Search Unity

Size and positioning based on screen width and height

Discussion in '2D' started by bil_unity967, Feb 12, 2020.

1. bil_unity967

bil_unity967

Hi,

I'm used to program games based on the screen width and height.
    What I do for portrait games is calculate the size of a sprite based on the width of the screen.
    Example: I need a square taking about 1/18 of the screen. I just make the sprite width a screenSizeWidth /18 for both width and height.

In was Unity it was hard to find how to get screenWidth and screenHeight based on screen size.
    But I found out and here is how it is done
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector2 topRightCorner = new Vector2(1, 1);
    2.         Vector2 edgeVector = Camera.main.ViewportToWorldPoint(topRightCorner);
    3.         screenWidth = edgeVector.x * 2;
    4.         screenHeight = edgeVector.y * 2;
    Now I can use that on gameobjects using localscale
    For the example of 1/18 I can do new Vector3(screenWidth/18, screenWidth/18,gameobject.transform.localScale.z)

Now I'm trying the same on a UI text. It also needs to scale to the same size of screenWidth/18.
    But when I use localScale it fails. When I use deltaSize. It fails.
    When I use Screen.width as base instead of the self calculated worldPoints screenWidth. It still fails.

I tried canvas elements in both Worldspace and screenspace.
    I fail....

I just need to put a text of the same size of the box. Just above the box. The box is a gameobject. the text UI.

Anyone that can help me on this?

kind regards
    Bil

2. Primoz56

Primoz56

Use canvasscaler object and it will handle resizing/scaling for you. Then you just assume one fixed size screen eg. 800x600 and do everything based off that

3. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

Using the Canvas you shouldn't need to do any manual scripted math. RectTransforms are positioned relative to their parent object. If your Canvas has a CanvasScalar, then it will resize to fit the device screen based on the settings. If your button is a child of the Canvas, you can have the button's RectTransform change relative to the screen size. This is done using the Anchors on the RectTransform component.

https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/ui-components