Search Unity

Question Single Sided (backface) emission, or Rendering in fr

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Megaloadon, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Megaloadon

Megaloadon

Hello there,
    So my problem is a bit hard to explain. I have a character made out of a jello shell, with an internal skeleton. So let me introduce you to ma boi "Chonker McJello"

Chonker2.PNG
    Chonker1.PNG

The problem is, that I want a rich green slightly transparent jello, without loosing too much details and "whiteness" on the internal skeleton. Of I turn the transparency or saturation of the jello down, the jello looks ugly, if I put the jello as I want, the Skeleton looses too much details/turns green. I have thought of different approaches, but do not really know how to achieve the effect I want.

1. Single sided emission:
    Is there a way to make the jello glow internally and light the skeleton up? The emission should only come from the backfaces.

2. Doing something with the render layers, like rendering the skeleton with transparency on top of the jello again, to make it appear "less affected" by it's color

Everything I have in mind sounds easy but is propably pretty complicated and I don't have a lot of experience with shadergraphs and unity's hdrp. If you have any idea how to achieve the desired effect (maybe not in the way if thought) I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks a lot!