Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Single-Pass Stereo Rendering and Static Batching

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by ddoubledeuce, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ddoubledeuce

ddoubledeuce

Just grabbed the 5.4.0b10 build and I'm noticing some artifacts in the left eye when Single-Pass Stereo Rendering and Static Batching are turned on. Turning off Static Batching makes the artifacts go away.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. aford

aford

Are you using an HTC Vive? I am having similar issues with both these rendering techniques turned on (also only in the left eye) but from what I can tell researching Single-Pass Stereo Rendering isn't fully supported on the Vive yet but coming sometime in the next few months.

Edit: Every object except 1 that is sharing a material and batched together with static batching either has artifacts or is moving throughout the scene in relation to head movement.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  3. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi @aford,

Are you on 5.4.0b10 as well? Do you mind submitting bug with a small repro with the static batching? In the meantime I will do some research on this problem as well.

Since b10 we have fixed a lot of the objects-moving-in-relation-to-the-head problems, so please let me know which ones you are still seeing.

-Will

4. aford

aford

I was on 5.4.0b12 upgrading to 5.4.0b16 seems to have fixed the issue with Static Batching/Single-Pass Stereo Rendering both on. I am seeing smaller performance gains from Single Pass than I did in 5.4.0b12 but still a considerable gain in performance and no static batched objects are moving about.

I also tried the same scene in 5.4.0b17 and with Single Pass Stereo Rendering on the right eye gets a strange warp effect like looking through a fun house mirror. Once again the warp changes with head rotation. This happens regardless of Static Batching being on or off. At the moment I'm sticking with 5.4.0b16 as it working fine but would you @williamj like me to submit a bug report for the warp issue with 5.4.0b17. I haven't browsed the forums for this issue so not sure if it's been reported already or not.

EDIT: Futher analysis of this and it seems to be something weird with the options in Player setting. I experienced the moving objects and the warp effect in 5.4.0b16 when turning on Graphics jobs and had the issue persist after turning Graphics jobs back off. Trying to diagnose what exactly it was I messed with how it renders (forward vs deferred) and toggling between them fixed the issues again.

Last edited: May 6, 2016