Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Simulation feedback after initial testing

Discussion in 'Unity Simulation' started by philwinder, Apr 18, 2020.

1. philwinder

philwinder

Hi there,
    I have started playing around with unity simulation. I thought it would be useful to you if I provided some initial thoughts and let you know what issues I had.

This was using usim-v0.8.0-aws (1).zip CLI that was provided to me over email and the quick-start-guide.md with hash 18e48a8.

• Need some documentation to tell people to trust the osx binary
    - `usim login auth`
    - `“usim” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.`
    - System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
    - Unlock and click "Allow Anyway" button
    - Retry auth command.
    • Annoying `[Press Enter]` message. It should just auto open. Because I clicked on it, authorized myself and went back, then it just sat there, waiting for me to press enter.

• Why is there both a summarize and a describe command? They both (notionally) do the same thing. But actually, they return different states...
      - ```
      ➜ mac/usim summarize run-execution vje9aaj
      Execution status: Completed(SchedulerService)
      state count
      ------------- -------
      Successes 1
      In Progress 0
      Failures 0
      Not Run 0
      ➜ mac/usim describe run-execution xxxxx
      Execution ID App Param ID Instance # Attempt # Start Time Duration (ms) State Message
      -------------- -------------- ------------ ----------- --------------------- --------------- ------- ---------
      xxxxx xxxxx 1 1 2020-04-18 14:43:15 60197 Ok
      ``` <- on says state success. The other says state ok?
    • - `mac/usim download manifest xxxx --save-in=RunExecutionData`
      - ```
      ➜ cat RunExecutionData/xxxxx_20200418T145308Z.csv
      run_execution_id,app_param_id,instance_id,attempt_id,file_name,download_uri
      ``` <- No data?
    • As a user I wish the CLI had subcommand-level help so that I can read about what a command does and have some examples of how to use it. E.g. `mac/usim logs --help` returns all commands and no examples.
    • As a user, I am confused by the `<instance-id>` parameter in the logs command, so I don't know how to use that command. There isn't any other command that lists this. I assume it has something to do with the `Instance #` column in the describe command. But it doesn't seem to work when I do that either, so I'm not sure.
    • Ah, I found the logs-arg parameter: ```mac/usim describe run-execution xxxx --logs-arg
      Logs Arg Attempt # Start Time Duration (ms) State Message
      ------------------- ----------- --------------------- --------------- ------- ---------
      xxx xxx 1 1 2020-04-18 14:43:15 60197 Ok
      ➜ unity_simulation_bundle mac/usim logs xxx xxx 1
      Unable to find requested resource.
      ``` <- No logs?
    So the major problems are no logs and no results. So I assume something has gone wrong in the backend.

Next, the dockerfile build.

• I wonder if users are used to docker? Unity already has a high barrier to entry. Is docker a step to far?
    • When I unzipped the `rollaball_linux_build.zip` file, it unzipped the files straight into the same RollaballLinuxBuild directory. Not a subdirectory. So when I built the container it failed because the files were in the wrong place:
      ```
      Step 4/5 : COPY RollaballLinuxBuild/rollaball_linux_build/rollaball_linux_build.x86_64 /tmp/linux_build.x86_64
      COPY failed: stat /var/lib/docker/tmp/docker-builder175892916/RollaballLinuxBuild/rollaball_linux_build/rollaball_linux_build.x86_64: no such file or directory
      ```
    • Then I ran it and it didn't create any images, but I did kill it early so maybe I didn't leave it long enough.

This is a challenging task. It's a great idea, offloading the simulation to the cloud. But I'd recommend that the process needs to be as seamless as possible for it to fit into people's workflows. But I know this is still an early version. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Phil

katyar_unity likes this.
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Checking in, did the Gatekeeper suggestions help you out? I just went through the same process myself, and I needed to make the suggested changes in System Preferences. Also, each command depends on the success of the one before it, so no need to run the next command if you get an error on the previous one. Same for the zip file location, you can specify where you want to unzip it. If that fails, then subsequent steps would not be expected to work and would explain why you don't see the logs. Docker is a very popular container solution https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-docker-and-why-is-it-so-darn-popular/ Users who are familiar with simulation would be likely to be also familiar with Docker.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
unityunity