Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Since 2020.1.11b importing of Assets or Unitypackages gets stuck with 100% CPU usage

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by truefx001, Jul 16, 2020.

1. truefx001

truefx001

Hi,

since I upgraded from 2020.1.06b to 2020.1.11b and now 2020.1.16b I'm not able to finish importing assets or Unitypackages it gets stuck probably at the last file and is maxing out my CPU to 100% and after awhile the timer stops reacting and is not counting the time passed any more Unity and my system becomes unresponsive and the only way to shut down Unity is through Task Manager with a 100% CPU lag.

Please fix this I never had this ever happen before and like I said 06b worked

2. mxf5351

mxf5351

I have this same problem, whenever i do anything to an object (move, apply a component, ect) its hangs for a 30-60 seconds on "finishing import"

3. truefx001

truefx001

@mxf5351 Try upgrading to the 2020.1 stable version not beta, it is gone for me right now.

4. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I got this bug just now using 2020.1.15f1. I am going to report it but this isn't acceptable. This should NOT BE HAPPENING.
    This is just a 500mb model pack of some dragons how is it causing 100% to decompress?

This error occurs with the Elemental Dragons Pack only from the asset store. I wager it's to do with stupidly large smooth textures tga that are around 60K each in file size. I think Unity should ban formats that are not PNG and that are over 20K in size.

There was no way around the issue, I had to just wait for Unity to do it's thing which took 7 minutes on my gaming rig and it made it unusable with 100% cpu until it finished.

So it decompressed this 500mb pack into several GB because the author I suspect was able ot get away with poor texture compression. This should be a 100MB pack tops but it's not.

On top of this I get an error for each dragon which is 6 of them, who knows if it's connected or not:
    "You are trying to replace or create a Prefab from the instance 'VolcanoDragon_Demo' that references a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject."

I already reported issues with the package manager, a bug regarding Unity setting importing cameras and lights to true which shouldn't be on by default in the fbx files and now this bug.

The asset store users should not be allowed to upload textures larger than 20MB of any kind without asset store reviews not being notified. The review team should block any uploads using TGA or TIFF or any other non PNG format because it's very bad for Unity. There are several smoothness maps going at 60MB each....that's right-smoothness maps....how did this slip by?
    Why did the asset store review team not tell the author that needs to be fixed?

-There are files named as "demo's" for each dragon but they are just packages that do nothing but install stuff that should already be in the package. There are no no demo scenes to speak of.

-There is 1 fbx per animation instead of 1 fbx per dragon with all the animations in it.
    When encountering assets like this you will have to spend more time fixing it than getting it workable for games which means less time spent making games and more time fixing stuff which should already be fixed. This pack is not game ready and shouldn't have got through the store period.

-Again 60MB TGA Smoothness maps for each dragon....

*Update I think I know the cause of the issue now it's definitely the TGA files.
    I upgraded the model to HDRP shader and it once again 100% cpu for a couple minutes just to upgrade 1 dragon to HDRP. Wow this file is unoptimized.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  5. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey folks,

If you notice any particular assets where you've seen a performance regression between 2019 & 2020, please do send them our way. If we've got something to test with, we'll definitely look into the issue.

If it does specifically relate to UnityPackages, then that's useful info too!

& thanks for giving the feedback on the Beta, we all really appreciate it!

6. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

The post above I noticed I did not link to the asset out of respect but since it's a bug it is necessary to link it now.
    You should speak to the asset store developer to get a voucher for the asset and try importing it into Unity as this asset is a great example of the 100% cpu bug and issues. My suspection is that Unity struggles with large textures and there are a few in there tga formats around 60MB but it could be other issues causing the spike too. Of course the current trend shows this 100% CPU issue occurs on mostly model packages. There is a fbx regression bug going around but there are other issues too.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...res/elemental-dragons-pack-117306#description

On a side note I sent an email to Unity asset store team about compensation for having to spend thousands of dollars and getting not very much further in game dev because Unity keeps doing something stupid to break stuff or complicate things. The poor chap thought I was talking about a specific product refund....shows about where the mentality of these folks are.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  7. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

As a general comment: Totally get any stability issues can be frustrating, it's something we've all been making a big effort around recently, and we're definitely starting to see some results. Most of us have worked for other game developers prior to Unity, so we're all definitely aware of the pain points, & we're working super hard to fix them.

In regards to this particular case, I think (?) it does feel a little different to the OPs case which was Unity Packages were ending with 100% CPU utilization & never finishing. For you, it seems like it has 100% CPU utilization, takes a very long time, but does eventually finish importing, would that be correct?

8. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Yes that would be correct after about 10 minutes things go back to normal but we are talking about 100% CPU on an i7 with 16GB of Ram as in my PC literally slows to a crawl over many 1mb fbx files and 60Mb textures making browsing while I wait laggy as hell....an issue which I never experienced in older Unity versions.

I am sure it's the importation of the 60MB smoothness map I complained about. Have you tested the asset out yet?

As for whether this bug is really different from the OP post I don't know because he never mentioned how long he waited, as after a while can mean after 5 when his asset may require 10 minutes. Sometimes Unity seems to stop responding when importing assets but I know this is just a display issue it is actually still importing and just waiting long enough should fix it assuming something else doesn't mess it up like ram issues.

9. markpriem

markpriem

Got a similar issue here with 2020.1.17f1. Importing assets for XR support takes ages (~45 minutes). Even simple PNGs seem to be taking a long time. It is maxing out my Surface Book 2 i7 with 16GB RAM.

10. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Just wanted to follow up with an update for you.

The bug you filed has been verified by one of our QA people - they were able to reproduce what you've experienced with a long import time on this particular package.

It's been moved over to our developers. Myself or one of my colleagues will be looking into it shortly to see if anything untoward is going on under the hood.

11. Barry100

Barry100

I am getting the same issues. When i try to import any skyboxes. Unity 2020.1.17f1
    The importer stops at 83%. This morning I tried to import Skybox Series Free. It has 16 free skyboxes. It took over 45minutes. I ended up force quitting unity through the task manager. In older versions it would take a minute at most.

My pc spec is
    i7processor
    16 gig ram
    Nvidia Gforce RTX 2060 - 6gig

12. George-Ing

George-Ing

Unity Technologies

Hey Barry,

Thanks for that, I've looped that asset into the report that SilverStorm has filed. We'll be checking to check for a performance regression.

As a general note to everyone in this thread: Import time (particularly with textures) can vary drastically based upon the texture sizes & texture importer settings, particularly when comes to texture compression. Import time has always varied drastically, so we're careful to compare like-to-like when testing, & I've gotta thank you all for recommending these specific assets to look into - we will be doing that.

If you want to disable texture compression at import time, you can go to "Unity > Preferences" and disable "Compress Assets on Import".This will make assets faster to import, but will increase your build time (compression is then done before the build)

Edit: Since writing this I've had an update from a member of our team. From his testing, (comparing like-to-like), we are not seeing a performance regression in 2020.1, but rather those particular packages are somewhat costly to import:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  13. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,
    you can avoid the 100% CPU utilization in the editor by reducing the amount of threads that are used by the job system. When importing a texture, Unity breaks the texture into pieces and encodes the pieces separately on different threads. The Editor is set up to use all your CPU cores to reduce the import time. Personally I also prefer to use less cores so that at least I can do other things on my machine until Unity finishes importing. You can configure this using the command line parameter "-job-worker-count " (see docs). Set the number lower than the amount of CPU cores in your system.

Texture importing can take a long time and we are working on different strategies to improve this. Ideally you can continue using the editor while the content loads in the background.

andreiagmu and DaltyD like this.
  14. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

I'm currently having this exact issue on Unity 2021.3.2f1 (but the issue occurred to me since much earlier versions too, circa 2020.x).
    After the last file, the (re)import process gets stuck on "Finishing Import", then I have to kill the Unity process on Task Manager. Or worse, I have to force reboot my PC (because my system gets too much unresponsive at that point).

For context, my hardware is:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz (2 cores, 2 threads)
    12 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R7 350 Series, 2 GB GPU

My processor is very old (I need an upgrade :p), so this may be one of the causes of the bug. (too few cores/threads)

I tried the -job-worker-count command line suggested by @AljoshaD, but my Editor still lags/freezes at "Finishing Import" every time, no matter what value I set -job-worker-count to (0 or 1 are the permitted values in my case).

15. ZuluOneZero

ZuluOneZero

I have this issue with 2021.3.6f1. It's a large textures asset (Terrain Textures - 4K) 7.53 GB and 380 files. High 100% CPU when downloading and it takes a looong time. I worked around it by mouse clicking on the banner bar at the top of the window (I found it by dragging the window around). For some reason this stops the "progress" indicator in the Package Manager and CPU (and GPU) usage drops back to normal. So I'm guessing that should point you to the reason why this bug is occurring. Some kind of update in the Editor UI is scanning the large / quantity of files to work out what's left and gagging on the file size. I've been sitting here holding down the left click mouse button for about ten minutes now and my coffee is getting cold!
    {Edit}
    My issue was that my c:\ drive was full. :) The asset store was unpacking to my Roaming (C:\Users\Zulu\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Texture Haven\Textures Materials) decompression must have been struggling to complete. The final resolution was to move the folder to my spare drive (mklink / j "Original folder path" "Destination folder path")

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  16. lacas8282

lacas8282

I am on unity 2022.2
    My i7 CPU stucked on import: Castle Valley asset, 100% CPU usage, red lights on the pc box.. what happening?
    In unity 2021 it was okay.

And sometimes when I just run my game in unity 2022, suddenly going to 100% and red lights...