Search Unity

"Simulation" is not a clear name for this

Discussion in 'Unity Game Simulation' started by Claytonious, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

As you can see from the questions on this forum (and I've seen in conversations with my teams and partners), nobody has any idea what this is about when they hear "simulation" and they make many incorrect assumptions which take time to unwind. This impedance happens repeatedly in almost every conversation.

To add insult to injury, there is another offering from unity also called "simulation", which has nothing to do with this. Its forum is adjacent to this one.

Calling this product and forum something more like "automation" would solve the problem, IMHO.

Just an opinion...

laurentlavigne likes this.
  2. ChristinaGuo

ChristinaGuo

Unity Technologies

Hi Clay, thank you for the feedback. We've spent some time this week discussing this internally with the team. We are definitely open to naming the product something more accurate to its functionality.

I understand that you were evaluating the product for your automated QA testing processes. Is the "simulation" name an issue because of what you perceived our tool to be when you first tried it? What did you expect when you tried the tool, and how is it different from reality?

3. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Never used the tool. But from what it seems, "Simulator" might be better for a name from its description.

4. Claytonious

Claytonious

When I speak with my colleagues about the tool, they assume it has something to with AI learning and/or physics and/or load testing, but they're never sure.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

From the name and from the blog post mentioning "Indies can't afford 6000h of human playing QA" that's what I thought too: it somehow play my game and I get the data from play session.

So what is this service?