Search Unity

since 2018.2, js files in streamingassets are now compiled by unity editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by stephencoorey, Aug 3, 2018.

1. stephencoorey

stephencoorey

I thought unity only supports c# now, but ever since upgrading to 2018.2.0f2, we have started seeing javascript files we are using for a web browser control being compiled and causing compile errors in the unity editor. Do you know why this has changed? Is this a new bug/regression? We don't want the unity editor trying to compile our .js files and currently have to workaround by renaming them in the post build step to stop unity complaining.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unityscript is still supported in 2018.2. (And Boo, for that matter.) Nothing changed, it's been that way in all versions of 2018 that I've used.

--Eric

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

UnityScript (JS) is deprecated, and Unity will no longer let you create a new JS file with the usual menu options. UnityScript files though will still be compiled as before to allow users of UnityScript ample time to convert their scripts (or not need to convert now and get their game released).

At some point in the future you should expect compile support to be removed, probably when they introduce some core changes that break UnityScript, but I don't believe they have announced a schedule.

stephencoorey likes this.