Search Unity

Singleplayer vs Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by joshcamas, Mar 13, 2018.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

I'm just starting to look into the networking systems into Unity, and I have a question.

When the player is in "singleplayer mode", is the easiest way to manage this just to still have a network manager and everything, but just have only a server/client (host) and no remote clients? That sounds logical to me at least.

Thanks!

Josh

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah unfortunately UNET's HLAPI doesn't have a built in single player mode. What you said is an idea others have suggested in other threads to work around the lack of that feature.

3. joshcamas

joshcamas

Woah... That's actually really crazy...
    But okay, I'll look around :) thank you

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I remember reading that Photon has a single player mode. Don't quote me on it, but it may be worth taking a look.

5. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

It does, and you don't need to make any changes to your game to account for single player vs multiplayer, it's very handy. In single player mode, all network commands, RPCs etc. succeed even without an internet connection active.

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

Can you switch from single to multi on the fly?

7. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I believe you have to select single/multi player when not in a room i.e. you haven't started a session, but you might want to check the docs to confirm that.