Search Unity

Single Pass rendering and Post process effects

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by GuilhermoDuck, Oct 19, 2017.

1. GuilhermoDuck

GuilhermoDuck

Hello guys,

We created a game for desktop VR on Unity 5.6.0p4 and on it we use Unity's post processing effects on Single pass rendering with no problems.

Now we are creating a game for desktop VR on Unity 2017.2 and the post processing effects simply won't work when using single pass rendering. Was something changed? will the patches fix it or is this by design?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  2. swirvithan

swirvithan

Are you using "single pass stereo", or the new "single pass stereo instanced" that was added in 2017.2?

3. GuilhermoDuck

GuilhermoDuck

Hey Swirvithan,
    This is using "Single pass".
    "Single pass instanced' is not yet supported by PSVR, which is one of the platforms we might build for in the future.

4. swirvithan

swirvithan

Hmm... are you using the old style post processing from the Standard Assets, or the new post processing stack? https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing

If you're using the new post processing stack, are you using the Unity Asset store version or one of the branches on github?

And when you say "simply won't work" what kind of images are you getting with the post processing on? Completely white, black, only renders in 1 eye, etc.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  5. GuilhermoDuck

GuilhermoDuck

We are using the new post processing stack available on the Unity Asset Store.

And by "Simply won't work" I mean the images will be rendered with no post processing effects on the VR headset even though when checking the "Scene" tab in the editor we can see the effects properly :/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  6. Dani-10

Dani-10

The curerntly released version of the Post Processing Stack package is not compatible with SPSR. But there is a "beta" version called V2 on github that is supposed to be working with it. They say it's quite stable... i'm going to try it right now ;)

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/322

7. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

Doesn't work. Tried it with 2017.30f3. Been trying to find ANY bloom that DOES function properly with single pass stereo on Gear VR.

8. MichelFF

MichelFF

Hi I have the same problem with Single Pass / android build for Oculus Quest.

To resolve this and have at least a bloom effect working, i used the Beautify plugin (not Free). They recently posted a beta version on their forum beta channel (the builtin version) and it works.

I did not succeed to build it with lwrp though.
    Hope this helps

9. Epic_Cube

Epic_Cube

Hi, thx for sharing.
    I've the same issue here (Oculus Quest). I have a dubt between Beautify and Amplify Bloom ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/fullscreen-camera-effects/amplify-bloom-53299 ) Amplify should work correctly with single pass rendering, but I don't know if lwrp is supported… anyone tried it?

10. Azirell

Azirell

Old problem. Unity doesn't care about Android SPS support.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Android-SinglePassStereoRendering.html
    If you want to make it work you would have to add support manually in accordance with guide above. I personally managed to make bloom work, but on Builtin Render Pipeline, can't handle with LWRP. They tried very hard to make impossible to inject any custom image effect. Sad.

11. JollyTheory

JollyTheory