Search Unity

Size of City Model (A part of Berlin)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ansiaries, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ansiaries

ansiaries

Hello everyone.
    I have a problem regarding size of objects.
    I have a Collada format city model. when i add it in Unity i can visualize the model in side viewer(first screenshot)

but when i add it in main camera. i cannot see it (second shot). I change to scale factor many times with different values but nothing appears. Please tell me what could be the issue.

Please tell me what could be the error. I am new user of Unity.
    Thanks

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Have you tried just double clicking it in the Hierarchy to focus on it?

3. MadJohny

MadJohny

Check the import settings of the model, for some reason some times import at the size of 0.01 or something like that, change it to 1 and it should be fine

This isn't optimal because it would make the camera zoom a lot on the model, which would amke it harder to control since it would move a lot more than it should.

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Or hover your mouse over the grid with the city selected in the hierarchy and press "F". If you expand "sr2" are there meshes in there? One thing I would suggest is to break your city into multiple meshes as well. If there are buildings that are going to use the same material you could take advantage of batching, but more importantly you can take advantage of occlusion culling. If you are using one giant mesh for your whole city then Unity won't be able to cull buildings that are too far away and / or out of sight.

5. ansiaries

ansiaries

yes i double click but nothing happens

6. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Link to file download?

Deleted User likes this.
  7. ansiaries

ansiaries

for import i just copy/paste the model into the assets folder in project. at what place or menu i could make settings ?

8. ansiaries

ansiaries

9. ansiaries

ansiaries

yes the city is already exploded. each building is a separate object i think. But strange thing i notice is the orientation of the buildings. all are 90 degree tilted. As in the picture below.

10. ansiaries

ansiaries

if you need any other format i can give you. like .obj .skp .xml .3Ds .dwg .dxf .wrl

11. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I can't get it to work in Unity nor Blender, however photoshop shows the full mesh. I think it may have a scaling problem.

Deleted User and ansiaries like this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

there seems to be something wrong with your file. If I import your collada file into blender the same behaviour is shown. ( Mesh not visible but objects are there [ in hierarchy] )

ansiaries likes this.
  13. MadJohny

MadJohny

Once you import a model click the model file inside the unity editor, the import settings should popup on the inspector window

14. ansiaries

ansiaries

yes
    it also open perfectly in Rhino
    but
    what could be the possibilities regarding scaling settings in Unity

15. ansiaries

ansiaries

for these import setting i tried all Rotation, Position and Scaling but not successful

16. MadJohny

MadJohny

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, send me a pm with your skype name and I'll see if I can help okay?

ansiaries likes this.
  17. ansiaries

ansiaries

18. antiReady

antiReady

I never used collada files for anything and I didn't open this file either .. so this is just a wild guess. Does the format itself have limitations such as vetex/face count (65k barrier)?
    That could be a possible cause why its working in some programs and not in others - depending on how they interpret the format.
    Scale/rotation could just be faulty export settings when the file was made. Had that problem loads of times with obj files -.-

19. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Its not the scaling, but the position. The polygons are about 6000km away from the origin so you get floating point errors and unity won't be able to focus on the mesh.

20. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Just to point out a detail, one of the screenshots from your editor is displaying the following error: "Unable to open Assets/srs2.dae : Check external application preferences".

Sounds a lot like you exported the model containing some errors. These can be either settings for the file or problems with the model itself.

The rotation problem is a normal thing, not all 3D modelling programs and game engines got the axis rotated in the same directions.