel14,

Animation will work as long as the specified bones exist, so you don't need to delete anything.

Are you trying to lengthen a limb like this? Just moving the bone will do.
    lengthen1.gif

49. ksam2

ksam2

Hi. I have a question. Can I edit my character animations files from iClone with this asset? I mean I use iClone to create my character animations now I need to know can I edit them with Skele asset?

If yes can you address me how can I do that? because I can't figure out how we can edit my character animations inside Unity.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  50. PicturesInDark

PicturesInDark

Hi newly TMPxyz:

Nothing appears in console window except a warning.

In the skiined Mesh renderer appear Instance ID and Local identifier in file.

Hope you can help me!
    Thanks
    skinned.png