Search Unity

Size of an Android game

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by herbie, Sep 18, 2013.

1. herbie

herbie

I think I'm doing something wrong.

I'm building a 2D Android game. It's a kind of a puzzle where every level is a new scene. When you cleared a level, you go to the next level (next scene) with Application.LoadLevel.
    When I go to the Build settings and select just one scene, the apk file is about 7.7MB. When I select two scene's (two levels) the apk file becomes about 8.2MB.
    Every time that I add a level in the Build settings, the apk file will increase with about 0.5MB.
    My intention is to make about 100 levels, so 100 scene's. But then the apk file will become over 50MB.
    I think that's far to big for an Android game.

Is this the right way to build a game?

2. shinichi88

shinichi88

There's nothing wrong with apk file over 50MB
    If your game are truly huge, then 50MB is worth.

Some heavy game can reach 2 GB!

3. Akshay_ROG

Akshay_ROG

GTA 3, a decade ago phenomenon and roots for many game-play features and narrative style, has 1GB install and 450MB download requirements. you shouldn't bother size but the gameplay, it's an old saying : a game can as big as 13 GB or more but can't beat a 1.5 GB game's gameplay.

4. Parallel_

Parallel_

2 and 13 GB on an Android!? I don't know herbie, I'm curious too, but those two replies seem off.

5. Akshay_ROG

Akshay_ROG

On android or PC, Concern shouldn't be the size but the games awesomeness else there would have been no 20GB COD or 35GB MaxPayne-3 or 36 GB GTA 5! or Asphalt 8: 1.53 Gb, Real Racing 2: 1.02 GB and NOVA3: 2.4 GB. Just make games you'll be known by them not size!!!

6. herbie

herbie

Thanks for reply.

By the way, I have reduced the size a lot by making more prefabs.