Search Unity

Bug Since unity 2021 debug breaks on device on MAC+IL2CPP build

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pistoleta, Jan 7, 2023.

1. pistoleta

pistoleta

Simply the breakpoints dont work, and if the debug session stops on one it freezes forever, it happens on Rider and also visual studio, the Rider guys have this issue opened since 10 months ago and found nothing, but seeing how this happens with Visual studio too makes me think maybe it's unity's problem.

Although I'm not sure, it seems to happen on MAC + iOS build , please some help on this matter like... if you can debug normally on your device having mac+ unity2021 which builds you do... etc...

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issu...kpoints-when-debug-player-with-IL2CPP-backend

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issu...aks-and-game-freezes-for-IL2CPP-on-iOS-device

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this. Sorry, I was not aware this was happening.

Based on your experience, it does look like I problem with Unity, since it happens both for Rider and Visual Studio. I've just tried a simple project and I don't see this behavior.

I wonder if this is related to something in a specific project you have. Can you submit a bug report to Unity that includes a project which causes this? Sometimes the specific code being debugged can trigger a problem like this.

https://unity.com/releases/editor/qa/bug-reporting

3. pistoleta

pistoleta

Did you try on MacOSX, and an iOS I2LCPP build?

4. pistoleta

pistoleta

You are right, i just tried on a new creation project and it works, now what are we supposed to do? how do we find the reason of the debugger not working on our project? This is even worse lol

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, I did try that combination.

Is there a chance you can submit your project with a bug report to us at Unity? If not, can you strip proprietary things off the project so it is at a point where you can submit it?

If that is not possible, we can look to enable some logging from the debugger - that might give us some insight.

6. pistoleta

pistoleta

I'm afraid due to the magnitude of the project that would not be possible, currently trying to build with Unity 2022.2 , this problem started with Unity 2021 so im gonna try

7. pistoleta

pistoleta

You mean from Rider's debugger when attaching to the process and so? Or any different log?

Thanks for your support.

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

There is a different log that the Unity player can generate. Let me find the details about how to do that on iOS, and I'll let you know.

9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I don't recall any specific debugger fixes in Unity 2022.2, but it is worth a try.

10. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately it looks like we need a rebuild of the Unity player code to enable the debugger logging for iOS, so that won't work.

You mentioned the Rider log earlier though, can you send that to me via a DM?

11. pistoleta

pistoleta

I mentioned earlier on VStudio doesn't work either but just found out is not true, so it must be a Rider's problem.

12. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Oh, that might be worth mentioning on Rider bug report. They are usually pretty responsive about correcting Rider-specific issues.