Search Unity

Singleplayer and Multyplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Din, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Din

Din

What do you think guys, would it be right(simple), to make a full game, and only then add multiplayer, or should I start with multiplayer? If so, why?

2. rik338

rik338

Sounds this might be you'r first project. Maybe take something more simple than multiplayer.

3. TehWut

TehWut

contrary to popular opinion (just visit Collaboration)
    Single Player is
    much
    easier to do than Multiplayer. I would add multiplayer either when you are finished with it or are very experienced with game development, networking, and programming.

4. konkol

konkol

Bad idea. Multiplayer affects all ascpects of game. Therefore must be introduced at the very beginning.

I suggest start from floor and two CharacterControllers. Then create basic multiplayer mod so two players can control one CharacterControler each. Be sure that both players are seeing the same on their screens, assuming that information from one computer travels to another - lets say - one second ( can be simulated ). When its working add basic save game system. And now you have foundation to start your game.

5. JRavey

JRavey

Adding multiplayer later is a very difficult task compared to just getting it in there from the start. Making a multiplayer game for your first project is quite ambitious.

6. TehWut

TehWut

I wasn't really directing my response to the proposition that he should implement it later but whether or not it's simpler to do singe player instead of multiplayer (which I'm still quite convinced is easier than creating multiplayer, even from the start).

7. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I made a single play game once and it had very complex code. Adding multiplayer to it after the end was very difficult so I ended up giving up.

My current project has been singleplayer and multiplayer from the start. Much easier this way.

Though for a first game I would suggest single player as it is much easier to code a solid single player game rather than a hack prevented authoritative multiplayer game. Maybe with high score boards on the single player game to polish it.

2.0c

Peace,

8. JRavey

JRavey

Also, the work done on a single-player game isn't a complete waste. If the game is redone, many of the assets can be reused.

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

This.

If it's your first foray into Unity, it will technically be easier to do single player first, just to get your bearings and learn wtf you're doing. Then you won't necessarily shoehorn networking into it, but you can re-use a lot of what you learned, and apply it in developing your multiplayer game.

For example: you can't make a network-ready projectile weapon if you can't make a single player one.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

Get your single player game down first.

Once you got that down look at implementing multiplayer.

Also you have great tools like the Photon server to help you create your multiplayer games.
    www.exitgames.com

They have a full sample with source code working you can be up and running with it in 15 minutes.

11. Din

Din

My project is a small game demo for my university diplom, the project almost done, and multiplayer could give me a big bonus when I will present my project...

I'll try to add it, but as I understand now multiplayer games should start from multiplayer part..

Thanks for replies.

12. madmaxmon

madmaxmon

I'm in a similar situation.

Just starting out in Unity3D, but previously written a game some time ago (same game I am doing in Unity actually). I'm writing a single player game that can be transformed into a multiplayer game, and pondering just finishing the single player, and worrying about multi later, or writing the multiplayer from the outset, or somewhere in between, by implementing as a single player game but incorporating some code in it to allow for more than one player. In other words have the logic in place for several players, without populating that part of the code.

I will probably stick with focusing on single player so I don't get too daunted too early, and give up. Then I will reuse the code and assets, but write it in multiplayer from scratch.

13. echtolion

echtolion

Tacking on multiplayer as an afterthought is very difficult and often very bug ridden.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown

If you're simply updating transforms and a couple of states or messages from one client to the other it can be implemented very simply without any issues.

15. d.toliaferro

d.toliaferro

The game I'm working on now (my first game) is multiplayer and I'm doing ok. In fact it's only multiplayer, no single player option.