Search Unity

'sitching code' New unity user looking to set up scripts, learning fundamentals.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ithinkimst0ned, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ithinkimst0ned

Ithinkimst0ned

First off as I've come to understand JS as a coding language, and unity with all of it's assets is just pure framework. Most of the coding functions are built in so you don't have to mess around with it too much. Can somebody tell me where to start learning most of these "functions" I don't have much programming experience But say, you wanted to apply force to an object, there's a code snippet for that, as there is for everything else, correct? Have these things been subcatagorized in a user friendly nature?

Secondly, thank you so much for reading any of this to begin with. I've heard people say there's no real way to go about coding a game in unity, as to say everyone has their own way of writing code.

So if I was to want a script to start write away I'd use an update right?
    If I wanted something to happen because of that update how would I 'call it?'

Is there a way to stitch together these events you make?

I'm lost in all of this and I've read tutorials and I've been given codes and prefabs but all I really want to do is start coding so there's some integrity in my game, as I can't just throw together a bunch of prefabs, how did you guys learn to code?:confused:

2. Loius

Loius

Unity's official tutorials are a GREAT way to start with Unity. (they're hidden under Support; Lerpz is a pretty good all-rounder).

Unity's Script Reference has become my personal bible as long as I'm coding in Unity. ;) Each function has a short snippet exampling how to use it. When I first started out I just skimmed the whole thing, looking at function names to get an idea of stuff.

Unity Answers (up at the top; click 'Answers' next to 'Forums') has had basically every question asked at some point; search for your question and you'll probably find the answers.

Remember capitalization is important - Update, not update.

Trig and calc, algebra and geometry are very helpful maths skills. You don't have to know the numbers so much as how to get at them - if you know what the function is called it's that much easier to find it.

3. hima

hima

If you are new to Unity, following Walker Boys' video series is really going to help you
    http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

It's all free as well. Just follow it up to the second game ( the space shooter) and you should be ready to continue doing whatever you want by yourself.